Technical Wing Mirror Motor

Currently reading:
Technical Wing Mirror Motor

Fiat500Lease

Hi I have a Fiat 500 1.2 S (manufactured in 2018 with a 19 plate). The passenger wing mirror will only move up and down and not side to side when using the control on the driver door. The driver side wing mirror seems to work perfectly fine. Is there any easy way to fix this? It is a lease car that I need to return next year. I was going to ask the garage at next service if not. Thanks

Can you hear if the motor works when left to right pressed it's possibly stuck have a helper press gently on the glass in the direction you operate the button?
Hi John202020 Thanks for your message. I can't hear the motor working when left or right is pressed. I tried gently moving the glass when pressing left or right but this does not seem to make any difference.

It could be the switch... If the connectors allow you to plug the wiring into the other mirror/connectors, that would prove it.

Ralf S.
Thanks Ralf. This may be beyond my technical ability. I'll see.

Thanks Ralf. This may be beyond my technical ability. I'll see.
It sounds like the motor is working, if you can hear it. .. so don't worry about the switch. I just had a dicky switch in my sister's Megane once, which didn't work at all using the driver's switch... but the connector did fit on the other switch in the "passenger" switch (on the driver's door) so I could tell it was the switch.

If the motor is working and the glass isn't moving then the mirror motor could be broken or the control arms may have become detached. You'll need to remove the glass to have a look.

The motor will probably have a nylon cog to turn the levers that move the glass pad. Nylon isn't particularly robust, so if the mirror glass/pad was sticky or needed more force to move it once (e.g. if it was frozen to the mirror body etc.) then the teeth may have stripped and now there's no teeth on the cog to turn the pad. In this case you'll probably need a new mirror (or at least the working internals from a second-hand one).

The other possibility is that the motor is turning fine but how it operates on the pad isn't working (e.g if there is an arm or lever .. usually held together by a ball socket) that has come apart. I've got an old mirror somewhere to have a look .. It may be possible to re-clip it.. but if the socket is loose/damaged, then again, you'll need a new "internals".

Ralf S.

I would suggest the motor has seized due to lack of use, the door control works corectly as the drivers side is fine so it's in the mirror assembly could be a faulty connection too, but its not a user created fault like a scratch so shouldn't be an issue on return ?

It sounds like the motor is working, if you can hear it. .. so don't worry about the switch. I just had a dicky switch in my sister's Megane once, which didn't work at all using the driver's switch... but the connector did fit on the other switch in the "passenger" switch (on the driver's door) so I could tell it was the switch.

If the motor is working and the glass isn't moving then the mirror motor could be broken or the control arms may have become detached. You'll need to remove the glass to have a look.

The motor will probably have a nylon cog to turn the levers that move the glass pad. Nylon isn't particularly robust, so if the mirror glass/pad was sticky or needed more force to move it once (e.g. if it was frozen to the mirror body etc.) then the teeth may have stripped and now there's no teeth on the cog to turn the pad. In this case you'll probably need a new mirror (or at least the working internals from a second-hand one).

The other possibility is that the motor is turning fine but how it operates on the pad isn't working (e.g if there is an arm or lever .. usually held together by a ball socket) that has come apart. I've got an old mirror somewhere to have a look .. It may be possible to re-clip it.. but if the socket is loose/damaged, then again, you'll need a new "internals".

Ralf S.
Thanks for your help Ralf.

I would suggest the motor has seized due to lack of use, the door control works corectly as the drivers side is fine so it's in the mirror assembly could be a faulty connection too, but its not a user created fault like a scratch so shouldn't be an issue on return ?
Thanks for your reply John. I am not sure if it would be an issue on return.

Back