Technical 1999 Fiat Ducato 2.8 i.d TD Earthing issue

Currently reading:
Technical 1999 Fiat Ducato 2.8 i.d TD Earthing issue

Denis Burke

Hi all, recently after replacing the front shocks in a garage the horn quacked like a duck and stopped working. Then a few days later the right front indicator stopped working, with a fast ticking indicator noise. I replaced the bulb - no joy. I replaced the indicator/flasher 3 pin relay - no joy. I now think that it's an earthing point problem, maybe caused by the work under the lower dash replacing the shocks. I've downloaded the workshop manual but can't find a diagram of where the earthing points might be.

Does anybody have a diagram? Or know where the earthing point for the horn / indicator might be?

Many thanks,
Denis

Hi all, recently after replacing the front shocks in a garage the horn quacked like a duck and stopped working. Then a few days later the right front indicator stopped working, with a fast ticking indicator noise. I replaced the bulb - no joy. I replaced the indicator/flasher 3 pin relay - no joy. I now think that it's an earthing point problem, maybe caused by the work under the lower dash replacing the shocks. I've downloaded the workshop manual but can't find a diagram of where the earthing points might be.

Does anybody have a diagram? Or know where the earthing point for the horn / indicator might be?

Many thanks,
Denis

I'm afraid it may not be quite that simple , i am in the process of finishing several long jobs on the front end of my van . The front indicators are earthed by way of a bolt , in the engine bay , on the left and right chassis members , you really can't miss them . The right side is under the battery just in front of the right engine mount , just follow the battery earth down to the chassis . This is mirrored on the left just in front , yet almost under the air filter box .

I had no symptoms , and found it purely by accident after i decided to shorten the actual van conversion wires on my Hymer . This required new connector blocks , and while this was in process , i discovered what i call black wire . Now i realise you are French so may not understand what i'm talking about , so let me describe what i found .
Basically the wire core is breaking down . It's rotting or corroding if you like . There is no sign of anything amiss from the outside , yet internally the wire core had turned black in colour , instead of the usual shiny brass colour you would expect to see . Like a weed it can creep along the wiring , spreading and infecting several systems . Normally a result of using cheap , low grade wire , it can equally be caused by old wiring . Basically , water has penetrated between the wire and insulation , usually beginning at a plug or similar break . You can't solder it , and crimping is extremely difficult , usually resulting in the crimp falling off . I have only ever seen the earth wire affected in the past , and the only cure is surgery . Cutting out the bad wiring and replacing with new .

I first came across it , on my mothers 1997 Rover Mini , about 6 years ago . The front indicators had become a permanent source of problems for a few years , until i took the bull by the horns and replaced them . I discovered the wire core had turned black , and well to cut a long story , short , ended up rewiring the whole front indicator earth , both sides .
I discovered an advanced infection in the original wiring of my Ducato x230 , year 2000 , spreading into the Hymer conversion wiring . Here again , i ended up doing the same , and rewiring the indicator earth . Cutting back until i found good wiring , and then a little more to make sure . However in my case , i also discovered it spreading into the horn earth which joined into the indicator earthing before running down to the chassis earthing bolt , on the front chassis rail . I cut a good chunk of wiring out from the original loom of the van . As you're also asking about both , i sadly suspect you may also have a similar infection , i would advise an inspection at one of the plugs on the indicator earth . It should be possible to remove the connector spades from the block , and so enable an inspection of the wiring , at the crimping on the spade . Look for a black core !

Last edited:
@Denis Burke

Hi Denis,

Edit. Isee that @airwave has posted while I was typing, and I am already aware that he has an x230. So Iam deleting part of my post.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May I suggest another common point, which is a connecter between the dash and engine bay wiring. This could have been disturbed when the front suspension struts were replaced.

Back