Technical urgent help!!! power loss in HGT

Currently reading:
Technical urgent help!!! power loss in HGT

yes, its called the timing sensor in the fiat manual, on page21 of the 2.0 20v engine section in volume1 of the manual.

CAT is the catalytic converter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter

if the cat breaks down inside it can block your exhaust causing too much backpressure. that results in a powerloss, and usually the engine will not rev very high. you can use a back pressure tester to see if this is your problem, they are easy to use you simply replace the lambda sensor in front of the cat with the tester, the pressure should be low in a healthy exhaust, it depends on the car but generally i'm suspicious if it peaks at more than 8psi. many engine compression testers can also be used as back pressure testers if you have the 12MM and 18MM adapters.

Last edited:
hi jug,
I think there is a misunderstanding.I haven't got a fiat manuel and I want the page about the cam sensor if possible.I saw the page about the rpm/tdc sensor that you submitted in the forum. If you can put the page as you did like the rpm sensor I will be very happy.I have attached a photo and I want to learn what this cylindrical sensor stands for and what is its job?. In Turkey in the authorised dealer's manuel it is called as MAP.(manifold absolute pressure sensor)
again thanks a lot

Attachments

• Photo-0072.jpg
    Photo-0072.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 39
sorry i thought you had the manuals. you can download them here: http://www.babarmalik.com/ledmods.htm

attached is the sheet for the cam sensor (called timing sensor in the fiat manual).

your model does not have a MAP sensor.

that "cylindrical sensor" in your pic is the phase transformer solenoid valve. it isnt a sensor, it is simply a valve that is opened by a relay.

Attachments

• cam20v.JPG
    cam20v.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
i forgot to add the info for the phase transformer solenoid valve (how it works).
it is needed for the variable valve timing.

Attachments

• phase transformer.JPG
    phase transformer.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
my brain really isnt working today, i only attached half the second sheet :bang:

Attachments

• phase transformer info.JPG
    phase transformer info.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 62
hi jug
I cleaned phase transformer with fuel two times.Is it dangerous for transformer?

the phase transformer solenoid valve is a very basic part, its perfectly safe to clean it with petrol. WD40 would be better.

is there a lower resonator in 1998 hgt? In the manual it was shown but in my car I didn't see that part.

hi jug,
I saw it in the fiat manual vol1 on page 9.There is a diagram about air intake circuit.It was shown in this diagram.

i just checked the diagram, yes you definately should have that part. it is very difficult to see unless you remove the air intake pipe from above it.

hi jug,
I removed the air intake pipe and didn't see the lower resonator shown in the diagram.Is it normal? I read from the manual that it has important functions in hgt.
I used lıquı moly oil sludge remover before the planned oil change and add RESTORE to the fresh oil but it was written on the can as ''can be used in all 4-stroke engines''.Is there something wrong with this application? (can is 250ml and original.It was imported from USA)

I also checked the manual vol3 but didn't see the lower resonator in the diagram. In the diagram there isn't a lower resonator.Is it normal?
A PCV (positive Crank ventilation) relief valve can cause power loss in hgt?

the resonator isnt important, you can remove it, the only problem is the noise this creates, but many people like the sound better with the resonator removed so they remove it on purpose. i'm not sure if the later models also had the resonator. eitehr way i would not worry, the only reason a resonator is fitted is to make the intake more quiet.

you can use the restore additive, your engine is a 4 stroke.

in theory a faulty PCV valve can lead to a loss of performance if it is stuck closed. it is a simple valve so you can easily check if it is stuck closed.

Last edited:
hi jug,
Again I have some more questions for you.
during the cambelt change is it possible that my pistons are defected? A technician said that your pistons could be curved (so little) during the cambelt change so a power loss can occur. If so, something will happen bad to my engine in the future or maybe now, isn’t it? However, after the cambelt change I used the car for about 26000 kms and still using. In this period everything seems ok and the engine works fine. If there is a damage how can I understand? Again the engine works fine, the rev is ok and the examiner results are so normal when checking all the outputs.
Can the technician be right?
Again thanks a lot

nothing can affect the pistons during a cambelt change, the pistons dont move at all, and nothing touches them.

since your engine has been fine for 26000 kms we know the cambelt change was fine. however the timing belt may have slipped recently, which is why a compression test was needed. since your compression test results were fine you know the timing is fine, and so are the pistons.

Last edited:
hi jug,
the same problem that I mentioned above could be valid for the valves during the cambelt change?
thanks

Back