IE7 - am I the only one who's thoroughly unimpressed?

Currently reading:
IE7 - am I the only one who's thoroughly unimpressed?

JonnyBoy

Fat pigeon... APPLE!
In the last 15 minutes I have installed, tried, and uninstalled Internet Explorer 7 on my laptop. I honestly couldn't see a good reason to keep it... (n)

Enhanced security is all well and good but my firewall, virus scanner and Win Patrol have kept me 100% virus/malware free for years so not reason enough to continue using IE7.

Tabbed browsing: Opera does it so much better; personally I prefer the multiple windows approach anyway, if only because I've been using it for 8 years.

"ClearType": this is the biggest bag of utter and total rubbish I've ever seen. I don't find it any "clearer"; all I see are bigger, clumsier characters and reading the ClearType-ed text makes my eyes struggle to focus.

New layout: why, oh why, must the address bar be fixed at the very top of the window? The "File/Edit/View/etc" buttons have always been at the top before, and what was wrong with that?

There are probably other things too, but the above were enough to convince me that IE7 has no place on any of my computers. At least my other machines run non-legit Windows so IE7 won't install anyway ;)

What other problems have people found with IE7, or are most happy with it and I'm just a Luddite?! :p

ie sucks,

ffwins8dv.gif

mo9bu.gif

J

I dislike the small home/refresh/stop buttons, I am sure you can edit it though? I appreciate the improved favourites button. Tabbed browsing means little to me, don't see the point? The back and forward buttons are silly too, I only upgraded since I feel like I need to keep up :(

Never tried Firefox, suppose I ought to at least try it. Then again I've been saying the same of Linux for ages and still haven't tried that either! :rolleyes:

For now good old IE6 will do, withOpera as a backup for when it throws a hissy fit :)

it would seem that microsoft have spent too much time on making it pretty as opposed to usefullness. and it looks rubbish anyway. so even that way it's failed. i stick to firefox, IE is strictly for when firefox isn't compatible such as with 6th form email system.

I use opera, much prefer it to IE6, IE7 and firefox.

IE6 - lacking features
IE7 - looks messy and everything is in the wrong place
Fiefox - looks and feels unprofesional compared to Opera IMO

Opera has some fantastic features, like when the power goes just turn the pc back on, open opera and click 'continue from last time', it loads it up exactly as it was when the power went, even the back and forward buttons still work!

Its a rip off of Firefox in many ways, like tab browsing, shortcuts etc. Go Firefox! :slayer:

it would seem that microsoft have spent too much time on making it pretty as opposed to usefullness. and it looks rubbish anyway. so even that way it's failed. i stick to firefox, IE is strictly for when firefox isn't compatible such as with 6th form email system.

simple, install IE tab into firefox - so you can use IE engine with Firefox functionality :D No need for seperate windows and browsers. So really no excuses ;)

I knew I had seen IE7 somewhere before. A Mate has in on their laptop and all the time I thought they were using some knock off third party firefox or something.

Tried to visit www.scan.co.uk using IE7 on it yesterday and the page was severly messed up and barely usable.

And all the text was blurry.

I don't see anything wrong with IE6 to be honest and never have. In the past while IE4 & five were out I tried different browsers like netscape (where is that now) and opera but these were in the days of 56k Netscape loaded pages quicker I found but I could see no reason for any other browser.

Now its all about hte IE6. IF your computer is clean then it wont do gay things like crash at random. however if your machine is untidy and unstable then maybe, just maybe, firefox might keep your browsing more reliable. But that says something about how poorly you use a computer not how poor an application is.

Now its all about hte IE6. IF your computer is clean then it wont do gay things like crash at random. however if your machine is untidy and unstable then maybe, just maybe, firefox might keep your browsing more reliable. But that says something about how poorly you use a computer not how poor an application is.

IE hasnt crashed on me once in 10 years :confused:

blurry text is one of the best things about ie7.

Opera has some fantastic features, like when the power goes just turn the pc back on, open opera and click 'continue from last time', it loads it up exactly as it was when the power went, even the back and forward buttons still work!

Firefox does exactly that too. "A previous Firefox was unexpectedly shut down. Would you like to restore the previous session?"

I use both Firefox and IE6. I can't use IE7 because I'm running Windows 2000 and MSN don't offer/ support IE7 for that platform :(

Firefox is good, but I do also still like IE. Nothing wrong with either, though obviously Firefox is less troubled by hackers/ spammers than IE. But if Firefox becomes a prominent browser throughout the world you can bet that the hackers will soon target it.

Best thing about IE6 is that I know where everything is stored so that the websites that don't allow you to right click and save files/ pics ("function disabled") I know exactly where to find the temp files to be able to save them. Same applies to .SWF, .FLV and .MPG files where the browser/ flash player/ Media Player won't offer the option to save.

Someone tried to show me where to find them in Firefox, but it seemed very confusing and I couldn't find the files I was looking for.

Anyway, I am happy to use both IE6 and Firefox. Both have their good and a few bad points. Swings and roundabouts really.

Back