Technical 08 Bravo 1.4 Dynamic 90hp Airbag Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical 08 Bravo 1.4 Dynamic 90hp Airbag Warning Light

liamsteeth

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice really. So I currently have the driver and passenger airbag warning lights on, which do not come on immediately after starting the car, but more or less the instant I drive off. This came about not long after one of my battery terminal clamps became loose and kept popping off. With that now fixed, the light remains. I took it to the garage, who checked the fuses and connections under the seat, which were fine, but they couldn't get any diagnostics read out of the Airbag ECU.

So the consensus seems to be that the ECU has packed up and needs replacing. I'm fairly handy with cars, and It seems a relatively simple job, but I just wanted to confirm is it wise to do yourself? And if so, are there any guides on how the centre console comes apart?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Hi,

Just after a bit of advice really. So I currently have the driver and passenger airbag warning lights on, which do not come on immediately after starting the car, but more or less the instant I drive off. This came about not long after one of my battery terminal clamps became loose and kept popping off. With that now fixed, the light remains. I took it to the garage, who checked the fuses and connections under the seat, which were fine, but they couldn't get any diagnostics read out of the Airbag ECU.

So the consensus seems to be that the ECU has packed up and needs replacing. I'm fairly handy with cars, and It seems a relatively simple job, but I just wanted to confirm is it wise to do yourself? And if so, are there any guides on how the centre console comes apart?

Thanks in advance.

Pete
Stop!
Get the all the codes read correctly with a good diagnostic tool.
I have used a Snap On Zeus, but many forum members use Fiat Multiecuscan with good results also.
If no physical faults with the airbag system, it is possible the BSI unit (the box behind the centre consol) has stopped recognising the airbags etc. due to your battery clamp issue and may just need telling that they are there, this is known as "proxi alignment" . The BSI talks to the main ECU as well as all the other sensors etc.
One of my daughters bought a 2010 Punto Evo with a faulty passenger seat sensor which threw up similar messages, the previous owner had tried to repair it and in doing that damaged the BSI unit. I fitted a brand new one, but until I had used the Snap On tool to run the "proxi alignment" program it wouldn't clear the faults.

Stop!
Get the all the codes read correctly with a good diagnostic tool.
I have used a Snap On Zeus, but many forum members use Fiat Multiecuscan with good results also.
If no physical faults with the airbag system, it is possible the BSI unit (the box behind the centre consol) has stopped recognising the airbags etc. due to your battery clamp issue and may just need telling that they are there, this is known as "proxi alignment" . The BSI talks to the main ECU as well as all the other sensors etc.
One of my daughters bought a 2010 Punto Evo with a faulty passenger seat sensor which threw up similar messages, the previous owner had tried to repair it and in doing that damaged the BSI unit. I fitted a brand new one, but until I had used the Snap On tool to run the "proxi alignment" program it wouldn't clear the faults.
Hi, thanks for replying. So I used myself an Autel Autolink, with all the fiat info downloaded onto it, and it wouldn't recognise the airbags at all and the garage had the same issue. I've no idea which diagnostics tool they used. I think the BSI is the small box we're talking about here....I was told part no.51873889. I have also read this; that the error codes will still remain even if you replace it, so i'm wondering what the best course of action is. The Snap on tool is worth more than the car, so do I need to take this to a proper Fiat garage or something?

Hi, thanks for replying. So I used myself an Autel Autolink, with all the fiat info downloaded onto it, and it wouldn't recognise the airbags at all and the garage had the same issue. I've no idea which diagnostics tool they used. I think the BSI is the small box we're talking about here....I was told part no.51873889. I have also read this; that the error codes will still remain even if you replace it, so i'm wondering what the best course of action is. The Snap on tool is worth more than the car, so do I need to take this to a proper Fiat garage or something?
I am retired but even when I had a workshop I couldn't justify a Snap On tool, fortunately for me I have a friend who has and kindly gives me access.
It may be worth looking into the "multiecuscan" thing I mentioned, several Forum members use it, I believe it may be able to do the "proxi alignment" plus a lot of other stuff, there may even be a helpful member near you, so worth looking at the multiecuscan area on the Forum. There is a company called Gendan I think that can give you prices etc. plus tell you which version suits your needs, as different leads and software program to load on your Laptop, it needs Windows O/S which is why I don't use it running Linux.
This is the BSI unit I replaced after fixing the passenger seat sensor on the daughters 2010 Punto Evo so your Scudo one will have different part no.

Attachments

• DSCF0688.JPG
    DSCF0688.JPG
    456.7 KB · Views: 41
So I took your advice and I did seek someone out who had the multieuscan kit, and the issue seems to have been resolved. I’ll keep an eye on it, but all seems normal again!

Back