General Annoyances.

Currently reading:
General Annoyances.

Over the last couple of weeks a couple of things that had been gradually getting worse prompted me to get off my derrière and do something rather than put it off any longer.

First job to be tackled was the intermittent squeaking from the rear brakes so jacked up rear and removed wheels to get a better idea of the situation.

Pleasantly surprised to find that all rear pads were evenly worn and no lip on the discs themselves meant I had luckily avoided the problem other 500 owners with rear disc brakes had suffered, the rear brakes sticking on causing overheating and premature pad wear.

Removed calipers and cleaned all contact surfaces before refitting after applying small quantities of copper grease to the relevant surfaces.

Refitted calipers and pumped footbrake a few times to get the pistons fully extended before trying the handbrake a few times and all good. Wheels replaced after having used this opportunity to give them a good clean on the inside and wheel bolts tightened to the correct torque. Quick spin afterwards and pleased to say that the squeaking had disappeared. (y)

The second job was to replace the wiper blades with a set of Bosch Aerotwins. Despite regular cleaning of the screen with clay bar and AG glass cleaners they always juddered after a few days. Won't know for a week or so if this has done the trick but initial tests seem to bear out the fact that they are far superior to the standard items.

Back