General A rear window to fit....but no zipper !

Currently reading:
General A rear window to fit....but no zipper !

Hi all!

As a proud new B owner, I am wanting to replace my ripped rear window.
I have bought a secondhand B window but no zipper!

I have tried various zipper "heads", but with no joy.
So.... one is left to try your heads :bang:

Can anyone shed some light or top tips..or even better...does anyone of you loveley people have a zipper for which I could buy!

Kim:)

Well..... It is a "standard" B (is there a "standard B") with a Giallo Orion new paint colour applied ! Looks amazing.

I don't intend to do much with it on the "tuning" front, as it is perfect "as is".
Added an Italian Tri Colour strip to the windscreen....and maybe, (just maybe) a cone air intake in the future !

The rear window is the REAL problem at the moment. Although it is "roofless" in the Spanish sunshine most of the time.

I have sourced an original rear window, in very good condition, so it is a major headache and frustration that I can got get it fitted.

Was at Fiat today. No help ! They only sell the "whole" unit.
The window, the zipper, two clamps and a bit of sticky tape.
The best part of 1000 euros.

Even the parts chap took a sharp intake of breathe before I could !!!!!

Soooo come on chaps.
B owners being B owners, are something "different", this shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone one managed to keep hold of a zipper ?
Maybe a "communal" zipper" that the current owner posts onwards when needed.

Or has anyone come up with "super velcro" that can take the stress of folding !!!
As you can see, I am running out of ideas !

Kim.

Will give that a try. Unsure (like Fiat !) if they'll split a kit....but if you don't ask, you don't get, as the saying goes.

Will report back on the answer.

Any futher idea, mucho appreciated

Will upload some picture of my lovely B.

The chap on ebay selling the rplacement windows does have zippers !
...but they are 5 Dollars (I thought he was based in England).
That is 5 Dollars including the postage from the US to Spain.
You send him 5 Dollars via PayPal....and !
....well, he didn't mention where I send my address to.

A quick google of the address and it throws up that "they" sell allsorts of replacement windows....and everything else aswell. (including the "worlds best water filters for the home")

Whilst it is only chancing 5 Dollars ....and I don't expect the "worlds best zipper" or the "worlds best customer service", I kind of like to get a "feel" of the people I send money to !

Has anyone bought a replacement window from the guy in England, that is in America ?

Hi, I literally have just bought a back window from him. It was all fine, and not dodgy, but through the deal I realised that they have an English ebay username etc, but upon emailing them I got the impression the response came from the States. The window was a bit slow coming (they said they were out of stock and waiting for an order to come). When it did arrive it had come from Germany so I get the impression that there are several companies operating in partnership behind the scenes...

I'd offer you my zipper (ooh err) but as I haven't put my own window in yet and can't say when I will you probably want a faster resolution than that...

I'd pay the $5 and get the zipper from them.

Regards

Well, I have sent them (Germany, America or England) the five Dollars requested...and awaiting the zipper (ohh err !)

As I work away, I have not yet go to my mailbox yet. So fingers crossed....and I will report back.

So....keep hold of your zipper (so to speak) !

....and I may need some tips on getting the bloomin thing on. From what I have read, the "idea" is easy..... the "doing" is hard.

Hopefully with the correct zipper. the job should be relatively easy....

I replaced mine (origional fiat zip but with new window made locally) and it was a bitch of a job :cry:

I think the main problem was that the closest zipper I could find was not correct. I think I eased it in there 1 tooth at a time and I can honestly still see the foot prints on the garage wall where I was struggling with it!! :bang:

At the end of the day.... it was worth it. (y) The previous rear window was very bad. Although nothing compares to the Hard top glass window. Or juat leaving the top down (y)

Good luck

Hi PP,
I've put my window in now. Clearly the right zip helps but I didn't find it too bad a job to do. Fitting it took about 30 minutes the first time. That said with the roof the people on ebay supply you have to be quite careful once the window is in, because if you put any weight on it the zip can start to undo.

Unfortunately it undoes on the 'wrong' side of the zipper, so you have to restart the zip and go around the window again. I ended up putting the window in I think four times as I perfected its position twice then split the zip by accident at least once. The company tell you to stitch the ends of the zip pieces together after its fitted (and nicely provide you with the needle and thread in the pack). This stops it from happening.

My top tips: An assistant is essential, as they can hold the window in about the right position while you fiddle about with the zip on the inside. Its a bit undignified for the person in the car. I ended up straddling the centre console, with my ribs wedged between the seats so my arms were free to do the work. The assistant also makes stitching the ends of the zip loads easier as we were to'ing and fro'ing the needle back and forth from inside and outside the car.

Second tip, release the header bar of the soft top and leave it vertical. It helps to take the pressure off the soft top fabric. However, at certain times drop the header bar horizontal (but unclipped) as at certain points you need the roof fabric under tension...

Good luck!

Five bucks for the zipper ....including postage....and it works.

Infact if I need the whole window one day, I will go to this chap.
Service was as he said !

To fit the window was a bit tricky....but once you get it started, it's fairly simple. The corners are the hardest bit....and you need help.

The trick is, keep it tight (with the assistant holding from the outside...as you zip on the inside.

For anyone who is going to "go for it"..... it really isnt as hard as it first seems !!!

Hope it helps.

Does anyone have a zipper that they no longer require that I can beg, steal or borrow? I might even part with some cash!
I managed to get hold of a 2nd-hand window and just took the old window out but don't think I have the right zipper to put the replacement in.
Can anyone help?

Does anyone have a zipper that they no longer require that I can beg, steal or borrow? I might even part with some cash!
I managed to get hold of a 2nd-hand window and just took the old window out but don't think I have the right zipper to put the replacement in.
Can anyone help?

you have tagged onto a thread about the zipper being available from an eBay seller :confused:

Hey there....

Think this is for me !

Yep. You can get hold of a zipper. I tried loads ....and non worked.

BUT you can get one from the guy on ebay that sells window.
It looks like he is based in the UK (in Rye I recall) and in the US.
He sells "new" modified windows (with zippers) but if you email him, he'll sell you the zipper.

For me he didnt have any in the UK and so sent one from the US...to Spain.

The cost !!! Well that was something like 4.50 US ! And he didnt charge me postage (as I recall)

Check out ebay and search "Barchetta rear window". Just email him that you want to just buy the zip.

If you need any other details, I'll find his address on my ebay.

Kim (anymore help, just reply back or PM me and I'll be happy to help).

....as a P.S. the zip worked a treat. No problems whatsoever.

Thanks, that's a great help.
I think I've found the right guy so I've email him. Hopefully I'll get a reply.
Cheers!

After 22 years, my hood needs to be replaced, not least the window part. But mine doesn't zip open/closed. As the whole hood is €700 (although a German company does an unfitted hood (fabric?) for €350) I am looking for any legal way to deal with the window until I get the money for the whole hood. I also need tonneau seals as I have to bail my little boat out every time it rains!
What is this zipping hood you are all talking about? My hood is a one piece job

Back