Technical Fan scraping radiator

Currently reading:
Technical Fan scraping radiator

It shouldn't touch the rad. Its bearings may have gone, or has the car suffered a bump in the front? When parked so you didn't know perhaps? Need to have a careful look around the fan, maybe remove it and see why it now hits when it didn't before.

Perhaps the constant heating/cooling of the fan has warped it over the years. I can only imagine it needs replacing, unless it can be removed, heated up and moulded back into shape.

Check that there isn't simply a leaf, bit of paper, loose tape from a loom etc making the noise.

I wouldn't have thought the fan should be coming on in normal driving, but mine's not an Abarth.

When my car get up to temperature and the fan starts it scrapes the radiator. Has anyone else had any trouble and how easy is it to fix ?

Its bearings may have gone

I saw this happen once on an early Punto - the fan bearings had worn to the point where the fan started to hit the radiator - but IIRC this was after about 100,000 miles.

IIRC the fan was rivetted to part of the radiator surround and you could only buy the fan & surround complete, which made it twice as expensive as it needed to be. Was an easy DIY fix, though.

Back