Where do you buy your parts from?

Currently reading:
Where do you buy your parts from?

The reason I posted is exactly this. I'm OK with paying a bit more if I can get the right parts quickly.
Shop4parts are far better 👍

Look at the variants THEY LIST compared to EuroCarParts

Engine Oil as a prime example 😉
I've tried looking for a local motor factor but haven't found one really close.

I found another online company that I don't think has been mentioned, does anyone have experience of this company?

This post is from 10 am... 😒

Parts in motion...

Only seen them on Ebay, VERY mixed results

Ordered a FIAT engine part, got a weird shaped package with a HOOK HANGING OUT

Rang them to say wheres my item?

"It was delivered at 11:50"

I questioned.. What was..
"your FIAT Part"..

Absolutely clueless and inflexible.. But cheap

Anybody want a handbrake cable for a transit.. Unused but damaged packaging.. Cost me £18

Ive been through the list of suppliers noted here, and a few others I saw online. Looking at prices for a Front Right Shock absorber for a 2008 Grande Punto these are the results.

Shop4parts = £58
Carparts4less =£85
Partsworld = none there
TMC = none there
Ricambio = none there
Alfa shop = none there
Parts in motion = £ 67 (but looks like an ebay seller I want to avoid)
Autodoc = £51
General Traffic = £74
GSF car parts = £65
Pentlandcomponents= have to phone them
Dingbro = trade only
TPS= VW only
SRS=light vehicles/vans
Halfords = £75
Watt Brothers = can't find their website

Autodoc have a £9 delivery charge bringing the price inc VAT to £60. Shop4parts has free delivery so their price is £58, they are the cheapest for this part.

Has anyone used Autodoc? they seem very competitive. I've seen their car fix videos on Youtube but that is all I know about them.

Last edited:
The likes of GSF often have big discounts. right now your £65 has 10% off, check it again another day and it might be more discount, or go in store and you can get stuff cheaper still sometimes.

Places like GSF or Euro car Parts also do click and collect so you can often get parts in a matter of minutes much like buying things from Screwfix

The likes of GSF often have big discounts. right now your £65 has 10% off, check it again another day and it might be more discount, or go in store and you can get stuff cheaper still sometimes.

Places like GSF or Euro car Parts also do click and collect so you can often get parts in a matter of minutes much like buying things from Screwfix
That's good to know. With the 10% discount the GSF part is also £58 with free delivery. And after checking I can see GSF have a store down the road.

I've been trying to find a CES store I used years ago, I thought they had gone bust but can now see they changed into GSF

Last edited:
Ive been through the list of suppliers noted here, and a few others I saw online. Looking at prices for a Front Right Shock absorber for a 2008 Grande Punto these are the results.

Shop4parts = £58
Carparts4less =£85
Partsworld = none there
TMC = none there
Ricambio = none there
Alfa shop = none there
Parts in motion = £ 67 (but looks like an ebay seller I want to avoid)
Autodoc = £51
General Traffic = £74
GSF car parts = £65
Pentlandcomponents= have to phone them
Dingbro = trade only
TPS= VW only
SRS=light vehicles/vans
Halfords = £75
Watt Brothers = can't find their website

Autodoc have a £9 delivery charge bringing the price inc VAT to £60. Shop4parts has free delivery so their price is £58, they are the cheapest for this part.

Has anyone used Autodoc? they seem very competitive. I've seen their car fix videos on Youtube but that is all I know about them.
Yes, I’ve used Autodoc they are pretty competitive and I’ve used them a few times…BUT returns is a bit of a nightmare if you get the wrong part delivered. This stems from their belief that they are infallible.
I ordered a bottom hose for my Jeep XJ and got a top hose for a Jaguar XJ.
It’s not like you CAN order the wrong part as you have to drill down on make, model, year, engine, variant…so hardly my fault, but it was £15 and not worth the hassle to return

Yes, I’ve used Autodoc they are pretty competitive and I’ve used them a few times…BUT returns is a bit of a nightmare if you get the wrong part delivered. This stems from their belief that they are infallible.
I ordered a bottom hose for my Jeep XJ and got a top hose for a Jaguar XJ.
It’s not like you CAN order the wrong part as you have to drill down on make, model, year, engine, variant…so hardly my fault, but it was £15 and not worth the hassle to return
Righto, so Autodoc are off the list. I would need to return the odd part and a bad returns regime is a no no for me.

So its GFS and Shop4parts which win the day.

Shop4parts do have an FF discount code too 😉
How do i find the FF discount code?

I gather you have to donate to the FF.

What percentage is the discount?

Edit: I posted this and the "donate" link was magically added to the post, so I'm taking a look!

Edit number 2: I did make a donation, not sure if I did so anonymously or not, will check later to see what happened.

Last edited:
I've tried looking for a local motor factor but haven't found one really close.

I found another online company that I don't think has been mentioned, does anyone have experience of this company?

I have bought from them and in general pretty good.

I've possibly used them on eBay. The good thing about ebay is the returns are easy, but I keep getting too many parts which are causing me extra effort.
I usually ask the question "does this part fit Reg.Number****", not100% but does help as that is the first question asked at Motor Factors in general these days. eBay is often wrong in what it says will fit your vehicle.
If the seller says yes, it is harder for them to wriggle and say you have ordered the wrong part and will only give partial refund etc.
Down here for parts I use MPD Motor Parts Direct, not cheapest but as they deal with the trade every day staff usually know what they are talking about.
Retired now but did have several trade accounts in the past, I used them for quick delivery even though cheaper on eBay, but then towards the end found quality was getting worse though price stayed higher:(

I usually ask the question "does this part fit Reg.Number****", not100% but does help as that is the first question asked at Motor Factors in general these days. eBay is often wrong in what it says will fit your vehicle.
If the seller says yes, it is harder for them to wriggle and say you have ordered the wrong part and will only give partial refund etc.
Down here for parts I use MPD Motor Parts Direct, not cheapest but as they deal with the trade every day staff usually know what they are talking about.
Retired now but did have several trade accounts in the past, I used them for quick delivery even though cheaper on eBay, but then towards the end found quality was getting worse though price stayed higher:(
I think there is an OEM number for every Fiat part and if i used that it would make getting an identical part easier. I think a lot of the ebay sellers say a part will fit but I wonder how they can fit for example 100 different models, sometimes different makes.

I also sometimes get seconds parts, or returns with a little damage, or if i buy two then one is broke. Its quite a mixed bag, but almost always cheap, and sometimes there's even next day delivery. I need a bit more certainty though.

I did originally find the car parts in motion website, and later remembered they sell a lot on ebay.

I think there is an OEM number for every Fiat part and if i used that it would make getting an identical part easier. I think a lot of the ebay sellers say a part will fit but I wonder how they can fit for example 100 different models, sometimes different makes.

I also sometimes get seconds parts, or returns with a little damage, or if i buy two then one is broke. Its quite a mixed bag, but almost always cheap, and sometimes there's even next day delivery. I need a bit more certainty though.

I did originally find the car parts in motion website, and later remembered they sell a lot on ebay.
I don't buy much these days, but you seem to be having a hard time with suppliers.
Generally with eBay I won't buy if feedback less than 99.6% and even the read the negatives.

Last edited:
Righto, so Autodoc are off the list. I would need to return the odd part and a bad returns regime is a no no for me.

So its GFS and Shop4parts which win the day.
I’d use AUTODOC again…just triple check them now
Shop4parts is THE go to for parts, and some of us have used them from day one, wehn they started in ‘82
They still have a parts counter for us that aren’t too far away

I’d use AUTODOC again…just triple check them now
Shop4parts is THE go to for parts, and some of us have used them from day one, wehn they started in ‘82
They still have a parts counter for us that aren’t too far away
I got spoiled in the old days when you drove to the motor factors and the staff could look at the old part you showed them, quote the part number from their head, go out the back and give it to you.
In 1970 we had a lady who could do all of that plus mix paint for spraying and reline brake shoes etc. she had been there for years and really knew her job, sadly company got taken over by a bigger company and her approach of calling a spade an "effing shovel" whilst it went down well with customers was not appreciated by management.;)

I got spoiled in the old days when you drove to the motor factors and the staff could look at the old part you showed them, quote the part number from their head, go out the back and give it to you.
In 1970 we had a lady who could do all of that plus mix paint for spraying and reline brake shoes etc. she had been there for years and really knew her job, sadly company got taken over by a bigger company and her approach of calling a spade an "effing shovel" whilst it went down well with customers was not appreciated by management.;)
Och aye Mike, the "good" old days, I'd love to see them back, I think?

One unexpected result of my brother's recent death has been that I'm meeting quite a number of his friends. They're mostly of my/his generation so many in their 60's and 70's and all, without exception, seem to share my, rather politically incorrect, view of the modern world. They are all being so supportive and helpful and I'm feeling at ease and at home with them in a way that I've not felt with a group of people for many years. makes me realize that I really belong home in the Scottish Borders. Maybe too late to sell up, move there and start again though?

Back