Technical 500x driver's door warning light showing open when closed

Currently reading:
Technical 500x driver's door warning light showing open when closed

costa1

My 500x door open warning light is showing that the driver's door is open when its not. Interior light is also on so the system also believes the door is open. Any ideas please?

In the old days the door open was detected by a plunger/button on the door shut. Have a look to see if there is anything that looks like a pimple (the switch would be under a rubbery/plastic cover to keep it clean/dry).

If not, then the detection may be via a micro-switch on the door latch mechanism. You'll have to remove the door card and see whether the plug (it'll be tiny) is still attached, clean/not corroded etc. and give the switch a spray with something WD40-ish to unstick anything sticky.. but grease it up again if the cleaning flushes out all the existing grease.

If the switch/contacts has packed up, from my experience with a boot latch, they aren't available as a separate item and the easiest thing is to just stick a new one on there. It doesn't affect the door locks or the c/locking etc.

Ralf S.

Dear Ralfe S Thanks for your comments. I did indeed find a rubber button on the door pillar which I sprayed with an electrical cleaner and which appears to have solved the problem. For how long who knows still it's a positive start to solving the problem.

Dear Ralfe S Thanks for your comments. I did indeed find a rubber button on the door pillar which I sprayed with an electrical cleaner and which appears to have solved the problem. For how long who knows still it's a positive start to solving the problem.

Nice one!

Under the cover is usually a very simple spring-loaded plunger doodah.. so very few moving parts and quite basic. If you lift off the cover and give it a spray with WD40 (which is a bit oily, compared to contact cleaner) then that will help repel new moisture. Make sure the cover is properly fitted and then smear a tiny bit of grease around the base/lip it grips onto, to keep it water proof.

If the worst happens and the connectors or the spring terminally corrode and it stops working then at least it sounds accessible and not too complicated to fit a new one.

Ralf S.

Back