Glow plug

Currently reading:
Glow plug

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys I think I am experiancing a glow plug fault on my Marea TD now the cold weather has hit us when the engine is cold when it fires up it is only running on a couple of cylinders with plumes of white smoke comming out the back. How do you check for a glow plug fault.
Cheers in advance

First find the glow plugs ;)
Then when you have found them, take off the caps on then, if they exist. Short - you must have the top of the plug free, so you can test it.
Now when you have it free, take a multimeter and measure the resistance (ohm) on them. They should be min. 0,8 ohm, if you find one that is 0, that one is shot and neads to be changed.

svenjtd.jpg

Members Site - - - - - - - My Site

I think Sven might have meant the resistance will be infinite (very high) if a plug is gone. A better way to test them is to put the meter on a high current range (10 or 20 Amps) and connect the top of the plug to the battery positive. The meter will show a high current (usually greater than 10 amps) if the plug is ok. If its much less than this, the plug may be duff, and it might be necessary to take it out and see if its actually glowing properly. the current test is better than a simple resistance check because a duff plug might still show a low resistance..

When finished, put the meter probes back into the voltage test sockets if necessary - it may save you blowing it up later on when you go to check the battery voltage :)

Owen.

That problem sounds the very same as my Marea's TD problem: www.network54.com/Forum/15639/thread/1131538675/last-1131541881/Strange+Problem+----

But my local garage still say's it's normal but now it's becoming more frequent at any temp. I'm still searching for the cause though.
But my Glow Plugs are brand new !!

Rob.

The Oil Filter along side the Oil is about 2 month's old, but the Diesel & Air Filter's have never been changed to my knowledge since I bought my Marea about 3 years ago.

Rob.

P.S. I have now got my car booked in to have the Diesel filter changed in a weeks time.

The main problem with dieseld is the parafin in the diesel. If the filter is old - diesel wont flow like it should and the car doesnt work right.

svenjtd.jpg

Members Site - - - - - - - My Site

Guys thanks for help, my problem is now sorted thanks to a new set of glow plugs for £33. When I brought the car nearly a year ago it had had them replaced so it seamed strange.Two of the plugs are really easy to get at 1 is a bit of a pig but number 3 is a real bstard and guess what one was the one that wasnt working thats right number 3 and it hadnt been changed with the others last year!so to the guy who has a similar fault get someone to check that number 3 has been changed as there are some people who cant be arsed to do the job properley but still want to get paid the robbing gits.

Well guy's, the official prognosis from my garage is that my R plate Marea 1.9TD with only 109,000 miles on it has developed, worn piston's and or ring's, so now that my local Fiat garage rebuilt my engine from the head up over a year ago, means that Iam not going to spend another fortune on it especially before christmas.
The simple question is, how long will my engine last being used every day to get to work and back.

Bearing in mind that it smokes really bad when it wants, but not all the time YET !!.

Thanks.
Rob