Technical 1.2 Pop Servicing.

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Pop Servicing.

chas379

72 Year Old teenager
Eventually booked my OH's 1.2 pop in for servicing and have decided to go for the 18K service and had a fixed price of £218. However there are 2 extra things that could be done for an additional £18 which I could take up the option of or leave alone:

Tunap 327 Engine Interior Cleaner, which is put in engine oil and then engine run for a while before draining oil and replenishing with fresh. Clears out the crud.

Premium 973 Petrol Protection, I asume is added to fuel and eventually cleans the system out.

Both, of course, highly recommended by Fiat. Any views on these, are they essential and/or a good thing, or is it just another money spinner???:confused:

Eventually booked my OH's 1.2 pop in for servicing and have decided to go for the 18K service and had a fixed price of £218. However there are 2 extra things that could be done for an additional £18 which I could take up the option of or leave alone:

Tunap 327 Engine Interior Cleaner, which is put in engine oil and then engine run for a while before draining oil and replenishing with fresh. Clears out the crud.

Premium 973 Petrol Protection, I asume is added to fuel and eventually cleans the system out.

Both, of course, highly recommended by Fiat. Any views on these, are they essential and/or a good thing, or is it just another money spinner???:confused:
£218 is an absolute ripoff.

Any views on these, are they essential and/or a good thing, or is it just another money spinner???:confused:

:yeahthat:

I suggest you read this thread.

Far more important is making sure the brake and clutch hydraulic fluids are changed - I don't know if that's included in your fixed price or not.

As Maxi says, you'll likely get better value from going to an independent.

With the utmost of respect, I would find a good local independent.

Concerning the engine interior cleaner. I had this conversation with other forum members a while back and was advised that Fiat do not recommend any form of engine flush or cleaner. This was later reiterated to me when I had our POP serviced at a not so local Fiat dealer.

Petrol protection? Never used it in the 25 years I've owned cars. What on earth are they trying to sell here?

18k service. Well you probably need a brake fluid change. I've just had my Cadillac done and that cost me 40 quid on the nose. An oil and filter change shouldn't cost any more than 85 quid. As for plugs, well you can buy them for 12 quid off the famous auction site and fit them for that price. I will never forget when we had our MX5 plugs changed. The plugs cost 11 quid, the labour rate to fit them was £48!

Honestly, I'd get the job done elsewhere, even if you have to buy the genuine Fiat parts yourself and get an indy to do the service. I've already been buying genuine items from the auction site at a much reduced price and I will keep them until the next service.

Make sure too, that they don't intend any unnecessary diagnostic hook ups as many places will charge you additional for doing that.

I really hope you find somewhere that will do your service for a good price.

Hi chas379,

Good advice as always on here.

Could you let us know the age of your car and mileage as well? Will help in advising what bits you defo need for your service and what you can challenge the dealer for.

21 months old mileage coming up to 15K so I'm looking at Oil and Filter change, Pollen filter and Spark plugs plus usual top ups.
Getting a couple if independent quotes also.

21 months old mileage coming up to 15K so I'm looking at Oil and Filter change, Pollen filter and Spark plugs plus usual top ups.
Getting a couple if independent quotes also.

At first when I saw the pollen filter I though it wouldn't be needed since you have no air conditioning but then realised that it's been fitted to all cars regardless. If you suffer from hay fever you pay for what you get.

That differs on mineral oils and here is a list of the oils you can get that are not as 'promoted'...
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-904-fiat-955535-s2.aspx
OILMAN recommended the Fuchs as value for money but this Castrol is currently discounted in Halfords at the moment at £32. I bought some over the w/e and got a further 15% discount with a trade card. Unsure about the Magnatec and have got mixed messages since it seems to need a few long runs to do its work. Originally a fan of Selenia but have now changed my mind. Would be very tempted to get this as the ultimate oil but would probably put it in the suitcase to bring home if I was in the US. It is probably the best oil that you can get at the moment in the 5w40 ACEA C3 since it is a PAO Class IV oil. It does not have the Fiat 9.55535-S2 approval which is not essential.
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/102403-16-important-oil-questions-and-answers-8.html#post4769534

Spark plugs. Standard NGK. No brainer. Unique plug with a special tip. At 15K you're losing mpg.

Oil Filter. You will need an OEM one - Fiat supplied e.g. (shop4parts, etc.) There are better ones out there that filter down to 5 micro something but you're in warranty so let's stay there.

Air filter. Paper. KISS principle.

Brake Fluid. I would say NO. Too soon at 21 months and would stretch it for another few months. It should be done every 2 years but no one is doing it. IMHO 2.5 years is OK providing you car wasn't sitting too long in a sales lot. Life of brake fluid is 3 years. (see note below)

Clutch fluid. Nothing in the service manual about doing it.

Suggest buying the bits and agreeing on a labour charge.
Pollen (20min), Oil & filter (30min), Spark plugs & air filter (40mins) remainder ('service' checks) - that's nearly 2 hours.

If you could include the Brake fluid (30 mins) for a 2 hour labour charge you would be doing well. All you would need on the next service is a Low mileage and possibly front brake pads.

If you decide to use the Fiat supplied oil from the garage I would have to know exactly what oil is being used.

Last edited:
I've looked at a local independent who does Fiats. He came back after checking the oil, spark plug and filter requirements as per manufacturer's recommendation and quoted £115 inclusive of Labour and VAT. Unfortunately I do not have the time or wherewithall to attack this myself but appreciate the input as the saving is £103.(y)

I've looked at a local independent who does Fiats. He came back after checking the oil, spark plug and filter requirements as per manufacturer's recommendation and quoted £115 inclusive of Labour and VAT. Unfortunately I do not have the time or wherewithall to attack this myself but appreciate the input as the saving is £103.(y)
I don't quite understand? What is there to attack if he's doing the work?

I don't quite understand? What is there to attack if he's doing the work?

If I could I would aim to do the job myself or buy the parts and then get the independent to do it. However with my schedule at the moment i just do not have the time.

If I could I would aim to do the job myself or buy the parts and then get the independent to do it. However with my schedule at the moment i just do not have the time.
Well, as you're under warranty you can't do it yourself. Why not get the independent to do it? It'll be cheaper at least.

Sounds like a cheap price but he would be cutting corners on the oil. Most indies are using a multiple purpose oil that does both diesel and petrol. Learnt this from speaking with a supplier of branded oil. Oil filter needs to be OEM for the warranty.

Curious to know if anyone else on the FF sees the issue with this offer...
http://www.autolusso.co.uk/servicing/mito-giulietta-servicing.html

At first when I saw the pollen filter I though it wouldn't be needed since you have no air conditioning but then realised that it's been fitted to all cars regardless. If you suffer from hay fever you pay for what you get.

Oil Filter. You will need an OEM one - Fiat supplied e.g. (shop4parts, etc.) There are better ones out there that filter down to 5 micro something but you're in warranty so let's stay there.

Air filter. Paper. KISS principle.

Brake Fluid. I would say NO. Too soon at 21 months and would stretch it for another few months. It should be done every 2 years but no one is doing it. IMHO 2.5 years is OK providing you car wasn't sitting too long in a sales lot. Life of brake fluid is 3 years. (see note below)

Clutch fluid. Nothing in the service manual about doing it.

Suggest buying the bits and agreeing on a labour charge.
Pollen (20min), Oil & filter (30min), Spark plugs & air filter (40mins) remainder ('service' checks) - that's nearly 2 hours.

I changed the pollen filter on our own POP myself. What an absolute pain in the ass if you have huge hands like I do! I am not looking forward to changing it next year I can tell you. I will do so though, as I bought three original Fiat pollen filters for a dirt cheap price.

Concerning the oil filter, agreed, make sure it is a Fiat one. I was charged £9.98 for the oil filter used by Fiat on our service in February. The same filter (I've checked the part number) can be bought on the famous auction site for £6.30 inclusive of delivery.

Brake fluid, well to comply with the warranty, you'll have to have it done at 24 months, irrespective. As said earlier, shouldn't cost anymore than 40 quid at an independent. Just make sure you buy genuine Fiat branded brake fluid and keep the receipts and don't forget to get your service log stamped when you have it done.

Air filter, again, the 1.2 air filter I believe (disclaimer, you would have to check), is the same as the air filter in the KA and can last time I checked, be bought cheaper than the Fiat one, again on the auction site.

As for the oil, well, whilst under warranty, just stick with Selenia then put something else in once the warranty has expired if you really want to.:)

brake fluid doesn't need to be genuine, just dot 4

I understand, but to ensure zero issues should Fiat challenge anything, you can't possibly go wrong if you've used their branded stuff? Besides, I doubt it will cost any more than a couple of quid more than some generic DOT4. I bought genuine General Motors DOT4 brake fluid for the brake fluid change on my Caddy a few weeks ago. It cost me £5, so I doubt the Fiat stuff will exceed that.......

I understand, but to ensure zero issues should Fiat challenge anything, you can't possibly go wrong if you've used their branded stuff? Besides, I doubt it will cost any more than a couple of quid more than some generic DOT4. I bought genuine General Motors DOT4 brake fluid for the brake fluid change on my Caddy a few weeks ago. It cost me £5, so I doubt the Fiat stuff will exceed that.......
They can't challenge anything. Dot4 is Dot4 is Dot4 is Dot4

Back