Technical x244 speedo and revs playing up

Currently reading:
Technical x244 speedo and revs playing up

rogerhallorkney

Hi guys,
I have a 2004 ducato based motorhmome. 2.8JTD engine
I little while ago the speedo stopped reading correctly, it was reading only 20% of actual speed. i changed the sensor out but that didn't sort it. the mileage is still going up correctly though.
then very recently the battery was flat - i jump started the van and now the speedo sits at 110mph when static. i haven't driven anywhere yet.
the van idles perfectly well but when i press the accelerator it dies momentarily and then picks up and dies then picks up etc. if i accelerate slowly it revs up to 3000rpm with no dying off. quick presses see it die off and pick up. i get a flash of engine light which then goes out again.
i should make a little video and post here too to better explain the issue.
I have been advised to check the earth straps and check the fuel lines for leaks. i have changed the fuel filter which made no difference.
any ideas would be gratefully received.

I have a feeling it may be air getting in the diesel line somewhere. I'll check the lines for corrosion today

Man with a machine came to have a look.
Code P0335 - Crankshaft sensor.
i wondered if anybody could direct me to where this physically is? i cant see it anywhere on the engine?
is it a 3 pin or 2 pin for this model, it states both items and not sure which to order.

Hi Roger,
I am attaching an extract from eLearn. The rpm sensor is shown on eLearn as a 3 pin device, with the third connection being for the cable screening. The sensor is at the rear of the engine near the turbo (see attached file).

I am concerned that the rpm sensor may not be your only problem. The rpm sensor of course drives the rpm indicator, as well as providing rpm and crankshaft position information to the ECU. This sensor should not affect the speedometer display, which receives data from the "pulse generator" or road speed sensor which does provide an input to ECU via the instrument panel.

The analogue gauges on the x244 are driven by electronically driven stepping motors, and are prone to sticking mechanically. There is an old thread on the forum relating to freeing the pointers. If your speedometer is stuck with ignition off, it may be worth searching for that thread. Alternatively you could have a connector problem behind the instrument panel. Just releasing and replacing the connectors could effect a cure. Also think fuses. F11 in the engine bay fusebox, supplies the instrument panel, but it also supplies the oil vapour heater which can go short circuit and cause the fuse to blow. In this case, a quick fix is to disconnect the oil vapour heater.

Attachments

• Engine rpm sensor.pdf
    231 KB · Views: 54
  • eLearn E4020 RPM Indicator.pdf
    34.1 KB · Views: 54
  • eLearn E4021 Speedometer.pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 22
  • eLearn E4010-1 Instrument Panel.pdf
    78.1 KB · Views: 56
  • eLearn E4010-2 Instrument Panel.pdf
    123.2 KB · Views: 50
Hi Roger,
I am attaching an extract from eLearn. The rpm sensor is shown on eLearn as a 3 pin device, with the third connection being for the cable screening. The sensor is at the rear of the engine near the turbo (see attached file).

I am concerned that the rpm sensor may not be your only problem. The rpm sensor of course drives the rpm indicator, as well as providing rpm and crankshaft position information to the ECU. This sensor should not affect the speedometer display, which receives data from the "pulse generator" or road speed sensor which does provide an input to ECU via the instrument panel.

The analogue gauges on the x244 are driven by electronically driven stepping motors, and are prone to sticking mechanically. There is an old thread on the forum relating to freeing the pointers. If your speedometer is stuck with ignition off, it may be worth searching for that thread. Alternatively you could have a connector problem behind the instrument panel. Just releasing and replacing the connectors could effect a cure. Also think fuses. F11 in the engine bay fusebox, supplies the instrument panel, but it also supplies the oil vapour heater which can go short circuit and cause the fuse to blow. In this case, a quick fix is to disconnect the oil vapour heater.
thanks communicator,

very helpful indeed.
i have already checked the f11 fuse and it is fine.
i will pull the socket behind the dash and see if that resets the speedo, failing that i will find the thread for freeing the pointers

i didn't find the sensor yet, thats because its behind that small plate!! thanks i will have a dig tomorrow now.

thanks again.

Just stripped out the instrument panel, gave all four analogue gauge needles a good working backwards and forwards and hey presto! All working again!!

I wonder just how many people have been ripped off for a new ECU when they have had this issue??

Simple to access, just 4 screws to take out using a 25 size Torx driver, the first two aren't that obvious, one up under the upper corner of each side of the panel cover.

Once they are removed lift the grey panel from the back (2 spring clips there so you need to pull on it a bit)

That leaves the instrument cluster held in by 2 more screws at the rear of the panel vertically positioned into the mounting plate. Take those out then disconnect the multi way connector.

You now need to carefully pry apart the snap fittings around the edge of the instrument cover the when the covers are in two pieces lift out the centre piece.

The needles are now accessible so gently give them a wiggle through the normal operating range, leaving them roughly where they should be with ignition switched off.

Plug it back in and give it a try before putting it all back together in reverse order to the dismantling process.

found it

well that didnt go well!. the alloy bracket that holds the sensor in place has snapped - seemed very brittle! the sensor i had ordered is 10mm longer than it should be!

any ideas where i can find a new bracket?
I now have the dimensions for the sensor and will get a new one ordered up

Back