What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

I remember it having four lights, two set in the grill, very much Cisitalia style for the italiaphiles…
I discovered something very interesting about the Gordon Keeble recently. It's a car I've always coveted so whenever something pops up about them I always read it. On this occasion it was something about Peerless cars. For a long time I've had this slightly niggley wee feeling that I've seen another make of car which has similarities to the Gordon Keeble and there is was. John Gordon, one of the originators of the Gordon Keeble car project, was the managing director of Peerless cars! The Gordon Keeble bonnet emblem was of a tortoise. I love the story that it was adopted because a tortoise wandered into shot on some of the original publicity shots they were doing for the car.

I discovered something very interesting about the Gordon Keeble recently. It's a car I've always coveted so whenever something pops up about them I always read it. On this occasion it was something about Peerless cars. For a long time I've had this slightly niggley wee feeling that I've seen another make of car which has similarities to the Gordon Keeble and there is was. John Gordon, one of the originators of the Gordon Keeble car project, was the managing director of Peerless cars! The Gordon Keeble bonnet emblem was of a tortoise. I love the story that it was adopted because a tortoise wandered into shot on some of the original publicity shots they were doing for the car.
As long as it wasn't overtaking it.;)

Didn’t they do one of those on Car SOS or similar programme a number of years ago?
Wheeler dealers did it too. I prefer watching Edd as Car SOS tend to gloss over any of the really interesting bits on how they fix it. Though the Edd cameos always make me smile.

Wheeler dealers did it too. I prefer watching Edd as Car SOS tend to gloss over any of the really interesting bits on how they fix it. Though the Edd cameos always make me smile.
Yeah it started off like that, then went to a characature of itself…but Edd and wheelers did also

Yeah it started off like that, then went to a characature of itself…but Edd and wheelers did also
Both programs were quite interesting in respect of the "dirty bits" and I enjoyed watching Edd and Fuzz. Mike on wheeler dealers was tolerably amusing but I'm probably better not to mention anyone else! Unfortunately both programs suffered the usual interference from people who were not so interested in the mucky bits and tried to dilute the interesting stuff with "entertainment". Wheeler dealers always gave great amusement when they were totting up their costs at the end and, pretty much always, came out showing a profit? It would have been interesting if labour had been separately detailed so people could have realized what this sort of stuff really costs.

Both programs were quite interesting in respect of the "dirty bits" and I enjoyed watching Edd and Fuzz. Mike on wheeler dealers was tolerably amusing but I'm probably better not to mention anyone else! Unfortunately both programs suffered the usual interference from people who were not so interested in the mucky bits and tried to dilute the interesting stuff with "entertainment". Wheeler dealers always gave great amusement when they were totting up their costs at the end and, pretty much always, came out showing a profit? It would have been interesting if labour had been separately detailed so people could have realized what this sort of stuff really costs.
Dads labour is FREEEEEEEEE!

Sorry having another silly day.

Last edited:
Yeah the labour never adds up, especially if you’ve been in the trade and you know for sure anything from Alfa, Audi, VW, Honda, Toyota, and any of the exotics were charging £45-200 per hour way back in the eighties and if it was for ‘diagnostics’, you wrote your own paycheque, not that anyone on the spanners saw much of a cut!

It would have been interesting if labour had been separately detailed so people could have realized what this sort of stuff really costs.
They added up the hours in the american ones, probably to stop getting sued.

Edd always claimed it was aimed as home DIYers, so the cost should have been comparible if you were doing it on a project in your garage. And I get that, you would never count your own time in if working on a car. If you had to pay for the labour then it's not really in the spirit of the show.

They added up the hours in the american ones, probably to stop getting sued.

Edd always claimed it was aimed as home DIYers, so the cost should have been comparible if you were doing it on a project in your garage. And I get that, you would never count your own time in if working on a car. If you had to pay for the labour then it's not really in the spirit of the show.
Yep. Its a shame they got rid of Edd he turned into a master tech / mechanic over the years. I would trust him to work on Noop which is high praise. My favourite show was the Lamborghini Urraco, followed a short head by the Fiat Dino, but Mike B's chucking out of the the trademark red carpet was shocking.

SIlly so and so repainted the Cromadoras withour the black inserts too. I seem to remmebr him saying they were a boy racers bodge job. BURK!

Last edited:
Yep. Its a shame they got rid of Edd he turned into a master tech / mechanic over the years. I would trust him to work on Noop which is high praise. My favourite show was the Lamborghini Urraco, followed a short head by the Fiat Dino, but Mike B's chucking out of the the trademark red carpet was shocking.

SIlly so and so repainted the Cromadoras withour the black inserts too. I seem to remmebr him saying they were a boy racers bodge job. BURK!
You should see his YouTube channel, he’s still bitching about wheeler dealers. Mike kept out of the argument for years, but recently rebutted Edd by saying the car is the star of the show, not someone’s ego! Make of that what you will…

The engine and transmission was straight out of the Chevy Corvette so I guess it would start and go rather well. As for the rest I probably wouldn't place any bets.
Wonderful fun though. RWD and bags or torque are always a recipe for a huge smile.

My favourite show was the Lamborghini Urraco,
Yeah, the pipe with metric one end and imperial the other as they what they had lying around the factory.
I was kind of with Edd for leaving, they were moving further and further away from the technical side.

Yeah, the pipe with metric one end and imperial the other as they what they had lying around the factory.
I was kind of with Edd for leaving, they were moving further and further away from the technical side.
Me too. The Edd stuff was the core of the programme. Due repect to Mike , but some of the cars were gifted to the new owners especially that Dino Coupe and I didnt like some of the bold porkies told to buyers.

On lamborghini, Marcello Gandini died last week, designer of the countach

One of my favorite lamboghini pics, just puts it in perspective 😁 :
lambo-engine.jpg

On the way to a day out, realise I've got 0 heating, it's not a cold day but I'd expect something other than AC air from the vents as car is warm and it's blowing cold.

Turn the heating up to max, no change..yep literally nothing, fans running, AC definitely working as air is icy.

Engine temperature gauge is in the middle,but check under the bonnet coolant just in case (what can I say..I drove Fiats long enough to immediately think oh **** HG is gone) no all still there so no danger to the engine. Oh well, day out to continue as it's not getting fixed today.

Thinking it'll be blend door or something given up...

Anyway going home got heating... apparently just needed turning off and again..god bless touchscreen climate control apparently a module somewhere hadn't woken up.

Last edited:
Back