Styling Peeling paint top coat, what can I do?

Currently reading:
Styling Peeling paint top coat, what can I do?

RedPeril

The bonnet on my 2009 Punto has started to show some peeling of the top layer, the coat that makes it shiny! The problem is only on the bonnet and seems to have stopped spreading. My car is street parked so gets hit by all sorts of weather. I've attached a photo.

What might have caused it? Is there any way back? Any thoughts, advice or experience would be received, gratefully!

Attachments

• 23-08-27 bonnet.jpg
    23-08-27 bonnet.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 90
Mine does that too. Very poor paint quality. Only way is to repaint bonnet, or part of the bonnet, and apply clear coating.

Thanks for your reply paloskii. What did you end up doing? I've had a suggestion that applying Clearcoat may solve my problem as the matt paint layer underneath is intact.

Thanks for your reply paloskii. What did you end up doing? I've had a suggestion that applying Clearcoat may solve my problem as the matt paint layer underneath is intact.

Basically, the whole bonnet needs sanding back and repainting, you can’t just paint a clear coat over the top, as the old paint is already separating and will continue to do so unless you sand it right back

I did nothing hah. I bought like that, and when I decide to repaint the bonnet, my GP suffered nasty hail damage and dent on one of the doors from unknown driver.

So I gave up. I focused on interior to be nice and clean and so far I'm happy with that.

Back