General Ducato code problem

Currently reading:
General Ducato code problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry budd

i have a dicato diesel van ,year 2,000

starts first time in the mornings.but after driving for a period of time

and i turn off the engine, when i try to start again the key code light stays on

then i have to wait between 10 & 30 minutes before the light goes off

then i can start the engine.
a fiat garage fitted a new aerial & code box charged me £140.00
did not solve problem

then told me it will now cost £900.00 to fit a reconditioned fuel pump.
because the fuel pump is part of the security system

is it possible to bypass the system :

Last edited:
Re: Dicato code problem

Dont know if you can bypass the system i wouldnt have thought so if its a fuel pump as then you would run out of fuel but maybe i would consider buying a fuel pump off a breaking ducato it will save you a lot more money, also consider ebay for a second hand one.

And consider getting a qoute elsewhere if you manage to get a part, fiat charge extortionate rates :)

I would also ask for a new fuel pump at 900 quid fitting not a reconditioned one

Hope this helps (y)

There is no way that a fuel pump will cost you £900!:eek: (unless its different from commercials to cars!) The unit may be about £100, the labour will be no more than £300... To change the pump, you have to drain the tank, and being a diesel, you may have to drain the lines, and re-prime the fueling system. But tbh, it souds like the bit thats malfunctioning is the fuel cutoff mechanism, which might be a bolt-on part to the fuel pump, it might be worth checking the eper catalog (available on this site) to see what the fuel pump and security systems actually consist of.

£900 isn't that bad,infact compared to other manufacturers its good! Thats the only weak point in diesels I think if the pump goes your f*cked.I dont think you can bypass a 2000 model(dont quote me on that!)the earlier ones you certainly could.

Alex...were talking high pressure pump here.

Hi Guys

I have the same problem, key code is getting worse and very unreliable.

Anyone have any success in ...

Removing the immobiliser

Reflashing the ECU as advertised in Ebay etc.

This is my new campervan and I've had it for 4 days and can't now use it as it too unreliable.

2000 Ducato 2.8 i.t.d.

Cheers

Simon:cry:

I have heard of people removing the immobiliser using a chisel and connecting the fuel pump directly. You will have no more problems but the Van will be at a certain ammount of risk of theft. Any mech worth his salt will sort it for you

Hi

Aguy in Fiat advised feeding the pump directly with 12V but when I tried was unsuccessful. I now know a guy who will flash the ECU so that the requirement for a code is gone, which is preferable to having an unreliable immobiliser.

Anyone know where the ECU is? I've taken both sides of the lower dash off, crawled underneath, checked the engine bay, I found the yellow code box which is near the steering wheel but no ECU!!

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Simon:confused:

The ECU can be accessed through the OBD11 port which should be located in the fuse box under steering wheel

Hi

I think my Ducato is an older model as the fusebox is in the glove box, passenger side. Mine's a 2.8itd not a jtd.

Simon

I would have my doubts about flashing the ECU as this may effect other inputs from other sensors. I would still go with physical removal. Yes, there is a security aspect but there is no point having a secure vehicle which will not start.

Yes indeed, fix it properly, and there will be no guarantee it wont happen again.

hi new member ,(joined last year first time iv written) iv bypassed many of these code systems .3 pin plug going to code control unit @ rear of pump unplug - smash of control unit (dont damage solinoid behind control unit) need to remove 2x shear bolts that secure control unit use vice grips once removed check which wire @ 3pin plug you disconected is the ignition supply (sure its middle) solder to the wire on top of solinoid , tape up 2 exposed wires left over , now disconect ( large plug on code box next to steering coloum yellow-green or black in colour depending on year produced this stopes code light from coming on) van shall now start but you dont have an imobbilizer , dont pay any more than £200 for this to be done thats what i charge thats my knowllage included in that well now iv told you all you can save loads and do it yourself good luck .......

Last edited:

£200! I used to do it for £50! There are many people confident(good)enough to carry this out without damaging the pump but like I say I have seen damaged pumps,your money/your van;)

Cheers Chickiboy1

I've just found a local diesel pump services who will take out the anti theft unit in the pump and enable a normal stop solenoid.They said they will test it as well for £170+vat.

I've given up finding the ECU, dashboard partially out, carpets up, panels undone, the Pump looks the best option now.

Thanks for your help!!

Simon

Hi. smokindragon.
Let us know what you do to fix your code problem, i have a 2000 2.8 camper, i have been told key code problems are rare?

Hi

Just had the fuel pump mod done - cost £75, and van will now start all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down side is that I now need another immobiliser, but at least it starts when I need it too, not 4 hours later after filling up with diesel(n)

It has to be the mechanical pump for this to work.

Cheers

Simon:slayer:

Well I have a ducato 1998 1.9td which has been a pain in the ass recently. I have put in a new camshaft, vaccum pump and thermo control switch. There was a wiring problem with the thermo control switch which caused the some cables to melt and have to be rewired. When camshaft was fitted my van started first time and ran for about 10 mins and then stopped due to wiring problems now it won't restart after being rewired. I take it from reading this forum page it is the immobiliser can someone tell me how you go about resetting the immobiliser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back