Technical 2005 2.8 jtd (hdi) intermittent not starting/cutting out.

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 2.8 jtd (hdi) intermittent not starting/cutting out.

Autoboxer

A bit of a long story but I'll try and give all the relevant facts (firstly an admission it's a Boxer not a Ducato but I'm hoping for the purpose of my question it doesn't matter)
A motorhome 2005 2.8 jtd (hdi)that I've had for 5 years with no problems recently broke down twice.
The first was after a 250 mile journey then parked in a ferry queue for an hour and the van failed to start, the immobiliser light going out and turning over quickly but not starting. Breakdown service was called and the mechanic connected a jump starter pack (not sure why as the battery was showing no signs of being flat) During the process of connecting the jump leads the positive connection was disturbed causing a poor connection so I suggested he clean the terminal and reconnect which he did and the van then started (I wasn't convinced the fault had been found as the engine was turning quickly prior to the terminal being disturbed).
Next day catch the ferry to Ireland from Wales (so multiple stop and start situations without problem) Then drive 120 miles or so and the van very briefly cuts out and restarts (literally only a fraction of a second but not a good omen) Anyway 3 miles later the van spluttered a bit and cut out then would not restart. Breakdown services called again and arrived 2 hours later a low and behold the van started so I looked a bit silly (not for the first time) luckily while the van was ticking over and I was talking to the breakdown guy it cut out again and would not restart so I asked him to read the codes which he did and said it had multiple injector fault codes and an immobiliser fault code so nothing he could do.
Next the van was taken to a garage who did some diagnostics and said there was no signal from the crank sensor, the crank sensor was replaced and apparently was giving a signal but van would still not start ! Apparently the van was then bump started but was still showing fault codes but the garage had no time to do more tests.
So I decided to take the risk and then spent a couple of weeks in Ireland and then back to Devon doing 500+ miles with no problems (not missing/ no loss of power/and starting ok)
So the van is now running absolutely fine but obviously no fault has been corrected and the fault codes are still occurring so could reoccur at any time so I don't feel confident in taking it too far.
The fault codes are P0204 injector cyl 4 , P0201 injector cyl 1 , P0202 injector cyl 2 and U1600 coded start fault , despite these fault codes the van is currently running fine also not sure why cyl 3 is not showing a fault.
Until I can establish why these fault codes are appearing I'm not happy to go too far so any advice gratefully accepted.
Not sure if it's relevant but the van has an after market cruise control but this was fitted 5 years ago the van has also been professionally remapped but again a number of years ago.
Sorry for such a long post but I 5hink with problem solving always best to have all the facts.
Thanks in advance Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Without wishing to seem rude, and it may be only your complimentary close, but I do not like "Thanks in advance" or similar, as this suggests that you will not post the outcome on this forum, and so help others which could perhaps include me.

Your story about being stuck in a ferry queue seems familiar, so perhaps you are not alone, or have posted previously on another forum?

1. The key code system should only prevent starting. It should not cause the engine to stop when running. If you are having problems with the padlock symbol staying on, I have had a similar experience on my 2006 2.8jtd. I only had one failure to start and OK on immediate second attempt. Later testing gave 2 out of 5 (40%) failures. Cleaning the code receiver connections under the steering column, particularly the aerial connector, has resulted in zero subsequent failures to recognise the key.

2. There was a problem with I thought earlier x244 2.8jtd engines, where the injector cables were slightly too short. You should be able to find thread(s) relating to this via a forum search. That is why replacement connector tails are offered on Ebay. In view of your fault codes this could be your problem. I have not suffered from this but with the engine cover removed for a cambelt change, I took the opportunity to loosen the injector cable clamp and pull the cables towards the injectors by 1 or 2mm, which makes a taught cable into a slack one. However I would have expected rough running rather than the engine stopping, if only one injector failed. Perhaps something to eliminate, rather than a cure?

Removing the engine cover to access the injectors is not as simple as it may seem. There is a projection under the injector cables at the LHS. To gain slack do not remove the injector cable clamp, but instead remove the bracket to which it is fixed. Not easy, but much easier than trying to reassembe the cable clamp.

I have attached a photo of a 2.8jtd with the cover removed . The injector cable clamp is immediatly to the right (vehicle LHS) of the engine lifting lug, on horizontal centreline of picture.

Please take note of my opening remarks, and report on progress.

Attachments

• Ducato 2.8 JTD Engine.jpg
    Ducato 2.8 JTD Engine.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 60
Hi Geoff,
Without wishing to seem rude, and it may be only your complimentary close, but I do not like "Thanks in advance" or similar, as this suggests that you will not post the outcome on this forum, and so help others which could perhaps include me.

Your story about being stuck in a ferry queue seems familiar, so perhaps you are not alone, or have posted previously on another forum?

1. The key code system should only prevent starting. It should not cause the engine to stop when running. If you are having problems with the padlock symbol staying on, I have had a similar experience on my 2006 2.8jtd. I only had one failure to start and OK on immediate second attempt. Later testing gave 2 out of 5 (40%) failures. Cleaning the code receiver connections under the steering column, particularly the aerial connector, has resulted in zero subsequent failures to recognise the key.

2. There was a problem with I thought earlier x244 2.8jtd engines, where the injector cables were slightly too short. You should be able to find thread(s) relating to this via a forum search. That is why replacement connector tails are offered on Ebay. In view of your fault codes this could be your problem. I have not suffered from this but with the engine cover removed for a cambelt change, I took the opportunity to loosen the injector cable clamp and pull the cables towards the injectors by 1 or 2mm, which makes a taught cable into a slack one. However I would have expected rough running rather than the engine stopping, if only one injector failed. Perhaps something to eliminate, rather than a cure?

Removing the engine cover to access the injectors is not as simple as it may seem. There is a projection under the injector cables at the LHS. To gain slack do not remove the injector cable clamp, but instead remove the bracket to which it is fixed. Not easy, but much easier than trying to reassembe the cable clamp.

I have attached a photo of a 2.8jtd with the cover removed . The injector cable clamp is immediatly to the right (vehicle LHS) of the engine lifting lug, on horizontal centreline of picture.

Please take note of my opening remarks, and report on progress.
Hi thanks for the swift and informative reply, regarding your opening remarks it was indeed meant as a "complimentary close" and I'm not sure how it would imply I would not post any outcomes but if it did I apologise and can assure you I will post any progress.

Regarding being stuck in the ferry queue if you have read it before you are right I am not alone as this is the first place I have posted about it.

Reading many of the previous posts I found the technical content encouraging so decided it would be a good place to start and hopefully when I do get to the bottom of the problem it may help others.

Regarding you point 1. I too have experienced the key code light staying on probably half a dozen times in 5 years and it always goes out on a second attempt so the fault could be a "red herring" (should have mentioned this in my first post)

Regarding point 2. I will check the leads but I think like you I would have expected missing rather than complete shut down.

Dare I say thanks again Geoff.

Sadly no real progress on identifying what caused the problem I have checked some of the wiring and a number of connections but other commitments have meant not much time to dedicate to the van.
I can report that although I've not used it a great deal the van seems fine so I have decided to maintain a watching brief in the hope that should the problem occur again it will be more consistent and easier to identify.
I will of course report if I run to ground what the issue is/was (pun intended)

Hi folks, I've not posted for a long time but can share some knowledge regarding intermittent engine faults. Not necessarily related to this , but....

Mine is a 5 speed 2.8jtd 2001 model. It started dropping to idle with no warning, would restart with no problems, then continue for 30-50 miles before doing it again. I suspected the throttle sensor so I replaced that bit it made no difference. After many long evenings trawling the Internet I found a likely solution. A Fiat mechanic stated that behind the glove box is a 5 or 6 pin connector. It will check out fine for continuity with a multimeter, but it IS the problem. Cut it out and solder the pairs of wires together. I did, and it worked. No idea why, but it's fixed.

Back