Technical 4x4 Rear Axle and wheel bearings (possible mod?)

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 Rear Axle and wheel bearings (possible mod?)

Right guys, with the 4x4 rear wheel bearing stock running out and becoming hard to get hold of i have come to this idea.

There is one thing that stops a front wheel baring used on the rear axle and that is the fact the rear axle has a little grove on it.

i have no idea why as it seems totally unnecessary. it is not used for holding oil in as a separate oil seal that sits inside the axle its self does that.

it "could" help in load bearing but with 4 big sturdy bolts holding it all together i cant really see it.

it also is not used to hold the brake backing plate to the axle as the bolts also do that.. it does help hold it in place however in the time when you actually bolt the wheel bearing to the rear axle. but after that the 4 bolts hold it together.

as far as axles go, the front and rear axle splines fit both front and rear bearings.
all dimensions of the bearings also line up, so you could bolt a brake drum to a front wheel bearing with no issue. you also even on the front wheel bearing get the 2 little recesses that is used when removing rear brake shoes.

these are all based on tests i have done on the wheel bearings. in the past few days.

as the only thing i can see this lip on the rear axle is for "holding" the backing plate for the brakes while you bolt the bearing in place..

could the lip be ground down smooth so a front wheel bearing would fit in its place?

like i said. i cant see any other use for this "lip" other than making bolt holes line up more easy while you are putting the wheel bearing onto the rear axle.

whats your thoughts guys?

Talons MOT is coming up and he has had a loose rear wheel bearing now since i have had him. it does not rumble (unless it does and i just dont know it?) or feel "gritty" while the wheel spins free when jacked up.

Last edited:
Iv been thinking about this for a while. I think it keeps the bearing housing central so not to strain the half shaft ? Iv also thought about getting a front bearing and lathing a grove in to it. But that's as far as iv got.

The front bearing has a cv joint so it run central always. But the half shaft is fix by its bearing at the other end so my thinking is, if the bearing is off by 1mm say it will make the half shaft flex when it turns

Yes it will be there to locate the bearing so that the halfshaft runs straight, even though there is very little movement with the four holes it needs to be aligned perfectly to prevent any strain the halfshaft and bearings. Think of it like a wheel spigot. The front does not need it because of the CV joints in the driveshaft.

Machining a groove in a front bearing would be the best way to do it and would not be that hard for someone with the right kit and knowledge.

Just to clarify that UK stock are getting low - not much demand therefore no stockiest willing to hold few pieces on shelf plus some minimum order quantities apply for sure.

Those parst are still manufactured in europe/germany , my set of brand new - not new old stock been manufactured 05/2014.

IMG_23872.JPG

If someone is ok to cover additional courier cost of £20 i'm happyto get in touch with my supplier.

Back