Punto (Mk2/2b) Hard to shift first or reverese

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Hard to shift first or reverese

Hello everyone. How ya doing [emoji6]
Although it's not frequent, it's annoying nonetheless. From time to time, when parking (mostly) when i try to fit 1st or reverse it just won't go all the way. I have 2 options: fit any other gear (don't need to release the clutch pedal) and 1st and it is good to go or blip the throttle then fit 1st. I even once thought i was in reverse (before i even knew about this), i started to move and almost instantly the gears started to grind, because it wasn't fully engaged [emoji848] Idk if it is just normal behavior or something worse. If you could help me out it would be appreciated [emoji846]

I have the exact same issue.

One trick I've learnt is, depending on where the car is resting, let it roll back or forward a tiny bit this lets me fully engage the gear.

Luckily I haven't had the issue of grinding the gears ( I did when I first got the car ) but every time I hear that noise I die a little bit inside.

Other than that, my gearbox is sound.

I have the exact same issue.

One trick I've learnt is, depending on where the car is resting, let it roll back or forward a tiny bit this lets me fully engage the gear.

Luckily I haven't had the issue of grinding the gears ( I did when I first got the car ) but every time I hear that noise I die a little bit inside.

Other than that, my gearbox is sound.
Mine is good too. Once i learned that trick i didn't bother again. It's just annoying sometimes.

Reverse is a non syncromeshed gear and also straight cut
So as a result - if the gears are 99% aligned it wont engage
This is alot of vehicles im affraid

As for finding it hard to find first then makes mes question if your box is wearing or the clutch isnt fully disengaging (clutch wear / drag or hydraulic issues)

Ziggy

Reverse is a non syncromeshed gear and also straight cut
So as a result - if the gears are 99% aligned it wont engage
This is alot of vehicles im affraid

As for finding it hard to find first then makes mes question if your box is wearing or the clutch isnt fully disengaging (clutch wear / drag or hydraulic issues)

Ziggy
Probably.... It recently got a new clutch kit.... Do you think it's the release bearing? I have no idea...

If it was a 3 piece clutch then no [emoji28]

If it was a cheap clutch (reman)
Then they can be problematic

Ziggy
And it isn't hard to find 1st... It just won't go all the way. Likd i said originally: if i blip the throttle or shift any other gear without releasing the clutch pedal (there is no need) and shift again to 1st, it will go all the way through like nothing was wrong. I don't know if i am expressing well. If it happens again i will try to record than show it to you.

Last edited:
Hey, I have the same issue here and I think it is normal when engaging reverse.
Regarding the 1st gear I also have the same issue when downshifting from 2nd to 1st, I learned that you just need to let it "slide in". I don't know if that's related to some gearbox issue or not because my gearbox is kinda messed up.

And it isn't hard to find 1st... It just won't go all the way. Likd i said originally: if i blip the throttle or shift any other gear without releasing the clutch pedal (there is no need) and shift again to 1st, it will go all the way through like nothing was wrong. I don't know if i am expressing well. If it happens again i will try to record than show it to you.

Sounds like first gear synchromesh is damaged and selecting other gears forces the movement needed

A new reverse gear has triangular edges to help selection and these get broken off which forces you to move the gears with the engine or if you are lucky by selecting first a few times before you can get the gear selected.

Back