General 1.4 16V N/A question

Currently reading:
General 1.4 16V N/A question

Hi guys,

Just been for a back to back test drive of a second hand 8v and 16v 1.4 and the 16V seemed to not like pulling from cruising at 2k RPM. The RPM seemed to waiver by about 100rpm and felt like the power was undulating, eventually it picked up and pulled but not as well as everywhere else in the range. It did the same in every gear. My question is: is this a typical characteristic of the 16V engines or is this one is simply a bit dodgy? The interior was pretty ropey and there some weird marks on the outside so I didn't buy it but thought I had better ask so I know for future test drives.

Cheers

Not sure, the 16v engines have a lot more top end grunt than the 8v, which are more torquey low down, and pretty much useless the higher you go.

I use 'grunt' in the loosest possible term as well. ;)

Yeah I appreciate the 8v will give more low down torque and the 16v more peak power (even taking port disablement in to account) - just seems weird it didn't want to pull immediately at about 2k rpm.

The 8v seemed like a good engine and suitably more powerful than my 12 year old 1.2 8v (as you would expect).

if below 2k in 3rd in my 16v bravo it wont really pull, anything above 2k it should take off, I would also imagine the 1.4 16v in the punto should be quicker as the car is lighter

Yeah I appreciate the 8v will give more low down torque and the 16v more peak power (even taking port disablement in to account) - just seems weird it didn't want to pull immediately at about 2k rpm.

The 8v seemed like a good engine and suitably more powerful than my 12 year old 1.2 8v (as you would expect).

Maybe it was a bad 'un then. Best thing you can do is drive another one to compare. The 8v is a good engine around town, but worthless at motorway speeds (4krpm @ 70mph!).

Yeah I agree I need to try and drive more than one, both 8v engines were very similar as you would expect and neither car was in particuarly bad state where as the 16v engined car was not as good a state inside so had possibly not been looked after too well under the bonnet either.

There aren't that many 16v engined cars around me so I can see a busy weekend of city visits coming up!

Back