Tyre question

Currently reading:
Tyre question

My mum has a mini and she has just noticed that her tyre is flat. She's checked the manual and she apparently has run flat tyres and it says that she can drive up to 150 miles at max speed 50mph "to continue her journey".

She says she is going to wait until Saturday to change her tyre(s) (she believes at least one is under the legal minimum too because they told her on the service she had last autumn - lord knows why she didn't get them to change it - she's also only done 14K so not sure why her tyre is so low unless it's the way she drives - yes i know it gets worse!) because she doesn't want to take her car to the mini garage to get new tyres when the car is dirty because she is taking it in on saturday to get it valued for a part ex on a new mini.

I personally woulnd't go to the mini garage for new tyres anyway but that is by the by.

So my question is : am i being unreasonable telling her that unless she goes to get tyre changed today or tomorrow then she cannot take my 4 year old son out in her car on Friday? I say that it's dangerous, run-flat tyre or not.......... and that also risk of blow out?

She is ringing me back when she finishes work at 12 so any help would be useful. Thanks.

Any tyre, with a puncture or visible carcas damage should be replaced at the earliest opportunity wether run-flat or not.

Its a no-brainer Heidi... you are correct, your Mom is putting economics & convenience ahead of her (and others) safety.

Its a no-brainer Heidi... you are correct, your Mom is putting economics & convenience ahead of her (and others) safety.

:yeahthat:

She's probably invalidating her insurance. Run flats are for emergencys like getting off of motorways, or to a garage, not to keep running around on until you can be bothered to sort it.

i would not drive the car at all until she goes to look at new minis then agree a price without them looking at it then put air in the tyres and then drive it the very short way to the garage

they didn't even look at my mums Ka when they part xed it

Thanks. I am now prepared for her call to me. However I think it will all be sorted because she said she is going to ring the Mini garage at 12 when finishes work and they are bound to suggest new tyres today, surely? Otherwise aren't they promoting illegal driving?

Thanks. I am now prepared for her call to me. However I think it will all be sorted because she said she is going to ring the Mini garage at 12 when finishes work and they are bound to suggest new tyres today, surely? Otherwise aren't they promoting illegal driving?

Dont bank on it Heidi, the driver is always held responsible for any vehicle defect.

I'm sure they will suggest new tyres, but not necessarily because they are tying to avoid promoting dangerous driving, but if there's a sale in it for them....

But I agree with the others - you can't take the safety of your child too seriously, as you clearly already know. You've done the right thing.

My mum has a mini and she has just noticed that her tyre is flat. She's checked the manual and she apparently has run flat tyres and it says that she can drive up to 150 miles at max speed 50mph "to continue her journey".

She says she is going to wait until Saturday to change her tyre(s) (she believes at least one is under the legal minimum too because they told her on the service she had last autumn - lord knows why she didn't get them to change it - she's also only done 14K so not sure why her tyre is so low unless it's the way she drives - yes i know it gets worse!) because she doesn't want to take her car to the mini garage to get new tyres when the car is dirty because she is taking it in on saturday to get it valued for a part ex on a new mini.

I personally woulnd't go to the mini garage for new tyres anyway but that is by the by.

So my question is : am i being unreasonable telling her that unless she goes to get tyre changed today or tomorrow then she cannot take my 4 year old son out in her car on Friday? I say that it's dangerous, run-flat tyre or not.......... and that also risk of blow out?

She is ringing me back when she finishes work at 12 so any help would be useful. Thanks.
Heidi, she should change the tyre ASAP!!!

If she only just noticed the tyre is flat has it been flat for a day? week? month? Was she doing 70 on it whilst it was flat?

Not cool :shrug:

People laugh at me on the 500 forum for being a tyre nerd and running winter tyres but I've never run bald tyres or flat tyres....

Update : she phoned mini garage, doesn't have run flat tyres. She went to nearest kwikfit and now has two new tyres. Result : a happy daughter.

:)
Safe mum and safe son too (y)

Some people are just too damn blasé about tyres!

Back