General Wheel trim query for a newbie

Currently reading:
General Wheel trim query for a newbie

simonpdl

Old Hub Caps.jpg

New wheel trim.jpg
Dumb question but I've bought the attached wheel trims for my Panda 09 Active Eco.
I've never removed wheel trims before but the original wheel trims look like they are attached via wheel nuts? Is that correct?
And if so would the ones i've bought fit? They are the right size (15") and were listed as Panda wheel trims but they don't have the wheel nut holes.
Sorry to ask such a basic question!

You are correct in that the original wheel trims are held on by the wheel bolts.
So you will have to jack each corner up remove the bolts and trim and then bolt the wheels back up tight.
The good news is the new wheel trims will fit, but you have the potential for them coming off when cornering, so make sure you tie wrap them on.

The originals are trapped by the rim of the wheel bolt so they have to come out to remove the trims.

The sill has a 20mm deep flange. The wheel change jack has a slot designed to fit. To avoid damage, a trolley jack (or axle stand) will need to be used with a slotted wooden block to take the load correctly on the sill underside.

Jacking from the chassis subframe is generally easier.

Hi Simon

Sorry to spoil the party but your first photo shows the wheel size on the tyre which is 13 inch.

Your new trims will not fit. the listing for a panda is probably for a later model

Sorry

Tim

As timmy so cleverly noticed the Pandas had 13" rims up 'till the model change in 2011/12 - Don't know about 4wd models though.

When you get hold of the right size trims it may be useful to know that genuine Fiat trims have a partial cut out on the hole for the bolt that is nearest the valve. The half of the retaining "flange" inside the hole which faces the outside of the wheel is relieved - look closely at the picture in the OP and you can just see it. What this means is that, if you are careful, do it on a nice flat hard surface and just do one wheel at a time, You only need to actually remove the other three bolts. you can wriggle the trim off without slackening that bolt nearest the valve. Thus you don't need to jack the car up. I've done it several times when doing a "superclean" so I can clean inside the wheel trims when washing the car. The car stays very stable but I'd avoid being "silly" when the 3 bolts are removed. Of course only do one wheel at a time won't you!

PS. Because Mrs J had kerbed them so badly I bought cheap aftermarket trims from a market for our old 1999 Panda Parade. They were supposed to stay on by gripping the inside of the rim but they never did for more than a few miles before falling off. In the end I rubbed down the old ones and resprayed them with Halfords silver wheel paint. Looked fabulous until Mrs J kerbed them again. Throwing the trims away altogether and painting the wheels themselves (I like a dark silver grey but white goes well with some colours of car - blue for instance) can be a good solution and you can get wee caps which fit in the central hole of the wheel which can brighten things up a lot. That used to be very fashionable years ago and the more basic models were often supplied like that from new.

Last edited:
Wheel rim profiles are designated by a letter, usually J or B. These are slightly different, although I've never studied the two together to see teh actual differences.

The vast majority of cars use 'J'. Fiat on the smaller wheels use 'B', which is what will be on the Panda.
Aftermarket trims will almost certainly be made for 'J' rims, so as Jock says, keeping them on will be a struggle. They'll feel fine as you fit them, but the wheels flex during use, and the trims will pop off. Many cheap trims don't fit 'B' or 'J' properly, which is why you see so many cable-tied on. Downside of that is you need to carry a cutting tool for any wheel change.

If mine, I'd be trawling Ebay for some genuine Fiat ones.

View attachment 206476

View attachment 206477
Dumb question but I've bought the attached wheel trims for my Panda 09 Active Eco.
I've never removed wheel trims before but the original wheel trims look like they are attached via wheel nuts? Is that correct?
And if so would the ones i've bought fit? They are the right size (15") and were listed as Panda wheel trims but they don't have the wheel nut holes.
Sorry to ask such a basic question!

Hi. :)

Yes all the base pandas are 13"

I replaced a Red badged one on an 07..
and have all 4 from an 04..in Blue

As you will have seen.. the correct trims are not cheap..and the style changes with spec too

In the end we fitted FIAT alloys..

Charlie

I've gone from 15" 100HP alloys to 15" steels because the alloys are so fragile on today's horrible roads. I thought about 14" (steel or alloy) but that would have meant dumping a set of nearly new tyres.

I have put steels on the 100HP. Currently they are in boring black so it looks like a van. But steel silver paint with chrome centre caps and chrome caps for the wheel bolts will look smart.

I also approve of a painted steel wheel. Did you get centre caps DaveMcT? If so, could you share details, please? I've left the standard rear hub caps in place and exposed hub nut at the front, but would like some caps to smarten everything up.

I also approve of a painted steel wheel. Did you get centre caps @DaveMcT? If so, could you share details, please? I've left the standard rear hub caps in place and exposed hub nut at the front, but would like some caps to smarten everything up.

I've posted a new thread on steel wheel centre trims. I need some ideas because the obvious full cover plastic trims will just look naff.

Back