Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2010   #1
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reading
Posts: 74
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Red flashing oil light

Hi guys

I know we've had a couple of threads on this already, but just after a bit of advice.

Driving home from work today and the flashing oil light came on. The car is a 500 1.3MJ derv. It's on a 58 plate and was serviced at 6820 as a yearly service back in Nov 09. The car has just about on 8200 miles now. I have put about 1250 miles on it in the last few weeks as I've been borrowing the car from my gf whilst I am in between cars. Checked the service invoice and we have been charged for 5 litres of DPF-specific engine oil and oil filter - therefore I assume that the oil was changed at this point in time. Now, unless the dealer forgot to reset the regeneration counter why else would the light be coming on unless the oil is low? I pulled over and checked the oil level, but obviously the engine was still hot (and so the oil would be high anyway) but the level looked absolutely fine. Its been sat a while now, so going to check it again in a minute, but otherwise I'm a bit confused as to why its on so soon. I'm also wondering what sort of mileage is 'safe' to do in between the light coming on and the oil being changed. I would be looking at driving 75 ish miles before I can next take it to the dealer, thats if they can even get me in on saturday. I'm not saying I don't want to get the oil changed, but its a case of getting to work - only alternative is a 2.5 hour bus journey.

As some background, I'm currently doing trips of roughly 30ish miles to work, so for the last few weeks its been doing roughly 60-70 miles a day 5 days a week then the odd bits and pieces at the weekend.

Rang the dealer for advice but all the tech's had gone home and service desk weren't much help as they are self-confessed non-tech's. I'm going to call back in the morning but the tech's aren't there until 8 and I need to leave for work at half 7, as well as supposed to be going out tonight.

So in summary: Why is it on, and how much if any can i drive it in between the service being done and the light coming on?

Thanks
__________________
Mine: Seat Leon 1.9 tdi
Hers: Fiat 500 Sport, 1.3 Mjet
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...lcoloursig.jpg
JamesL is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-06-2010   #2
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reading
Posts: 74
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Car's been sat on the drive 2 hours now - this is what the dipstick looks like.



This doesn't look low to me! But in fact looks too high. I read somewhere that when the DPF regenerates it uses diesel from the tank - this then cycles into the engine. Could this be my problem? That too many regenerations have occured, and so diluted the engine oil to that high level? Hence the light as the quality will be low?
__________________
Mine: Seat Leon 1.9 tdi
Hers: Fiat 500 Sport, 1.3 Mjet
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...lcoloursig.jpg
JamesL is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-06-2010   #3
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1064
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
I read somewhere that when the DPF regenerates it uses diesel from the tank - this then cycles into the engine. Could this be my problem? That too many regenerations have occured, and so diluted the engine oil to that high level? Hence the light as the quality will be low?
sounds as if counter wasnt reset (nothing unusual there) however my advice is not to drive it unless you have too.

make sure it goes to a dealer who is familiar with this system.
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 22-06-2010   #4
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Hi I had the same problem - I got my oil change done at a non fiat garage who couldn't turn the light off. Fiat will reset the light for you but wanted 20.00 - it's a 5 min job.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

krossi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 23-06-2010   #5
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1064
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by krossi View Post
Fiat will reset the light for you but wanted 20.00 - it's a 5 min job.
5 mins or 5 seconds the point is the equipment costs 3k and 1k year upgrades. 20 is cheap by the way.
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-03-2011   #6
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Angry Re: Red flashing oil light

Just been through a similar saga with my Fiat dealer, oil light flashing after 4000 miles after a full oil and car service (250!). Took car back to dealer who did not understand that the service light and oil degradation systems had to be reset. Really, I am not joking!

Dealer took two days to work out what was wrong. We were told not to drive the car and left it with them, they charged us 25 to insure a loan car. These dealers do not understand the cars and are a danger to Fiat owners. I will find a specialist who can understand what is going on next time. Any recommendations in the Coventry/Northampton area?

Question: if they got this wrong, what might they be like on brakes and suspension!?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donfiftyseven is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-03-2011   #7
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1064
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by donfiftyseven View Post
. These dealers do not understand the cars and are a danger to Fiat owners. I will find a specialist who can understand what is going on next time.
Sorry but that simply is not true, dealer techs are subject to extensive training.

The fault more likely lies in not speaking to or being allowed the DET. Sadly however there are less good DET's these days and many have left the trade which is a pity as this situation would be ideal for the DET in explaining the DPF system and operation to you. Fiat seem very slack these days in the technicians role prefering to concentrate on if the customers car is washed or not let alone fixed
Thanks grimwau thanked for this post
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-03-2011   #8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Angry Re: Red flashing oil light

Oh, and they always overfill the oil. Why don't they check it. The dealers I have visited are juggling three brands and I repeat do not undersatnd the cars in any depth, that's dangerous. Have you ever had an engine blow in the fast lane at 70? I have and it's dangerous. That's my point and sloppy dealerships are dangerous. Fact.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donfiftyseven is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-03-2011   #9
Forum Moderator
 
T14086's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Preston
Posts: 29,985
Thanks: 1064
Trader Rating: 0
T14086 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

whatever
__________________
http://www.chryslerforum.co.uk//
T14086 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-03-2011   #10
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,718
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by donfiftyseven View Post
Oh, and they always overfill the oil. Why don't they check it. The dealers I have visited are juggling three brands and I repeat do not undersatnd the cars in any depth, that's dangerous. Have you ever had an engine blow in the fast lane at 70? I have and it's dangerous. That's my point and sloppy dealerships are dangerous. Fact.
Just because you say "fact" at the end of a statement doesn't make it true....

My dealer didn't overfill our 500 when it went in for a service.....
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-03-2011   #11
Autotest Special
 
rallycinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 23,431
Thanks: 1145
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 1
rallycinq has donated!
British Indian Ocean Territories 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Can I throw another angle in here.

A car that has only done 130 miles in 15 months may well need the oil changed, the DPF will have been going mad trying to keep up.

Cheers

D
__________________
rallycinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-03-2011   #12
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Smile Re: Red flashing oil light

Can anyone actually recommend a good Fiat dealer in the Midlands?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donfiftyseven is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-03-2011   #13
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Smile Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by 306maxi View Post
Just because you say "fact" at the end of a statement doesn't make it true....

My dealer didn't overfill our 500 when it went in for a service.....
Sounds like you have an Abarth dealer!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

donfiftyseven is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-03-2011   #14
STOP! Hammer time!
 
306maxi's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Welsh Riviera
Posts: 23,718
Thanks: 845
Trader Rating: 0
306maxi has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by donfiftyseven View Post
Sounds like you have an Abarth dealer!
No.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

306maxi is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-03-2011   #15
500 fan
 
PandaLounge's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Newcastle-under-Lyme
Posts: 435
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
PandaLounge has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Red flashing oil light

Quote Originally Posted by donfiftyseven View Post
Can anyone actually recommend a good Fiat dealer in the Midlands?
Yes. BS Marsons, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs - Fact
__________________
Fiat fanboy since 2008. Many 500's owned, the odd Panda and Punto Evo, plus a 124 Spider. Now a 595 owner. .
PandaLounge is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) change engine oil message and red oil light flashing on the dash... grungdog23 500 27 4 Weeks Ago 09:06
red alarm light flashing paul davis Newbie Central 1 15-12-2009 23:42
(T) flashing red engine light villager1 Punto (Mk2/2b) 0 04-05-2009 20:09
(T) help with my flashing red engine light PLEASE villager1 Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 04-05-2009 01:27
(T) Help-Flashing Red Light Johnny88 Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 13-11-2008 18:55