Technical Removing a rear fog light

Currently reading:
Technical Removing a rear fog light

Argonought

It's about GO! not SHOW!
Just noticed a bit of moisture in one of my rear fog lights (the early ones mounted towards the middle of the hatch) so thought I'd give it a clean and then seal it.

Removed the two hex bolts and the two self tapers but the black plastic cover on the inside of the hatch, that would give access to the mounting bolts, is very stubborn to remove:mad: .

A good steady pull is the answer. There are 8 clips to free (potentially 10 since 2 aren't used on mine).

The next problem is removing the number plate light cluster. Remove 4 nuts and then use a pair of pliers to squeeze each of the two clips so that the assembly comes away easily - you don't want your paintwork chipped!

After that it's a doddle as just two nuts free the fog light.

It's at this point that you wish you'd bought a new light assembly before starting as the fog light can't be taken apart!:bang:

Last edited:
SLOVAC said:
Is it a sealed unit then?
Not actually sealed but mine had a fair bit of gunge inside:yuck: and you can't access the reflector etc to clean it properly.

In the end, just gave it a very good rinse/shake with boiling water and a cleaner which removed most of the muck.

I'm pretty sure the reason it leaked (almost certainly from new) was due to moulding pips not properly removed during manufacture. Cleaned them off with a Stanley and the rubber gasket now makes a nice flush fit.

So far, after three days of rain, no sign of the leak returning :)

Back