General Quick question needs quick answer/help!

Currently reading:
General Quick question needs quick answer/help!

A week ago my car failed to start, which ofcourse drained the battery but I got a bump start, got it home and checked out the battery and if the alternater was doing anything, gave it a charge overnight and it started straight away and has been as normal since then untill today after work. Try to start it and it does one pathetic attempt at turning over and then the fuel gauge and temp gauge fly to the top and back down and the trip resets, although the radio doesnt. Got home, 30ish miles, got the multi meter out again and its showing 12.6V with everything on and then 12.4V with the car off, the last time it was showing 13.2 with everything running once I charged it for a bit.

My hunch is that the alternator is charging the battery but the battery cant hold its charge?

A week ago my car failed to start, which ofcourse drained the battery but I got a bump start, got it home and checked out the battery and if the alternater was doing anything, gave it a charge overnight and it started straight away and has been as normal since then untill today after work. Try to start it and it does one pathetic attempt at turning over and then the fuel gauge and temp gauge fly to the top and back down and the trip resets, although the radio doesnt. Got home, 30ish miles, got the multi meter out again and its showing 12.6V with everything on and then 12.4V with the car off, the last time it was showing 13.2 with everything running once I charged it for a bit.

My hunch is that the alternator is charging the battery but the battery cant hold its charge?
Hard to tell... I would start by cleaning the contacts.
And how old is the battery?

New problem.

Started this morning on the way to work, car would jolt badly as if it was mis firing but it still had all the power and accelerated smoothley when it was jolting, it got so bad I had to turn off the motorway and limp home. Just went to start it again and when I turn the ignition on the injector light flashes and there's a very noticeable and rhytmic click from the injector area
I'm guessing duff injectors?

Battery's are not expensive and only have a limited life, just change it, I only give mine 2 chances if ever it goes flat, charge it once, if it reccurs change it.
Tony.

i think you should check the alternator's live wire, it should read about 13.6 v with the engine running, no matter how duff is the battery. You're reading is the normal voltage at the battery when engine off. I had the same problem runned fine one day, that evening battery fully discharged, stuck away from home, the next day runned fine until later in the day then again flat. The live wire from the alternator was broken a bit the first day, then snaped off completley. Put it togheter and from then no problem.

Back