Technical Auto Headlights & Body Computer Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Auto Headlights & Body Computer Problem

Rich

Former FIAT Obsessive
Hi All

My Stilo still suffers from a problem with the Auto Headlights feature (Dynamic), and it's been ticking me off for ages; and yes, you guessed correctly dear reader, my FIAT dealer do not know what the problem is.

It all started about a year ago . . . Ok, I'm not going to boar you with every detail. Basically, sometimes, the headlights come on automatically, as the light conditions determine that they should. However, they usually don't go off again when they should. For example, if I were to drive into a tunnel or car-park, they'd come on immediately, but won't go off when i come back into bright, blazing sunshine. I never realised Volvo made Fiat's now?

It had a new light sensor last year, numerous checks and a new Body Computer in November. Still the fault remains; if anything, the new computer has made it worse.

Any ideas? I hear rumours of a software update, which they apparently did on the old computer, but the fault was still there (I'd have to admit, it did seem to get better). The examiner was plugged in once and it found 7 faults relating to the headlights if that helps.

Hey Stuart, thanks for the mega-quick response!

I have it set on 2 usually (FIAT tell me this is factory default), but this problem occurs on all 3 sensitivity levels unfortunately.

OH, one big thing I forgot to say; if the lights are "jammed on", turning the engine off and immediately back on (i.e. exactly the same light conditions)usually turns them off, i.e. resets them; surely this indicates some sort of computer issue?

Yes, it does seem like a sensor problem linked to the computer - now got the Stilo workshop procedures CD at home, so will see if that sheds any more 'light' on it later.

What happens if you turn them from AUTO mode, to off or sidelights say, then switch back to AUTO mode, using the left stalk?

Turning the stick to sidelights or off doesn't help; putting the switch back in AUTO makes the headlights come back on, again, even in bright sunshine.

The only way to reset the system is to turn the ignition off. It's like the computer jamms them on once they come on, or forgets they are on. But I dont see why a new computer should make it worse?

Thanks Stu.

UPDATE: Stilo is booked into Grays at Warwick (I live in Torquay, Devon but am at Warwick University, so am going to see if they can diagnose anything).

I'm hoping they'll find something!!

Back