What's made you grumpy today?

Currently reading:
What's made you grumpy today?

Ford...

20 years ago they decided to quote with mirrors as with mirrors folded.

Why does this matter? Well the ongoing car hunt involves getting one that fits on a drive. If you Google Focus width with mirrors it comes up 1991mm.

So my dearest father has been looking for cars with mirrors that are less than that...all other manufacturers seem to quote total figure with mirrors extended.

So he's looking at modern superminis and writing all of them off because they too big to fit on his drive when in fact... although they are bigger they are not 2020mm wide which is what the damned Focus is with the mirrors out.

Where's the :Bang: emoticon gone???

What made me grumpy today is deciding to replace o/s door wiring loom on my Doblo due to a poor wiring socket where to operate the electric window having to open the door to make the connection (tricky at 60mph);).
Got a second hand loom for £30, went to release the connector at the door hinge and had to break it off it little pieces as previous double glazing company owner had used some kind of solvent glue for a temporary bodge repair, the solvent had melted part of the plastic connector on the inboard side, so to remove that and cut off all the damage part, involved removing extra panels and the BCM to gain access to the rubber grommet to allow the connector and wiring to come inside the vehicle to repair. Anyway all back together now, so just the clock to rest, I notice it is nearly "beer oclock":)

It's been a grumpy couple of days.
I have a 13" laptop, used for work two days a week, which is suffering now from significant loss of battery life. It does not seem long, but looking back, it was new in 2016. A replacement is lower spec, and expensive, but may be inevitable.
A new battery was purchased. I duly worked out how to get the thing apart, removed the old battery, to find it has swelled a little, and plugged in the new one. Booted the laptop, "battery not fitted" it declared. Checked the connection, fine. Internet search suggested a procedure to empty any residual charge in any capacitors, by removing the battery, and holding the power button for a minute. (AC disconnected) No change, battery not recognised.
An email to the supplier got a prompt response, and they promised to trest one before sending. Replacement arrived. More faffing inside the machine, fired it up. This time, battery recognised, but showing 0%, but not charging. Left plugged in for 7 hours, no change.
I'd heard that lithium ion batteries do not like being fully discharged, often failing to recover. Had a similar problem with a repalcement phone battery a few years back, had to replace the phone instead. Another internet search confirmed that a dead or very low battery is probably scrap. Some recover if connected diretly to a charging current, by-passing the laptop control software. Whilst it is rated at 11.75v, I think my 4A car charger might not get the result I need. Intriguingly, the power supply to the laptop is 9v.
More internet searching, found a wiring diagram for the tiny multiplug. Three power connections. Original battery gave 11.1V. Both replacements show 6.5-6.7mV. That's less than one tenth of a volt. Unsurprising that the laptop cannot see them.
Supplier is in the middle of a warehouse move, so will request return in about "15-30 days". No mention of replace or refund, so I've asked for clarification.
Meanwhile, one hinge is breaking away from the plastic case. Haven't yet investigated a repair, but screws through from outside might work, although not pretty, but cheaper than £400-500 for an inferior replacement. No point fixing the hinge unless a good battery is available somewhere.
Meanwhile, I have to carry the 15.6" laptop, or revert to my very old, but very reliable 10" netbook. Seems a plan.

Another grump.
My partner's carer usually arrives around 9am. Important to get her out of bed and breakfasted, being diabetic, needs to eat.
Yesterday, just as I was about to leave the house, phone rang. Carer company, carer's car broken down, visit now scheduled for 10:30am. Too late, might be in a very poor state by then, diabetic coma, or even dead. Timing is important.
So now, I have to miss my usual Tuesday morning appointment, actually important for my health, while I get her up and get some food into her. Just got her sat up, and starting a banana, when a carer arrived. A carer supervisor had taken some initiative, and changed her route because she knows the importance of feeding my partner. She'd told the office (3 staff), who had apparently not communicated with each other, so carer on her way, while one phones to apologise and wind me up.

A couple of quotes from the office staff.
"All cars break down"
I suggested 'not if properly maintained and fluid/tyre checks carried out regularly'.
"Some people do not have the funds to maintain their cars properly" WTF?

These people earn their living by travelling around multiple clients. A reliable, safe vehicle is a requisite. It would appear that the carer company know that they do not pay enough for their staff to run a car safely and reliably. (One was running on her temporary spare wheel for weeks, on a front wheel, until she got another puncture) The carer company has a duty of care for their staff, but seem to have missed that. It is this duty of care for any staff engaged in driving as part of their job that gives me my work. It is what I do! Any serious incident could have the company management in court.

It's been a grumpy couple of days.
I have a 13" laptop, used for work two days a week, which is suffering now from significant loss of battery life. It does not seem long, but looking back, it was new in 2016. A replacement is lower spec, and expensive, but may be inevitable.
A new battery was purchased. I duly worked out how to get the thing apart, removed the old battery, to find it has swelled a little, and plugged in the new one. Booted the laptop, "battery not fitted" it declared. Checked the connection, fine. Internet search suggested a procedure to empty any residual charge in any capacitors, by removing the battery, and holding the power button for a minute. (AC disconnected) No change, battery not recognised.
An email to the supplier got a prompt response, and they promised to trest one before sending. Replacement arrived. More faffing inside the machine, fired it up. This time, battery recognised, but showing 0%, but not charging. Left plugged in for 7 hours, no change.
I'd heard that lithium ion batteries do not like being fully discharged, often failing to recover. Had a similar problem with a repalcement phone battery a few years back, had to replace the phone instead. Another internet search confirmed that a dead or very low battery is probably scrap. Some recover if connected diretly to a charging current, by-passing the laptop control software. Whilst it is rated at 11.75v, I think my 4A car charger might not get the result I need. Intriguingly, the power supply to the laptop is 9v.
More internet searching, found a wiring diagram for the tiny multiplug. Three power connections. Original battery gave 11.1V. Both replacements show 6.5-6.7mV. That's less than one tenth of a volt. Unsurprising that the laptop cannot see them.
Supplier is in the middle of a warehouse move, so will request return in about "15-30 days". No mention of replace or refund, so I've asked for clarification.
Meanwhile, one hinge is breaking away from the plastic case. Haven't yet investigated a repair, but screws through from outside might work, although not pretty, but cheaper than £400-500 for an inferior replacement. No point fixing the hinge unless a good battery is available somewhere.
Meanwhile, I have to carry the 15.6" laptop, or revert to my very old, but very reliable 10" netbook. Seems a plan.
My battery died recently. It was replaced by a local firm on our local industrial estate for £45. I have no idea how that stacks up compared to the battery price, but Im glad it seems fully back to normal. There are people out there but its not easy finding them. I hope it works out. I do have quite a large stock of computer screws and fittings if you decide you need something I would be happy to search out and send anything that might be useful. I have a tiny set if drills, chinese things from 'The Range' that are good for this stuff. I cant stop buying tools, its a disease.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself today. Part of a tooth broke off yesterday leaving a sharp edge that was cutting the side of my tongue and hot drinks were giving ,e a pain spike. Rang my dentist first thing this morning - 9am - to be told no appointments available with him but one of his colleagues has a cancellation at 9.30. and that's all they could offer all day. I hurried down the road and was walking through their door right on the 9.30.

Very nice lady dentist who looked in my mouth an said "not too happy trying to fill that, think we'd better have an Xray" The Xray revealed the tooth was so badly decayed it would have to come out - 3rd from the back on the O/S of lower jaw. Well, things didn't go well. After quite a bit of tugging and breaking off bits of tooth she declared that she'd have to "section" the tooth - basically cut it in half. This enabled the half nearest my tongue to be quickly extracted but the outer half wouldn't come. She ended up cutting into my gum with a scalpel and then cutting away a very small part of my jaw bone before the bit of tooth finally gave up the struggle. I'm now sitting at home, having just taken the first dose of antibiotics, trying to sip at a cup of tea without it all spilling out of the side of my mouth! I'm dreading when the jags wear off! Got plenty of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen just in case.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself today. Part of a tooth broke off yesterday leaving a sharp edge that was cutting the side of my tongue and hot drinks were giving ,e a pain spike. Rang my dentist first thing this morning - 9am - to be told no appointments available with him but one of his colleagues has a cancellation at 9.30. and that's all they could offer all day. I hurried down the road and was walking through their door right on the 9.30.

Very nice lady dentist who looked in my mouth an said "not too happy trying to fill that, think we'd better have an Xray" The Xray revealed the tooth was so badly decayed it would have to come out - 3rd from the back on the O/S of lower jaw. Well, things didn't go well. After quite a bit of tugging and breaking off bits of tooth she declared that she'd have to "section" the tooth - basically cut it in half. This enabled the half nearest my tongue to be quickly extracted but the outer half wouldn't come. She ended up cutting into my gum with a scalpel and then cutting away a very small part of my jaw bone before the bit of tooth finally gave up the struggle. I'm now sitting at home, having just taken the first dose of antibiotics, trying to sip at a cup of tea without it all spilling out of the side of my mouth! I'm dreading when the jags wear off! Got plenty of Paracetamol and Ibuprofen just in case.
You can get stronger pain killers if needed by speaking to a pharmacist.

If you are on metronidazole you MUST NOT drink any alcohol at all

Get well soon Jock sounds like it’s just one thing after another at the moment

You can get stronger pain killers if needed by speaking to a pharmacist.

If you are on metronidazole you MUST NOT drink any alcohol at all

Get well soon Jock sounds like it’s just one thing after another at the moment
Thanks Andy. I actually have some 500mg Cocodamol tabs left over from when my new knees were done. They work pretty well but I don't like taking them as they tend to "bung" you up. The last of the anesthetic is wearing off now and it's actually the stitches which are giving me the most gip. They are self dissolving and I'm wondering how long before they do this?

Anyway, the alcohol won't be a problem as I've not touched a drop since I had my gall bladder out - alcohol "dissolves" the contents of my tummy now, not nice!

Yeah, as you say, we seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch just now. Think I mentioned about Mrs J's sister having a stroke recently? Well, it turned out not to be, thank goodness, but a really virulent microbial bowel infection. She was in the hospital on antibiotic drip for a week and pretty much "away with the fairies" much of the time. But the beds are so badly needed they sent her "home" which really meant she was with us here in Edinburgh for a while. She seemed to be getting quite a lot better and was desperate to go home to Devon so, taking medical advice, we arranged for her to get travel assistance on the train - my older boy works for Network Rail and is involved in this side of their service - so she got assistance going to the train and getting settled in her seat. The guard was notified and kept a regular eye on her during the journey and she was met by assistance personnel at her destination (Tiverton) where her friends picked her up in their car and drove her home. She seems to have really reveled in all the attention. Unfortunately she seems to have relapsed a wee bit since - she is well into her 80s mind you and hasn't been in good health for years. Luckily she lives in a wee village with very good support from locals who are continually popping in and checking up on her. Hospital and local GP also alerted to her situation. Still a bit of a worry though.

All these things do tend to put my tooth problems into context and I'm just so very grateful that we've got access to a dentist and our family around us for moral support

Thanks Andy. I actually have some 500mg Cocodamol tabs left over from when my new knees were done. They work pretty well but I don't like taking them as they tend to "bung" you up. The last of the anesthetic is wearing off now and it's actually the stitches which are giving me the most gip. They are self dissolving and I'm wondering how long before they do this?

Anyway, the alcohol won't be a problem as I've not touched a drop since I had my gall bladder out - alcohol "dissolves" the contents of my tummy now, not nice!

Yeah, as you say, we seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch just now. Think I mentioned about Mrs J's sister having a stroke recently? Well, it turned out not to be, thank goodness, but a really virulent microbial bowel infection. She was in the hospital on antibiotic drip for a week and pretty much "away with the fairies" much of the time. But the beds are so badly needed they sent her "home" which really meant she was with us here in Edinburgh for a while. She seemed to be getting quite a lot better and was desperate to go home to Devon so, taking medical advice, we arranged for her to get travel assistance on the train - my older boy works for Network Rail and is involved in this side of their service - so she got assistance going to the train and getting settled in her seat. The guard was notified and kept a regular eye on her during the journey and she was met by assistance personnel at her destination (Tiverton) where her friends picked her up in their car and drove her home. She seems to have really reveled in all the attention. Unfortunately she seems to have relapsed a wee bit since - she is well into her 80s mind you and hasn't been in good health for years. Luckily she lives in a wee village with very good support from locals who are continually popping in and checking up on her. Hospital and local GP also alerted to her situation. Still a bit of a worry though.

All these things do tend to put my tooth problems into context and I'm just so very grateful that we've got access to a dentist and our family around us for moral support
As long as she’s okay, alls good…
Our dentist kicked out all NHS patients in Oct last year. They got in touch with me last month: ‘you are due your routine annual’. Rang them up and no mention of now being private: ‘would you like the usual check up and clean and now a status update x-rays etc?’…me, what’s that? ‘Well all new patients have it done’
I’m not a ‘new patient’ they have all me records, they’re trying to bamboozal old patients into taking up private care! I asked them the price, introductory offer of £180, of which I’d get £50 off IF I need further treatment…I told them to bog off…
As it happens, I’ve chipped a tooth so I’m medicating with clove oil

I was "lucky" in that the extraction was done under the NHS, Still cost me £81 though. I seem to remember comparing charges with Mrs J's sister some time ago and we came to the conclusion that the customer contribution factor for Scottish dental NHS services cost us quite a bit more than you guys down south? Mind you, we get our prescriptions free which is a big saving when you're older and "popping" a few pills every day.

Edit. PS. It's definitely evident that NHS dentists are a dwindling breed though.

In the mouth stitches can dissolve quite quickly so don't be too surprised if they fall out quite early obviously its an area which is wet all the time and gets a lot of use with chewing etc. not like skin sutures which can take a couple of weeks or even months.

Pharmacist can sell over the counter co-codamol 8mg/500mg, if you had co-codamol for your knee then chances are it is 30mg/500mg. the 8 or 30mg is codeine and the 500mg is paracetamol (do not take them with anything else with paracetamol) you can also get ibuprofen with codeine in it from the pharmacy too which can sometimes be better than co-codamol. the lower doses you can get from the pharmacy are much less likely to cause bungged up ness. (this is all just for your information)

Unfortunately down here you cannot get a dentist for love nor money.... well you can for money but you need plenty of it to pay privately which is sadly what I think I am going to have to do as I have a rear molar which has broken and has been like it a few years but is getting slowly worse, no pain thankfully which is why I have ignored it for so long.

It’s another of those ways we get ripped off in this country. I broke a tooth in France and had to go to a little village, way outside cognac. Even though I have a French name I took German at school, which made conversation impossible. I had to wait 10mins.
He did ultrasound 3D scans which we all watched in real time on his laptop attached to the chair, shaved off the top of the tooth, took a cast, drilled and fitted titanium pegs, pulled a ‘blank’ tooth from his multitude of ‘spares’, shaped to fit the cast and bonded it on.
He said that it was temporary as one of the roots had a hairline fracture…total cost €38. It had to come out five years later as one of my wisdom teeth was compacting it!

In the mouth stitches can dissolve quite quickly so don't be too surprised if they fall out quite early obviously its an area which is wet all the time and gets a lot of use with chewing etc. not like skin sutures which can take a couple of weeks or even months.

Pharmacist can sell over the counter co-codamol 8mg/500mg, if you had co-codamol for your knee then chances are it is 30mg/500mg. the 8 or 30mg is codeine and the 500mg is paracetamol (do not take them with anything else with paracetamol) you can also get ibuprofen with codeine in it from the pharmacy too which can sometimes be better than co-codamol. the lower doses you can get from the pharmacy are much less likely to cause bungged up ness. (this is all just for your information)

Unfortunately down here you cannot get a dentist for love nor money.... well you can for money but you need plenty of it to pay privately which is sadly what I think I am going to have to do as I have a rear molar which has broken and has been like it a few years but is getting slowly worse, no pain thankfully which is why I have ignored it for so long.
It's now been about 5 hours since the stitches were put in and one has let go already. I had to rush out so quickly this morning that I didn't even have time for a cup of tea. So, about 10 minutes ago I risked a really soft bit of bread with the crusts cut off and I think it was the chewing action that did for the stitch. the other two are still intact. I'm slightly worried about the one that let go because it was holding the bit of gum she cut back so it now covered the socket. I've just carefully - can't do anything other than carefully because it hurts - explored it with my tongue and there was a bit of doughy bread under the flap. Had a quick and gently wash out with some plain water which seems to have flushed it out successfully, nipped a bit though. Going to have a tin of cream of chicken soup for my dinner.

You're bang on with the co-codamol, it's 30/500 codeine paracetamol. She advised me to take Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol with a 2 hour gap between dose. I took 2 ibuprofen about an hour after I got home when it was starting to all wake up and I've now, about 20 minutes ago, taken a couple of Paracetamol. The Paracetamol seems to be having a much better pain suppressant action than the Ibuprofen, although I suppose, as I was fresh out of the "torture chair" when I took the Ibuprofen and it's had a few hours to calm down before I took the Paracetamol so it's really a very fair comparison.

Regarding dentists up here. Yes, they do seem to be drifting more towards private practice. We've been going to our dentist for many years and over that time he's become more of a friend than simply our dentist. He owned the practice and has been complaining for a few years now how difficult he finds it to recruit NHS dentists - I think there are 4 or 5 surgery rooms in his practice. Even when he does succeed in recruiting someone he then has trouble hanging on to them because of the much greater financial rewards available in private practice. About a year ago he sold up to a large conglomerate but stayed on as a practicing dentist in their employ. He told me it was because he was so fed up with all the petty paperwork he had to do and he didn't have so much time to do what he became a dentist for - fixing people's teeth. I learned from his receptionist today that he's retiring this summer and that, so far, the practice has not managed to attract a replacement. We'll all miss him greatly. Last year my younger boy got a nasty surprise. He'd been so busy with his business that he'd forgotten about his annual checkup. I think he'd been sent at least one reminder which he'd ignored. When he recently got round to contacting them to have his checkup, he was told he'd been dropped from the listing as he'd failed to attend and failed to reply to subsequent reminders. Silly boy, now he's trying to find a dental practice which doesn't have a closed list.

Last edited:
Best wishes @Pugglt Auld Jock , mouth issues are always very uncomfortable.

I'm very lucky with my dentist. Found one many years ago, that worked the system by making short appointments. Any work in addition to a check up was a separate appointment. I don;t knw how that worked form him, but I guess he got more payments from the NHS. Or it could have been a way to see more people. They apparently have to use latex gloves, not nitrile. He became allergic to latex, tried every type on the market, and was advised by a dermatologist that it would kill him. He now lectures/teaches at Oxford University.
So needing a new dentist, happily coincided with a practice in Oxford taking on new NHS patients. Been with them ever since. They take on new dentists, just qualified. New dentists need to learn the ropes, as it were, and often struggle to find a practice to work at. This practice takes them on, and with a large practice, there's always advice available if needed. They work hard to get it all right, of course. They tend to stay up to 2 years before I get another new face. Currently being attended to by a very attractive young lady. Makes appointments almost a pleasure. Have to travel 22 miles though.
My partner, being in a wheelchair, has to go to the local dental hospital. Had a bit of a fight recently, as they tried to drop her. Won that one. Otherwise difficult to find an NHS dentist with wheelchair access.

It's now been about 5 hours since the stitches were put in and one has let go already. I had to rush out so quickly this morning that I didn't even have time for a cup of tea. So, about 10 minutes ago I risked a really soft bit of bread with the crusts cut off and I think it was the chewing action that did for the stitch. the other two are still intact. I'm slightly worried about the one that let go because it was holding the bit of gum she cut back so it now covered the socket. I've just carefully - can't do anything other than carefully because it hurts - explored it with my tongue and there was a bit of doughy bread under the flap. Had a quick and gently wash out with some plain water which seems to have flushed it out successfully, nipped a bit though. Going to have a tin of cream of chicken soup for my dinner.

You're bang on with the co-codamol, it's 30/500 codeine paracetamol. She advised me to take Ibuprofen and/or paracetamol with a 2 hour gap between dose. I took 2 ibuprofen about an hour after I got home when it was starting to all wake up and I've now, about 20 minutes ago, taken a couple of Paracetamol. The Paracetamol seems to be having a much better pain suppressant action than the Ibuprofen, although I suppose, as I was fresh out of the "torture chair" when I took the Ibuprofen and it's had a few hours to calm down before I took the Paracetamol so it's really a very fair comparison.

Regarding dentists up here. Yes, they do seem to be drifting more towards private practice. We've been going to our dentist for many years and over that time he's become more of a friend than simply our dentist. He owned the practice and has been complaining for a few years now how difficult he finds it to recruit NHS dentists - I think there are 4 or 5 surgery rooms in his practice. Even when he does succeed in recruiting someone he then has trouble hanging on to them because of the much greater financial rewards available in private practice. About a year ago he sold up to a large conglomerate but stayed on as a practicing dentist in their employ. He told me it was because he was so fed up with all the petty paperwork he had to do and he didn't have so much time to do what he became a dentist for - fixing people's teeth. I learned from his receptionist today that he's retiring this summer and that, so far, the practice has not managed to attract a replacement. We'll all miss him greatly. Last year my younger boy got a nasty surprise. He'd been so busy with his business that he'd forgotten about his annual checkup. I think he'd been sent at least one reminder which he'd ignored. When he recently got round to contacting them to have his checkup, he was told he'd been dropped from the listing as he'd failed to attend and failed to reply to subsequent reminders. Silly boy, now he's trying to find a dental practice which doesn't have a closed list.to maintain
Much sympathy. I hope it sorts soon. I have a crown bridge. Its fallen out now 5 times in 6 months. £90 a pop to have it put back. Its out at the moment and Im going to get another dentist to give me a second opinion on how to proceed! Teeth are INCREDIBLY expensive to maintain. More expensive than the Panda by far. Makes dealer fees seem cheap!

Much sympathy. I hope it sorts soon. I have a crown bridge. Its fallen out now 5 times in 6 months. £90 a pop to have it put back. Its out at the moment and Im going to get another dentist to give me a second opinion on how to proceed! Teeth are INCREDIBLY expensive to maintain. More expensive than the Panda by far. Makes dealer fees seem cheap!
Few people like seeing the dentist, but tooth pain is not something to be ignored.
Many years ago a dentist I had seemed to fill at every visit, but pain was still there, I recall one time pain was so bad I was banging my head against the posts of the garage ramp to take my mind off it, dentist said his usual "I can fill it", I said No! Take it out, which he begrudgingly did, in those days it cost £5 NHS , several months later running my tongue around I found a piece of the tooth which he had broken off and had finally worked it's way out.
For many years I have used a firm manual toothbrush three times a day and throw out when the bristles start to bend after about 4/5 days, the dentist always tells me off about that, however at 70 my teeth are mostly all still there and better than my sisters and other family members even those that have had private company health care etc. Considering I still crunch up boiled sweets and eat ice cream with golden syrup etc. Lucky so far, tomorrow they will all fall out. Just incase someone shouts BS.;););)

Attachments

• DSCF1243.JPG
    DSCF1243.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 10
I do believe in the benefits of full fat milk, as child we were quite poor as my mother brought us up on a widows pension, so at school I got the job of milk monitor, it was in the days that a 1/3rd pint of milk was offered to all school children, this meant that I got to drink all the bottles not used that morning;).
It turned out later my second ex wife also had that school job, but used it so she could avoid drinking the milk! So that, along with drinking several litres of original Coca cola every day had a negative affect.

Back