Technical Twin-Air MPG

Currently reading:
Technical Twin-Air MPG

Last tankful 34 brim to brim, 36 on the computer. Mostly town and a lot of ticking over to keep warm. Getting worse........

Just an update. I have bothered with specifics at the moment cos every tankful is a thoroughly disappointing mid to low thirties. Getting not much more than 250 - 300 miles to a tankful at the moment.

Should've bought the diesel....... :(

Just an update. I have bothered with specifics at the moment cos every tankful is a thoroughly disappointing mid to low thirties. Getting not much more than 250 - 300 miles to a tankful at the moment.

Should've bought the diesel....... :(

do you do enough to avoid DPF/ EGR issues..??,

my use is marginal hence the TA option,and diesel Punto's are lower spec..!!

Charlie

On the Multi I used to do 25,000 per year. This one is limited to 15,000 but I think that would still be enough to warrant a diesel. I am just so disappointed, as I've whined about before. I reckon I'd get as much MPG from the 1.4, I really do.

And that would have been an awful lot cheaper. I know I have been told that it will improve after about 10,000 miles but that is virtually a quarter of the time I will own it.

Anyway, no complaining, I said in an earlier post. Sorry! :p

My Punto multijet is a very good spec certainly not lower ,i don`t do high mileage,im on just under 12,000 refinement is great and i average 60mpg easily if im gentle like when i travelled to Manchester and back in the summer then high 70,s is easy,the 500l is larger and heavier not sure as to its mpg but i would of thought around 52 mpg in multijet form ,then its down to cost etc(y)
attachment.php

Horror. Just been out and looked at the average consumption figure for this tankful so far. 31.9 mpg! I could get that out of a 2 litre petrol, no problem.

I just think now that I should've gone for the Kia Rio diesel or the Dacia Duster diesel. Both were cheaper, as spacious and Ive no doubt more economical. I let my Fiat heart rule my sensible head and I was taken in by the advertised economy figures. Shame, cos it's a great little car, but low thirties mpg on average per tankful from a modern 875cc petrol engine is, I'm afraid, completely unacceptable. My old 1725cc Hillman Hunter used to get near these figures!

Ok I know it's supposed to be a tight engine and it is winter, but all the same. The mpg has been getting progressively worse, not better, as I've used it and I personally don't think it will get much better, certainly not even within spitting distance of the advertised figures. I'm putting in £50 a week to get less than 300 miles. And I'm stuck with the bloody thing for 3 years, I think.

I'm sure the Twin-air is a revolutionary and fun engine, but tbh I can't see and advantage of it, apart from maybe the road tax, than a much bigger petrol engine.:(

I'm sure the Twin-air is a revolutionary and fun engine, but tbh I can't see and advantage of it, apart from maybe the road tax, than a much bigger petrol engine.

Yes i hear what your saying only you can make this decision,i bought my punto saw combined mpg 80.9 but as this is done in a tunnel and not in the real world i knew i would possibly only get 60mpg which is what i`m getting ,winter 55 mpgsummer 65mpg average 60mpg, i looked recently at the kia rio 1.1 diesel combined mpg 82 but owners complaining they cant get anywhere near it on average 50mpg it seems the new tax rules for emissions are letting all manufactures get away with it unfortunately,good luck with what you decide to do.

Horror. Just been out and looked at the average consumption figure for this tankful so far. 31.9 mpg! I could get that out of a 2 litre petrol, no problem.

I just think now that I should've gone for the Kia Rio diesel or the Dacia Duster diesel. Both were cheaper, as spacious and Ive no doubt more economical. I let my Fiat heart rule my sensible head and I was taken in by the advertised economy figures. Shame, cos it's a great little car, but low thirties mpg on average per tankful from a modern 875cc petrol engine is, I'm afraid, completely unacceptable. My old 1725cc Hillman Hunter used to get near these figures!

Ok I know it's supposed to be a tight engine and it is winter, but all the same. The mpg has been getting progressively worse, not better, as I've used it and I personally don't think it will get much better, certainly not even within spitting distance of the advertised figures. I'm putting in £50 a week to get less than 300 miles. And I'm stuck with the bloody thing for 3 years, I think.

I'm sure the Twin-air is a revolutionary and fun engine, but tbh I can't see and advantage of it, apart from maybe the road tax, than a much bigger petrol engine.:(

That is disappointing indeed and although it won't make you feel much better about it I do feel vindicated in getting the cheaper 1.4 petrol. I always had a sneaking suspicion that some of the claimed twin air MPG figures were possibly over stated (well overstated in the case of those claimed by FIAT themselves). We are now on just 5K miles and our figures are better than that and importantly have improved not deteriorated from when we first got the car in September.

It's a pity FIAT can't be nailed under the trade descriptions act for this but then they are not the only manufacturers who well overstate MPG figures.

They all should be compelled to advertise 'actual real world' figures rather than those that seem to be obtained in nearly 'laboratory' conditions.

Just looked at one of my old replies in this thread. Combined economy figures should be 58.9 mpg. I'm barely getting half that! Urban cycle is 49.6 mpg and I've not even got near that, I don't think.

Even If I assume all the motoring I do is urban cycle (which it isn't) I'm getting 17mpg less than the quoted figure.

I'm starting to believe it may actually be my car, rather than the twin-air in general? Back to main dealer, me thinks.

While I was in the mood, I've just banged off an e-mail to a contact in the Fiat dealer where I purchased the car. I've told him I'm not happy with the economy and if it can't be sorted, I'd like to hand the car back.

I'll let you know the response. ;)

Just looked at one of my old replies in this thread. Combined economy figures should be 58.9 mpg. I'm barely getting half that! Urban cycle is 49.6 mpg and I've not even got near that, I don't think.

Even If I assume all the motoring I do is urban cycle (which it isn't) I'm getting 17mpg less than the quoted figure.

I'm starting to believe it may actually be my car, rather than the twin-air in general? Back to main dealer, me thinks.

I know we are "comparing apples to oranges" here.., 85HP Punto ;)
but I drive steadily most of the time ( traffic), and sportily when I feel like it :D/ need to and have never had worse than 40mpg from a tank,
sure hte IC reads 27 when I'm accelerating in MOST gears.. but then return to floating between 70 and 45 when running along @ 56 MPH,

get it looked at..!!,

they MIGHT just find " something",

Charlie

I know I must seem like a miserable bugger, but I ain't, honestly, lol.

Yep, I've also banged off an e-mail to Fiat UK to see what response I get from them. I hope they'll invite me in to have the car looked at.

I'll let you know the responses. (y)

Not at all Pandabloke good luck to you ,your entitled to it!! That`s why i quoted roughly what you would achieve (52mpg) from the diesel version of your car ,its as MJG says "It's a pity FIAT can't be nailed under the trade descriptions act for this but then they are not the only manufacturers who well overstate MPG figures.

They all should be compelled to advertise 'actual real world' figures rather than those that seem to be obtained in nearly 'laboratory' conditions."

I couldn't agree more these days it seems you take a mpg example my parents clio 0.9 petrol it quotes combined 65.7 mpg but they are returning only 46.4 which is only 71% of the mpg quoted ,yours is quoted around 58.9 mpg you seem to be only returning 55% which is really bad and i would be upset about that also!
Just to show you its not just petrol cars my combined should be 80.9mpg, i get 75% of it in the real world which is 60mpg unless its a long run in the summer so it seems to be the new thing ,my old punto 1.9hgt quoted 52.9mpg combined and i actually got 51 mpg so i think its all new cars from 2009 when some tax/emissions via the government changed. Good luck and if you don't get much joy try trading standards you never know.

Just to update you all. Not yet had a response from either the main dealer or Fiat Uk. Looks like customer service is as bad as the economy figures......:confused:

Had a reply from my contact at the main dealers this morning, after a follow up email. He is looking in to it for me. Some good news there.

Had a reply from my contact at the main dealers this morning, after a follow up email. He is looking in to it for me. Some good news there.

This sounds as if they are treating yours as a 'one off' rather than them being aware of other TA's with the same issues??

Do they know of (m)any others I wonder?

This sounds as if they are treating yours as a 'one off' rather than them being aware of other TA's with the same issues??

Do they know of (m)any others I wonder?

I have pointed out to the main dealer that my investigations seem to show that this is at least a national problem with nearly all twin-airs, whatever capacity.

I googled 'twin-air economy problems' or something similar and it is amazing. In the albeit brief time I looked at the links, there was not one positive reply regarding twin-air economy. It was all negative, some, getting 30% - 40% less than the advertised economy figures in everyday use.

Extraordinary. I'm amazed I missed all this in my research before I bought. What a clot! :mad:

Back