General Intermittent firing.

Currently reading:
General Intermittent firing.

vinman

My Ducato 2.5d will not start.
There was no warning of a problem, just came out one morning and it tried to fire up but just couldn't quite get there.
There is plenty of fuel at the injection pump, so fuel is getting there and I have checked for air in the system. Seems OK (it is self bleed any way).
What I am not sure of is the amount of fuel/pressure that I should see when checking.
I would say that at the moment it's not very much/high.
Is there something in the pump that I can physically address to improve this?
If not, is there something obvious that I've missed?
Could all my glow plugs be failing, and if so, would this affect the starting in this way?
Lots of questions I know, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, vinman.

Quote "just came out one morning and it tried to fire up but just couldn't quite get there."

Sounds like glow plugs - had similar problem with mine:
Check glow plugs by removing connecting strip (take great care not to drop the little knurled nuts!) - connect wire from battery to each in turn - if you get a spark, plug is ok. Even if one glow plug is out it can affect starting - two will make it very troublesome even if weather's not really cold.
good luck

Ps. It's always better to give longer than the ind. light going out - leave on till you hear relay click-off. I do mine twice (from cold ie. 1st st. of day)- this is easier on battery and st. motor.

Yep it look like two of the glow plugs have gone.
Thanks for your advice.
vinman

Back