Styling new bonnet vent! it works!!!

Currently reading:
Styling new bonnet vent! it works!!!

fimmo

i have alwyas liked the renault 19 16v bonnet vent from the phase 2 version of the car. i fitted the rgm plastic version to two of my previous xr2's! but recently i was able to get hold of a real vent from a scrapped renault (the real one's are made from metal and are two piece!)

i primed and painted it myself but got my pals at their bodyshop to lacquer it to give it a better shine as tinned lacquer is just a waste of time.

cut the bonnet and fitted it myself within an hour......

vent.jpg

the vent sits just behind the k+n so the water that gets in (very very little) just falls down behind the vent,now the vent get's cold air from the vent and the usual pipe that come's with the filter.

my aim was not only to give my induction kit maximum cold air but to try and lower the under bonnet temp. and it work's!!!

usually cinq's run at 90 on the temp gauge bit more in the summer heat but since fitting the vent i run at a very constant 70!!! it only goes above that if i'm sitting in the car at idle speed but once i've started moving again it goes back down!!!

10/10 for function but for some reason i'm not sure the vent suit's the cinq 100 percent??? whatever,it does the job it's supposed to do and now i have an excellent induction noise when i hit the accelerator,you really do hear it sucking the air in!

Looking good mate, How do you seal it to the bonnet and ensure its water-tight (Other than the holes at the front)?

it fit's to the renault 19 by 6 bolt's underneath it, so i just made a template of the original hole,cut it then drilled the 6 holes that surround the vent and bolted it in! job done!

it's got a rubber seal around it that comes as standard on the renault so i used that but i also sealed it underneath with silicon sealent just to make sure!

by the way, if anybody is interested i can get my hand's on another vent with seal for £20 it'll need to be painted and fitted by yourself but it really does work well!

Mate your cars certianly taking on a unique look, what with that front bumper and now the bonnet vent.

Looking pretty good, keep up the good work.

Brian

i made the bumper! (sometimes get bored and my hand's have to modify!) the top half of the bumper is the original cinq bumper and the bottom half (from the black line down) is a sei sporting bumper!

it needed a lot of cutting and bonding and even some melting but thats the finished result!

a lot of my friends laughed when they saw me cutting all the bumpers up but were impressed when they saw the final result!

The bonnet vent looks way cool! :D

Might be tempted to do a similar thing on my uno as it gets quite hot and ive always wanted a renault19 vent, always liked the look of em.

nah,no plans to change the rear bumper because i might be looking for a punto sporting in yellow soon! need something a little bigger.

the cinq will do for now though!

Back