General X1/9 owner, no ideas!

Currently reading:
General X1/9 owner, no ideas!

Hi, I picked up my X1/9 and it needs shall we say...some work.

The engine is seized solid and I mean knackered, the oil has turned to mush and the cam case is full of weird oil flakes, needless to say its toast. So I either need to source a replacement engine or see if anything else will fit and bolt to the gearbox!

Also it does need bodywork, im thinking of having it chemically stripped, welded up and repainted. Obviously this wont happen overnight, its going to be a winter project I hope, ready for roof off motoring next summer. Its parked in the garage at the moment next to my GPS, and its tiiiny, I cant believe it but the driving position is great and I cant wait to take the little car for a blast.
I will be asking loads of questions I would think, and hopefully getting some advice about these great cars!

Good luck - it sounds like a mammoth task, just be prepared for the hard work!

One word of advice, when it comes to replace the sills do not be tempted to do both sides at the same time. The sills constitute a major part of the monocoques rigidity, take both sides off and the car starts to bend.

The same applies elsewhere but it is the sills where the most damage can be done.

yeah its going to be a lot of work. the car is partially dismantled by the previous owner so I need to find loads of nuts and bolts to test fit everything properly. Someone has replaced the 2 under car rad pipes with plastic household stuff:confused:

Does anyone know of a good quality manual for rebuilding the car, the Haynes is rubbish detail wise.

I did however get the pop up lights working today though!

Hi, Nice site here with full Fiat Manual.... x19gr.50webs.com Just about to garage mine for a full strip down and rebuild. may be easier to sourvce a decent engine!

Back