What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

I live on a hill 40 miles from the border...I'm under no illusions as to the havok salt can wreak (another thing to add to the list of "this is why I can't have nice things")

Seem to remember western coast of Scotland has palm trees perhaps things are bit warmer than the north east.

They must be I suspect given we had the same Micra as Vexorg and this was its year 13 mot..(we didn't own it at this point)

Screenshot_20240319-092302.png

I would say all my comments apply to northern England cars as well..🤣🤣

That would be the tropical beaches of Largs. We have the gulf stream, not like the frozen east coast.
Yes, you often see nude sun bathers there in mid Winter.:ROFLMAO:
As a teenager (a few days ago;)) I recall in mid September on a short holiday swimming in Newquay, then the same week driving up to Birmingham and seeing frost on the ground, so time to get Jumper on.
Most of you guys have seen a fair bit of snow this Winter, I can honestly say we had one very light dusting that you could still see the grass through and only needed to de ice the windscreen about twice.
That is why they say you are tough up North unlike us soft Southerners.:)

That’s all we got this year, sunny North Yorkshire, and only for a couple of days.
They’re Hebridean sheep and were glad of frost and snow instead of the incessant rain we increasingly get

Attachments

• IMG_8874.jpeg
    IMG_8874.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Here in rural Norfolk there are loads of old cars though its true that pre 09 are getting less common. With the variety of makes and variations its going to get more difficult to get parts for the anything. Maybe now is the time to get a proper classic with strong parts availability. Its pretty clear that we have had out last new car and indeed possibly our last car period. Makes it important to look after it as well as possible. Bring back BMC I say.

Here in rural Norfolk there are loads of old cars though its true that pre 09 are getting less common. With the variety of makes and variations its going to get more difficult to get parts for the anything. Maybe now is the time to get a proper classic with strong parts availability. Its pretty clear that we have had out last new car and indeed possibly our last car period. Makes it important to look after it as well as possible. Bring back BMC I say.
BMC…no thanks, like fords, there’s plenty of spurious parts suppliers, but there’s a reason for that, they need replacing, rebuilding, resurrecting etc regularly 😉

Maybe , but apart from the rust a lot easier to work on and cheaper to repair.:)
I like my classics, but BMC never did anything for me, they had some very interesting pre-production and concept cars that were cancelled at the last minute, Rovers, Triumphs and even a new mini, but none came to fruition, shame really!

BMC…no thanks, like fords, there’s plenty of spurious parts suppliers, but there’s a reason for that, they need replacing, rebuilding, resurrecting etc regularly 😉
Ha ha I thought I would wind you all up

I like my classics, but BMC never did anything for me, they had some very interesting pre-production and concept cars that were cancelled at the last minute, Rovers, Triumphs and even a new mini, but none came to fruition, shame really!
A friend of mine had a Rover Sports car based on the 1950s turbine engined one.

Being happy doesn't change the lack of evidence to say cars from scotland rot quicker than in england.
I mean, how many 18 year old cars do you see on the road in england these days?
Company I previously worked for ran 20 lorries and trailers all doing similar miles, the ones that did the Scotland runs used to rot like an absolute B**tard and had to be pulled off the road for a shot blast and repaint within 5 years. The one that did Cornwall barely had any Chassis rust within the same timeframe due to milder climate and much less road salt. Must be something in it

Company I previously worked for ran 20 lorries and trailers all doing similar miles, the ones that did the Scotland runs used to rot like an absolute B**tard and had to be pulled off the road for a shot blast and repaint within 5 years. The one that did Cornwall barely had any Chassis rust within the same timeframe due to milder climate and much less road salt. Must be something in it
A neighhbour years ago had a lime green Ford Cortina 2000E that had one front wing badly rusted which seemed strange , until I went out for a drink with them one night and on way from pub to chippy all his mates used to stop for a pee in the same spot, a standing joke apparently!

A friend of mine had a Rover Sports car based on the 1950s turbine engined one. old landlord of mine
The father in law of one of my old landlords, who incidentally taught me to weld properly and not just to get past a test, had one of only two remaining reliant two seat sports car prototypes of early sixties era…it was all ‘ghosted’ in a sort of multiple grey camo, complete with a roadworthy chassis, small block US engine and a manual gearbox. It’s been thirty five years since then and have never seen the car reappear

The father in law of one of my old landlords, who incidentally taught me to weld properly and not just to get past a test, had one of only two remaining reliant two seat sports car prototypes of early sixties era…it was all ‘ghosted’ in a sort of multiple grey camo, complete with a roadworthy chassis, small block US engine and a manual gearbox. It’s been thirty five years since then and have never seen the car reappear
It wasn’t a Reliant…it was one of three prototypes for the Jenson 514, one of which is described here with 4l austin engine and auto-box and aluminium skin with glassfibre bonnet and boot.
Trevor’s FiL must have been one of the other two with manual box…im reading through to see what happened to the two, Trevor’s FiL was sold on, not quite completed, shortly before he died. I did, however, remembered rightly that it was fully grp!

It was a very pretty car but purposeful looking too. Was it the one before this that had the hinged flap in the middle of it's front grill? I remember the grumble of the V8, always liked the sound of a V8 (thinking Daimler Dart/250 too) Another car of the same concept was the Gordon Keeble - boy I'd have loved one of those!

I have three adults bicycles in my garage, five adults bicycles in my council lock up. I used cycle a lot. Well both me and the wife still do🥰

All of them, everything works, three of them, together cost almost 5 thousand quid.

Because of the glut of bicycles post COVID, nobody wants them. (I.e. I'm asked when trying to sell them for a pittance, 'Are they electric'). No I reply.

Going to gift them to a good cause, now I'm happy, but sad at the world of the late sixties to the early 20's, cycling has left behind.

Fuc& knows the only thing the kids of todays world exercise, are their lungs smoking vapez, their eyes, as they're buried in their ever increasing size of computer abacus, with unlimited data attached. And their right hand, speeding around on their electric bikes, snatching our wife's, sisters, and kids bags and phones.

What have we as adults left them. The world still revolves, but mostly at a snails pace, unless they manage to afford a car on lease and stick a exhaust system that belongs on a manufacturers rally car.

Such is life, life's rich tapestry huh.

Fuc& knows the only thing the kids of todays world exercise, are their lungs smoking vapez, their eyes, as they're buried in their ever increasing size of computer abacus, with unlimited data attached. And their right hand, speeding around on their electric bikes, snatching our wife's, sisters, and kids bags and phones.
You do see a lot of that and inappropriately dressed school kids. There's a big school near us and many seem to buy their lunch at the local small shops. It's a positively intimidating experience to be in one of these shops when they're all in there - some can be really quite aggressive and the girls can be as bad, if not worse, than the boys. I wouldn't dare to face one down because they might pull a knife on you or accuse you of behaving inappropriately towards them. In today's world you'd be lucky to come out of that unscathed. No, better just to avoid altogether.
What have we as adults left them. The world still revolves, but mostly at a snails pace, unless they manage to afford a car on lease and stick a exhaust system that belongs on a manufacturers rally car.

Such is life, life's rich tapestry huh.
Such philosophical, whimsical musings? I feel very sorry for the youngsters of today. Everything seems so expensive. When I look at the outgoing costs of my children, mortgages, council tax and utilities, owning and running a vehicle and so on, I find it terrifying. But then again I have to remind myself that our earnings back in the day, were a pittance compared to what they earn now - it's all degrees of scale I suppose?

I am deeply disturbed by the whole world situation though, The wars are unimaginably terrible, especially for the "innocents" - civilians and children - caught up in it all through no fault of their own. I'm also in absolute despair regarding our individual inability to grasp the consequences of what our daily living practices are doing in regard to destroying our ecosystem. Perhaps I shouldn't really care because my generation isn't going to be the one that pays the true price, but I do. Why is no-one getting to grips seriously with climate warming? We keep getting told that it's our consumption of energy which is the problem but we are on an ever increasing spiral of increasing consumption as we manufacture more stuff, drive our vehicles, fly around in planes, go on cruises in big ships, and so on. Can't we get a grip? None of us needs desperately to get on a plane and travel thousands of miles to take a holiday. I could mention many other unnecessary things we do, take a cruise for instance.

It was a very pretty car but purposeful looking too. Was it the one before this that had the hinged flap in the middle of it's front grill? I remember the grumble of the V8, always liked the sound of a V8 (thinking Daimler Dart/250 too) Another car of the same concept was the Gordon Keeble - boy I'd have loved one of those!
I remember it having four lights, two set in the grill, very much Cisitalia style for the italiaphiles…

Back