Technical ABS and Traction control warning lights keep comin on??

Currently reading:
Technical ABS and Traction control warning lights keep comin on??

If the gearbox warning hasnt come on, and you have an abarth it may well not be the brake switch.

The brake light switch is required for the correct operation of the gearbox as well as cruise control and traction. If you arent getting those errors it may well be something else.

When my brake switch failed cruise control wouldnt enable, and the brake lights were constantly on.

Have you tried backing up to a wall or something and seeing if your brake lights are working okay? If they are it may be a brake switch with an intermittent fault or something else all together.

If you have a code reader or diagnostic equipment its worth checking as it will log a DTC for the brake switch.

Depending on the type of failure (i.e. i could see nothing wrong with my brake lights while stationary) nor should it (under these circumstances) cause a gearbox failure (although it will do if the switch were to fail completely). Many of the switch problems (mine included) were intermittent (due to heightened sensitivity of the supposedly faulty original switch) and thus caused the brake light to come on while driving (which could even be for a few ms.. no way of actually seeing it) - this causes an abs/asr/esp failure due to the controller being confused by the fact that you are accelerating and braking at the same time. To that effect it is possible to get the same error (with switch operating as it should be) if you were to coast down a long hill (thus accelerating) and using your brakes to slow down. If OPs problem is similar - it will not cause a gearbox failure nor would it log an error code of any kind (i've not had any stored..). Although it can always be something else (a faulty ABS sensor is the next most likely avenue to explore) the switch (being the cheapest and simplest thing to replace) should be your first point of call.

Back