Styling What tyres will i need....and a few other questions :P

Currently reading:
Styling What tyres will i need....and a few other questions :P

Kerr1992

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow
Hi guys,

New on the forum, i have a few questions :)

Im looking at getting myself a set of 17" but i went into halfords to ask what tyre size i will need for my grande punto active sport and he gave me two sizes,

205/45/R17,

also,

215/40/R17,

surely i cant have two different tyre depth as this would affect my cars speed? as one of them wont be the same overall size as the wheels that are on just now :O

And also, where can i get myself a nice set of angel eye headlights that are well made, that wont leak or anything like that,

Im an ex corsa owner and parts are so easy to get for them than for the punto :p its a good thing the puntos nicer to drive :p lol

Any advice would be great guys :p

Thanks
Craig

the tyre sizes have nothing to do with tread depth, you need the size that best matched the rolling radius of your original wheels and tyres. id say that you need 205-45-17 like on the sporting tjet and mjet

the tyre sizes have nothing to do with tread depth, you need the size that best matched the rolling radius of your original wheels and tyres. id say that you need 205-45-17 like on the sporting tjet and mjet

I dont think i said anything about tread depth, lol, i just meant the depth of the tyre in general, if you know what i mean, the "45" :p lol

halfords just gave me two sizes and i think it can only be one or the other because i cant have both "40" and "45" because i have to keep the wheel and tyre the same size but one of them will be different :O lol

I dont think i said anything about tread depth, lol, i just meant the depth of the tyre in general, if you know what i mean, the "45" :p lol

halfords just gave me two sizes and i think it can only be one or the other because i cant have both "40" and "45" because i have to keep the wheel and tyre the same size but one of them will be different :O lol

well you did say depth which means tread depth. the depth of the sidewall is the wall profile. you dont need both sizes? i dont even understand where you get that idea from. i said you ideally need the size 205-45-17 on all 4 alloys! or 215-45-17

In the handbook, it says i need 205/45/R17 but i went into halfords to have a look at some wheels and they said 205/40/R17 will fit as well, im just saying how can the 205/40/R17 fit if the handbook says i need 205/45/R17? It will affect my cars speedo will it not?

... looking at getting myself a set of 17" but i went into halfords to ask what tyre size i will need for my grande punto active sport and he gave me two sizes ... Im an ex corsa owner and parts are so easy to get for them than for the punto :p ...

My OH (07/2008 1st ed) gives 205/45R17 88V. What OH gives 215/40R17? or what's the origin of that idea?

Given the GP & Corsa-Delta share the same platform – what Corsa wheels will fit the GP?

Only a corsa owner would go to HALFORDS for advice on tyres. They dont even sell tyres unless they come on the overprice ripspeed wheels they sell. Why would they have any clue what tyres you need on your car?

205/45 or 205/40 is fine. Ive ran both on my GP.

Assuming the circumference of your original wheels and tyres is the same as that of a Sporting, by my calculations your speedo will read 103.45% of the figure it previously read if you opt for the 40 profile tyres. If your speedo is anything like mine it over reads by about 8% anyway, this would take you to 11.17% over read; the legal max is 10% I believe (though I doubt anyone enforces this).

Having said that, I doubt that your original wheels and tyres would be as big as sporting examples and I suspect that the speedo is calibrated differently for different models. In which case 40 profile may provide the closest match. As someone else suggested, use one of the websites that lets you enter your original tyre size and the new tyre size to check it and simply go for the closest match.

Assuming the circumference of your original wheels and tyres is the same as that of a Sporting, by my calculations your speedo will read 103.45% of the figure it previously read if you opt for the 40 profile tyres. If your speedo is anything like mine it over reads by about 8% anyway, this would take you to 11.17% over read; the legal max is 10% I believe (though I doubt anyone enforces this).

Having said that, I doubt that your original wheels and tyres would be as big as sporting examples and I suspect that the speedo is calibrated differently for different models. In which case 40 profile may provide the closest match. As someone else suggested, use one of the websites that lets you enter your original tyre size and the new tyre size to check it and simply go for the closest match.

The rolling radius is the same across the range, regardless of standard wheel size. The profile of the tyres will always be chosen so that it is the same as the other wheel/ tyre sizes available.

Look guys,

I didnt join this forum to be judged on which cars i have had in the past, ok?

Yes i had a corsa and it was a fantastic car, would probably have out manouvered any punto,

As for the wheels, i don't go to halfords for wheels, or tyres, usually, however i happened to be in there and spotted a set of wheels i liked the look of but they only come on 205/40/R17, i asked if the could change them but they said no, im possibly going to ask if i can get the wheels without tyres but i doubt they will do that either :/

Well ill take your advice then,

however,

the wheels i like are the calibre pro7, you probably know the ones im talking about, they are black 7 spoke wheels,

Can you suggest similer wheels? preferably ones that wont break the bank :p

Thanks

Well halfrauds generally dont have a clue what they are talking about and they are stupidly over priced. Have you looked on the internet for the wheel you want?

Assuming the original tyres are 175/65/15 then radii are as follows (ignoring tyre deflection which I will assume is the same in all cases):

Original (175/65/15): 304.25mm
Sporting (205/45/17): 308.15mm
Halfords (205/40/17): 297.9mm

The original sits somewhere between the Halfords size and the Sporting size. Either will in reality be fine, plenty of people use 40 profile tyres on Sportings because they are a more common size.

hey guys,

I have settled on a set of wolfrace pro-lites in gloss black, i had a set of 15" ones on my corsa and liked them :)

Im considering getting a set of coil overs aswell :) i dont wanna lower my car much, just 20mm or something so theres a smallish gap above the wheels but no grinding when i have people in the back :p

And another question :p

If money was no object, how could i tune a 1.4 8v? can i increase it to 16v or would that require a new engine?

I dont know much about engines,

And also, what would happen if i strapped a turbo to my 1.4 8v? :p

Back