Technical 1,4 petrol consumption

Currently reading:
Technical 1,4 petrol consumption

Thanks Most Easterly that makes me feel better - thats the advice I had before buying but you can't help being a bit jealous of the extra mpg's.......and the low tax.

Tbh I doubt you'll have been getting better MPGs in a diesel, I suspect you'd actually getting worse MPG in the winter with your usage patern in comparison with a petrol as you'll never fully warm up and diesels from experience a bloody awful on fuel on local and short journeys when not upto full operating temperature.

Thanks I'm feeling better all the time about going petrol.....and Preston North End won the play-offs too........

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1432538630.399817.jpg

I have had mu Qubo for a month now, 2009 dynamic. I chose petrol because my last diesel car needed a DPF at a cost of £800 because of my short journey pattern. I average 15 miles daily with mixture of dual carriage ways and country lanes and the average mpg is 39.2, average mph of 24. I'm quite happy with that, not a lot of oomph but it's not that sort of vehicle.

Tbh I doubt you'll have been getting better MPGs in a diesel, I suspect you're actually getting worse MPG in the winter with your usage pattern in comparison with a petrol as you'll never fully warm up and diesels from experience are bloody awful on fuel on local and short journeys when not up to full operating temperature.

..and the Qubo engine (maybe not uniquely that one) is awful at getting warm in winter. Also pretty poor at staying warm too if you get it to temperature on the motorway then go into town traffic.

I'm interested in your hypothesis on the PHEV growth and the potential reduction of diesel production. If electric cars get to having a good range then I'd be very interested - when costs reduce somewhat.
Tesla have made the electric car 'sexy' with their sports model (0-60 < 4 secs and a superb range of some 250+ miles) and are now producing a family saloon with good figures but the prices are still rather high.

I think that motor manufacturers have got to stop wasting time/money/effort on their so-called concept cars that will neither enter production or ever be bought by a self-respecting motorist as they look so ridiculous.
If they get a good power unit that delivers the punch we (users) would buy and the running costs are low (lower than petrol and safer for the environment ) then a lot more people everywhere would be happy - motorists, eco-warriors and makers alike.

I'm all for innovation but we seem to have our heads in the sand re fossil fuel for cars and the production of alternatives is painfully slow.

R-V-M

Back