Technical Gear change difficult Twin Air 500L

Currently reading:
Technical Gear change difficult Twin Air 500L

Bugleuk

Hi all, hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I have a Fiat 500L Lounge Twin Air with 6 speed manual box. In the the last month it has become difficult to select the first 3 gears, but 1-2 is the worst. Sometimes I find to go into 1st by going slightly to the right as pushing forward. Bushes on the gbox end selector cables seem fine with very minimal play.

So was wondering if there is any procedure for adjusting the selector cables. In this time I also replaced the slave cylinder as was weeping slightly.

Thanks Adam

Hi all, hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction.

I have a Fiat 500L Lounge Twin Air with 6 speed manual box. In the the last month it has become difficult to select the first 3 gears, but 1-2 is the worst. Sometimes I find to go into 1st by going slightly to the right as pushing forward. Bushes on the gbox end selector cables seem fine with very minimal play.

So was wondering if there is any procedure for adjusting the selector cables. In this time I also replaced the slave cylinder as was weeping slightly.

Thanks Adam
Hi Adam. 🙂.
The gear change is linked by 2 x cables

They can dry out and get sticky.. I lubricated mine and it made a reasonable difference

With engine Off.. And key in your pocket :

Pop the bonnet

Look behind the battery and low down

Rear of gearbox you will see the 2 cables

Put it in a gear.. Any gear. You will see 1 cable has now exposed it's inner cable

Spray that with lubricant.. Plus gas.. Cables pray, gt50.. WD40. They will all help your 9 year old cables

So select different gears.. Exposing at different times the 2 x cable inners

And lubricate as you go.. Moving the cables will work the lubricant along 😎 hopefully the action of the gearlever will feel nicer 🙂

Another thing to consider:

Try changing through all gears..
Engine OFF. then try Engine ON

Could point to a different item needing attention

Let us know what you find 👍

Hi Adam. 🙂.
The gear change is linked by 2 x cables

They can dry out and get sticky.. I lubricated mine and it made a reasonable difference

With engine Off.. And key in your pocket :

Pop the bonnet

Look behind the battery and low down

Rear of gearbox you will see the 2 cables

Put it in a gear.. Any gear. You will see 1 cable has now exposed it's inner cable

Spray that with lubricant.. Plus gas.. Cables pray, gt50.. WD40. They will all help your 9 year old cables

So select different gears.. Exposing at different times the 2 x cable inners

And lubricate as you go.. Moving the cables will work the lubricant along 😎 hopefully the action of the gearlever will feel nicer 🙂

Another thing to consider:

Try changing through all gears..
Engine OFF. then try Engine ON

Could point to a different item needing attention

Let us know what you find 👍
Can you please upload a photo of the cables you mention?
I got the 500L twinair 2013 with 160.000km and recently changed the platter tray but I still got a bit stucky gear changes on the 1st gear and on reverse.
Thank you very much for these tips already!

How the heck did you get to 160,000km oh my word I have a 1.4 easy and couldn’t even get to 50,000km with major mechanical issues and fuel consumption now can’t get better than 13km to a litre it’s crazy

How the heck did you get to 160,000km oh my word I have a 1.4 easy and couldn’t even get to 50,000km with major mechanical issues and fuel consumption now can’t get better than 13km to a litre it’s crazy
I got the 0,9l twinair version.
I also installed lpg and I travel a lot with no issues at all.
I have an average 8L/100 consumption which is the same like my smart fortwo.
I just change the oils every 7k km with the proper ones myself not at a garage shop where the put the cheap ones.

Back