General Engine dies for 1/2 a second

Currently reading:
General Engine dies for 1/2 a second

Hi, at least once a journey, the car will lurch and the engine management light will flash. It seems as if the engine dies for about 1/2 a second and then carries on again.
Today in a 9 mile journey mainly on an A road it did this twice in about 1/2 a mile.

Any suggestions?

So if engine light flashes there should be a fault code stored if you get it code read. Might just be it needs a routine change of spark plugs etc and it’s got a misfire due to plug gaps being too large. Any ideas when plugs were last changed?

Rough running petrol could be any thing

The good thing thing is a code has been generated

Without it, we can only guess everything

I take its a 1.1L

If the code comes back injector or ignition it will probably just need the the ECU connectors

If the code is for Crank sensor, a new sensor will

And so on

Thanks for this Greasytrucker, I dont know when the plugs were replaced. I have had the car a year.
If you’re mechanically minded enough to remove a spark plug take one out and have a look at the condition and gap etc and if possible take a photo and post it on here. Failing that take it to a local garage and get it code read (shouldn’t cost much) or even better if there’s any forum members in Cumbria with the kit you could get it code read for the cost of a cuppa! Just a few options

Just been driving an 09 1.1 Active Eco which does almost exactly the same*. Not investigated properly yet, but I suspect either ECU plugs are not making good contact, or it is suffering from the 1.1 wiring problem which pops up on here quite regularly.
I had some long zip ties with me, and used them to hold the ECU plugs tight.
Hasn't done it since, but definitely not conclusive, as it's not a consistent "blip".
I will have a better look at it next week as I've got it for a couple of days to do MOT etc.

*Apparently it happens most often on a particular road... went down that road in my daily driver and "found" a whole bunch of badly-filled potholes, so it could well be related to hitting bumps on the road. No shortage round here for testing.

Need looking at some time

But unlikely to be your problem here

Faulty plugs are very common

But 90% the problem will be starting or heavy acceleration

Rarely coasting or deceleration
i bow to your superior knowledge! 🤣 I was just thinking about common sense reasons why it might happen but obviously common faults are the place to start

i bow to your superior knowledge! 🤣 I was just thinking about common sense reasons why it might happen but obviously common faults are the place to start
Needs doing anyhow
Plus it's something else eleminated for no cost

Very little is 100% this or 100% not that

There always that small percent that turn round and bits you in the rear because you ignored it

The issue has been resolved.. I sent the car in to have the spark plugs replaced and the comment on the invoice is:
"Fit Spark Plugs, found spilt breather hose was leaking oil onto Plugs 1 &. Modified and fit breather hose to prevent oil leak."

Plugs £27.44, Crank Case Breather Hose £10.00, :about £60.00

Car drives well now - the cutting out was happening quite often before.

**UPDATE** so this issue has raised its head again. Now it is even worse - the car often cuts out at traffic lights and it takes a good 3or 4 starts to get the engine turning again. When I sent it in to the garage, (after the plugs were replaced) they said no fault found and the computer plug read out cam back with no errors. I have lost faith in this car now as I dont want it dying while on a motorway. Is there anyone in Cumbria who nows about these cars who can fix?

Is it only stopping, cutting out at when at idle?
Do you have any tools to investigate yourself

Is there any pattern

Start of journey
Cold engine
Bumps

Does it still stutter like it did in the first post or is this different symptoms

Does you car have a rev counter? If it does when you crank does it move

When it does not start what lights are present on the dash as you crank

I don't know of any garages in Cumbria sorry, nearest I could find recommended on here is Leeds

Is it only stopping, cutting out at when at idle?
Do you have any tools to investigate yourself

Is there any pattern

Start of journey
Cold engine
Bumps

Does it still stutter like it did in the first post or is this different symptoms

Does you car have a rev counter? If it does when you crank does it move

When it does not start what lights are present on the dash as you crank

I don't know of any garages in Cumbria sorry, nearest I could find recommended on here is Leeds

Hi, on some occasions, the car will stall about 20 yards from home. Then within about 2-3 miles from home the engine management light will come on briefly (I am sure the car is stalling but with the speed of the engine it restarts itself) It will do it about 1, 2 in a nine mile journey. It is always the return journey where the car will die at least 3 x (having to stop traffic hazards on while I restart the engine) then the journey home will have about 6 or 8 engine management light issues,
No rev counter.. the lights on the dash if the car has died and have to start the car (without panicking and flooding the engine) are the engine management light and the other two red ones - I know one is the battery light...

Spark plugs have been replaced - could it possibly be a fuel line/pump issue - it has had multiple tanks of fuel during these issues. If anyone can tell me what data reader unit I can buy that can read on the device itself or have it dowloaded via USB I can do this - the issue is that I put my trust on a garage who charged me £30 to read the car and said there were no faults found.

Thanks JACKWOO (not being sarcastic here !!) what does that do?
They have a reputation for rotting away internally which causes all sorts of problems.
Your garage charged you very little for the spark plugs- ask them for a price to check the thick ground wire and replace it with a generic one if it's rotten.

I just watched your video and it doesn't look like the ground wire I mentioned being the problem but worth looking at in case.

Back