Technical 1.3MJ - any worthwhile engine oil additives?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3MJ - any worthwhile engine oil additives?

If I had to describe the sound of my wee 1.3MJ I’d say it is a slightly agricultural sounding engine. It’s done 50000 miles so fairly young, but suspect the timing chain needs replacing as there is a tinkly type of rattle as just applying some throttle from idle, worse when cold.

Secondary to that is a more solid sounding top end rattle when applying the throttle it gets much louder. Sounds like an old fashioned diesel, hence the agricultural description. If it were petrol you’d say it had a serious need for tapper adjustment.

I suspect the oil is a little old, so will replace (with the right spec oil) when doing timing chain. Question is whether it is worth using any additives in this engine?

Back in the day I’d have put Slick 50 in my cars once a year but slipped out of that habit over a decade ago now…

Well, I had an issue with mine, DIESEL as well, it started as a ratle noise and ended up with an engine swap. The problem was that the timing belt (chain) got a bit loose and started to dig on the oil pump, that lead to debris damaging one of the crankshaft bronze and the connecting rod ended up breaking after a first repair. Always check that you have the oil at level (it's kinda critical in this engine) and check the timing belt wear.

If I had to describe the sound of my wee 1.3MJ I’d say it is a slightly agricultural sounding engine. It’s done 50000 miles so fairly young, but suspect the timing chain needs replacing as there is a tinkly type of rattle as just applying some throttle from idle, worse when cold.

Secondary to that is a more solid sounding top end rattle when applying the throttle it gets much louder. Sounds like an old fashioned diesel, hence the agricultural description. If it were petrol you’d say it had a serious need for tapper adjustment.

I suspect the oil is a little old, so will replace (with the right spec oil) when doing timing chain. Question is whether it is worth using any additives in this engine?

Back in the day I’d have put Slick 50 in my cars once a year but slipped out of that habit over a decade ago now…
You know the oil is old - you said it’s flashing the red warning light meaning it’s overdue a change. (an earlier post). Each DPF regen ends up ‘diluting’ the oil with diesel fuel. It will sound a lot sweeter once that’s been changed. Mine (47k miles) sounds more rattle-y with supermarket diesel, and much smoother with Costco diesel (which is ‘super’ or ‘V power’ equivalent for less than Sainsbury’s regular.

Sadly no reasonably priced CostCo fuel available to me now I’ve moved away from those densely populated areas I used to stomp around in. 😩

Back