General 1963 500D Bonnet

Currently reading:
General 1963 500D Bonnet

hamiltos2

Q1. Can anyone confirm if a 500D bonnet is definitely different to later F & L variants ( I believe so ) ?
Q2. Assuming it is different , will a Giardiniera bonnet fit ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.đŸ˜€

Hi yes it’s definitely different. It’s the mounting flange which differs.
It needs to be a D or N bonnet if it’s a Giardiniera.

Hi yes it’s definitely different. It’s the mounting flange which differs.
It needs to be a D or N bonnet if it’s a Giardiniera.
Are you confirming that any Giardinieria bonnet will fit my 500D?

you can buy the mounting flange on its own and fit it to a later bonnet... thats what they do in Italy...
Passione 500 used to sell them, if not on the site email and ask...
Same they buy a cheaper later front panel and cut the hole behind the badge for the horn...

you can buy the mounting flange on its own and fit it to a later bonnet... thats what they do in Italy...
Same they buy a cheaper later front panel and cut the hole behind the badge for the horn...
Many thanks for this insight

there is lots of stuff they do that we don't.... worth signing up for the fiat 500 Club of turin, its all in Italian but you can get through it using google Translate

Is there a specific bonnet bracket for the D because looking on Ricambo here in the UK , their brackets say ‘All models’
I assume I will have to cut off the bracket on a F/L bonnet?

BTW, you haven't fitted a Ducati 996 in a 500 by any chance , if so, I think we met a couple of years ago

I think it is spot welded in you drill out the spot welds
Don't believe everything dealers say....
I have an N and show me a dealer in the UK that has ever seen one let alone owned one...
Speak to Andrea at Passione 500 he and his friends are probably the most knowledgeable peopel regarding N/Ds

If I get time I will take some pics of the earlyy bonnet mounts

BTW, you haven't fitted a Ducati 996 in a 500 by any chance , if so, I think we met a couple of years ago
nahh used to have a 996, now have a few very rare 1940s/50s Ducatis such that Ducati would lie to borrow them for their museum..
For some reasom I am attracted to the earliest of what ever I get into

OK , I met this chap on a car rally that was building a trick space framed 500 including a 996 engine but also aiming to keep it as standard looking as poss. Must follow up on that one . Could be a bit of a handfull with 180 bhpđŸ˜¬

Just realised that I am being dumb, I can remove the bracket from my old D bonnet and attach to new F/L version?

I'd just buy a cheap hot hatch for less money at least you would stand a chance of getting out if you hit anything or anything hit you...
A New N would do 52mph flat out... they were simple town cars...
I can appreciate people want to "Mod" their cars so each to their own....

Back