General What to do with my old car?

Currently reading:
General What to do with my old car?

WolfCrazy64

Hello, some of you may know I have a little red punto that had it's backside smushed in by a nissan micra D: and the insurance have declared it a cat c write off unfortunetly. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with the car now. My neighbor says it might be better to scrap it, but the damage is only on the back, and the engine still works perfectly, along with all other systems. The damage is;
Badly cracked bumper
Badly dented boot door
Boot floor is crumpled on the right hand side
There is no damage to the suspension though
Boot lock has been pushed out of place
Cracked and bent number plate
I was thinking maybe someone could either fix the car up or take the engine out and put it in a broken car. If I did sell it, how much could I ask for?
Milage is 92315
It is safe to drive short distances
Pictures will be up tomorrow
Cheers

Hello, some of you may know I have a little red punto that had it's backside smushed in by a nissan micra D: and the insurance have declared it a cat c write off unfortunetly. Anyway, I'm not sure what to do with the car now. My neighbor says it might be better to scrap it, but the damage is only on the back, and the engine still works perfectly, along with all other systems. The damage is;
Badly cracked bumper
Badly dented boot door
Boot floor is crumpled on the right hand side
There is no damage to the suspension though
Boot lock has been pushed out of place
Cracked and bent number plate
I was thinking maybe someone could either fix the car up or take the engine out and put it in a broken car. If I did sell it, how much could I ask for?
Milage is 92315
It is safe to drive short distances
Pictures will be up tomorrow
Cheers

If it was me personally i would cancel the whole claim and then pay for repairs myself. What you will have to pay out for repair will be less than what you will lose otherwise by the sound of it. Bootlid and rear bumper isnt a massive job and plenty of places could do this easily. Or you could even do it yourself

Boot floor is crumpled so best to buy another car with good body and dead engine and/or gearbox and put your good stuff in it. cat C requires vic to go back on the road

If I had the space, money, and know how I would :( I don't want to lose it as it really is a lovely car

Ebay it or gumtree,

some one might buy it for a project..(someone who's at college might benefit from it,)

Careful who you sell it too, ask for ID and get areciept,
to cover your self,

ive seen your add, ithink,

If this is CAT C

Put a disclaimer in the Add. Buyer to remove car via trailer/transporter.

also if its Recorded cat-c it will need a Vic-test. (not legal to drive on the road as is)

Even tho your selling it for peanuts..you need to be careful,
Cover your self on the legal side of the sale,

Last edited:
So you have the insurance payout and you kept the car? I'd always thought if someone rear-ended me I'd get their settlement and they'd keep the dead car. Or I may have misunderstood insurance completely

Often if it is the insurers of the at fault driver paying out and the car is low value they just send a check and say keep the car. It saves them the hassle of picking it up and disposing of it when recovery cost would be more than the salvage value. The owner can then do what they like with it i.e keep using it, sell it on, break it for parts or weigh it in for scrap.

As already said make sure you tell the purchaser it has a cat c marker on it before completing the sale to cover yourself.

I think you've missunderstood how insurance claims work, if the insurance co had declared it a write off then they agree a value collect the car pay out and you go buy another car, they then sell it (usually at auction) to recoup some of the costs and that's where it is categorised as a Cat A B C or D

If you don't claim or don't except the pay out and retain ownership of the car then the car is 'unrecorded' and will not show up on an HPI check

So at the moment you should have an unrecorded damaged car.

Why didn't you just get the insurance to pay out for it especially if it was the other party's fault ??? You would have gotten a lot more money

I think you've missunderstood how insurance claims work, if the insurance co had declared it a write off then they agree a value collect the car pay out and you go buy another car, they then sell it (usually at auction) to recoup some of the costs and that's where it is categorised as a Cat A B C or D

If you don't claim or don't except the pay out and retain ownership of the car then the car is 'unrecorded' and will not show up on an HPI check

So at the moment you should have an unrecorded damaged car.

Why didn't you just get the insurance to pay out for it especially if it was the other party's fault ??? You would have gotten a lot more money

what kind of sum are we talking about here

Often if it is the insurers of the at fault driver paying out and the car is low value they just send a check and say keep the car. It saves them the hassle of picking it up and disposing of it when recovery cost would be more than the salvage value. The owner can then do what they like with it i.e keep using it, sell it on, break it for parts or weigh it in for scrap.

As already said make sure you tell the purchaser it has a cat c marker on it before completing the sale to cover yourself.

That is what the insurance have done with me they sent me a check for the value of my car and told me I can keep it and do what I like with it

andyrkett, i can assure you what i have stated about insurance is correct, what you refer to is how it should be done in an ideal world not what actually happens all the time in the real world.

I'd just scrap it

It's not so bad selling a car privately in good shape but add in damage and you'll get no end of time wasters looking to make a quick buck mess you about scrap man will take it away and then it's done with

Back