General Will there be another stilo?

Currently reading:
General Will there be another stilo?

Are you saying i dont :devil: No this is why i have refrained from touching it yet. I know its probably a pipe dream but i am seriously considering a supercharger.

No mate, I dont know much either :devil:, other than its difficult

Tuning these days is as much about microprocessor technology and assembly programming as it is knowledge of the engines themselves.

If you could get the dump from the ECU worked on and reverse engineered sucessfuly, it would be much easier to make it run on its own without reliance on the other CAN nodes around the car OR get another free running ECU to integrate into a CAN network with them.

Look at some of the projects on the ME155 over at http://www.chiptuners.org, theres some seriously knowledgeable guys over there, or alternatively the work of Andy Whittaker http://www.andywhittaker.com/

Neither are fiat specific but theres lots of documents and such around there. A lot of the members of chiptuners arent just people who create maps, they actually find them and work out the checksum algorithms etc. to allow people to remap them in the first place.

Just beware before asking questions, they flame you to high hell sometimes.

Seized calipers,aircon u.s., grille desroyed by a small bird,creaking dash, virtually impossible to change airfilter,huge appetite for front tyres(cured by ditching the body rubbing 17 inch alloys for 15 inch steels) peeling door mirrors,lack of low down torque.Not good for a 4 year old car,now i am stuck with it unless i take a huge hit.(06 multijet multiwagon)

How about:

Perfect braking system (original discs), Aircon functional and yet never had any maintenance, birds don't nosedive the front grill, tyres about 20+k per a set, still in very good condition, ALL systems functional plus outrageous performance - and by that I don't mean it's slow :devil:

That's on a 7.5 year old car so is anyone surprised if I say it's NOT for sale ;)

Seized calipers,aircon u.s., grille desroyed by a small bird,creaking dash, virtually impossible to change airfilter,huge appetite for front tyres(cured by ditching the body rubbing 17 inch alloys for 15 inch steels) peeling door mirrors,lack of low down torque.Not good for a 4 year old car,now i am stuck with it unless i take a huge hit.(06 multijet multiwagon)

Sounds like its worth about £1100 taking into consideration a huge hit Ill offer you £1150 cash.

I dont undcerstand how u have body rub on 17s. I have 18s and loads of arch room to spare. If you wanted more torque then why didnt you buy the 150bhp version, you cant blame the car because of your poor engine decision making or your inhability to preempt a bird flying into your grille.
All aircon needs servicing no matter what car and will fail if not used or maintained.
I dont even notice the creaking dash tbh and one would presume your car got the calipers done under 3rd year warranty.
All that is on your list is circumstancial or niggles that you get with every car in the world.

If all your going to do about your car is moan about it then i suggest you go somewhere else, we love our cars here despite their quirks.

If all your going to do about your car is moan about it then i suggest you go somewhere else, we love our cars here despite their quirks.

The topic of discussion is will there be another stilo.. think some of his comments are justified given that... And Stu your car has different suspension and is a 3dr, his is a multiwagon.

Its because of the 'quirks' why they went back to the Bravo name is it not? I didnt mind having to play around with mine every now and then to some extent but not everyone buys a car as a project, they want to go from A to B without fuss.

Try taking on a 'niggle' when you have a wife and toddler in the car 100 miles from home... which is why mine is no longer with me.

Think you need to take the clappers off people, they are a nice car with a lot of spec for the money, but come on - they arent without issues.

Nobody minds the occasional moan when something actually go's wrong. But the guy i quoted from gave silly reasons so as to not like the car. FFS how is a Bird flying into the Grill Reflect on Fiat or the Reliability of his Stilo?
“Oh well VAG spray their cars with Bird Repelling paint” :devil:

Peeling mirrors, excessive tire wear, **** poor aircon design and a very tricky to change airfilter are fair game I think.
Yes; but the only issue in that list I can relate to is that it IS difficult to replace the air filter (and remember my Stilo is getting on for twice the age for heavens sake :rolleyes:).

Can you really imagine reading "One of the reasons the Fiat Stilo range flopped is because of the difficulty of changing the air filter on certain models" :D

Peeling mirrors, excessive tire wear, **** poor aircon design and a very tricky to change airfilter are fair game I think.

The bird one is daft granted.

Your forgetting this car is only 6 months out of warranty so i would hazard a guess that the OP could have got these probs sorted for free.

Excessive tyre wear seems to suggest that the OP was using the wrong size tyre so the blame would be on him or the Tyre Fitter. No matter what engine and suspension set up 17's on correct tires wouldnt rub.

All aircon needs servicing, i dont know but wouldnt think the Stilo Aircon is any worse than other cheaper cars with it. You have to use it or it does all go pair shaped.

The Air filter is a bit of a crap design but as said, i dont think fiat Name the Stilo “The S Word” because of that fact.

Your forgetting this car is only 6 months out of warranty so i would hazard a guess that the OP could have got these probs sorted for free.

Excessive tyre wear seems to suggest that the OP was using the wrong size tyre so the blame would be on him or the Tyre Fitter. No matter what engine and suspension set up 17's on correct tires wouldnt rub.

All aircon needs servicing, i dont know but wouldnt think the Stilo Aircon is any worse than other cheaper cars with it. You have to use it or it does all go pair shaped.

The Air filter is a bit of a crap design but as said, i dont think fiat Name the Stilo “The S Word” because of that fact.

:D

I mentioned design in respect to the aircon, there was a modification to it as a lower pipe didnt have enough play in it so used to break.

Oh yeah, changing the headlamp bulbs, poorly designed (or implemented) electrical connectors, throttle body issues on some earlier petrol cars...
Look in EPER, have you seen how many modifications were made over they years..

Its a great car, but is far from perfect. Like I said.. keep your clappers on;)

True again - but then these are just generalizations that can be applied to most car models and don't really have any bearing at all on why a specific model should be discontinued (even Toyota had some really bad press recently but that doesn't mean the models will be discontinued).

I think I've already covered the most relevant reasons earlier in this thread but in terms of technical mistakes I'd say the Error Beep System was potentially the one area that gave the car the most problems with the public. Idiotic as it may sound I believe the lay buying public would have been a lot happier if detected errors were ignored (just stored say) as would be the case on cars with a lower technical spec - instead of confronting the driver with a multitude of beeps. A classic example, I seem to remember from this Forum, was when someone actually rubbished the Stilo because it beeped when they drove too fast :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What I find crazy is everyone I speak to who used to own a Stilo (not that many) have only got good words for it. I even had someone walk up to me in the street, whilst I was parking, and asked if I'd possibly consider selling as they really wanted one of these (and that's with a 5 door which is not normally considered the most eye catching). Throughout my whole life that's a complete first for any car I've owned :spin:

Passengers tend to only have positive words for the car too (y)

I have to admit though that one of my customers, who's a car dealer, told me he doesn't like them - and that's something that speaks volumes. :(

Last edited:
What I find crazy is everyone I speak to who used to own a Stilo (not that many) have only got good words for it.

Loved my Stilo. Out of all of my previous Fiats, I miss the Stilo the most.

Yes, it has some quirks. I hated trying to change bulbs though. :rolleyes:

But you either love a car or hate a car.

With nothing pretty much in between.

I wasnt trying to Aim my comments at you Danhans especially because you had some real difficulties of ownership.

I was aiming towards people like that Bloke who hates on the stilo as he had to replace his tyres every 16k miles. Or it needed an oil change every year. :bang:

Hey calm down boys! Let me put my comments into context.
I own a 14 yr old Pug 406 2.0 petrol that i have hit scores of birds with but the thicker more flexible plastic is up to the job.I have had no brake issues.The original mirrors are perfectThere are no cabin creaks/rattles.Apart from a pair of cheap easy to replace subframe bushes i cant think of any non-consumable repairs.It has not been to agarage let alone a Pug main dealer in over 130000 miles so why should i use aFiat dealer with their reputation? I get 15-18k per set of tyres.
The rubbing on my Stilo was with std 17 inchers but on switchbacks on my trips to the Pyrenees.
I really want to like my Stilo, its just bloody hard ( and expensive) work.

Back