Technical Twin-Air MPG

Currently reading:
Technical Twin-Air MPG

Both, some journeys I get up to 75mpg. This tends to be A and B road stuff.

General a tank returns 500miles + we don't tend to get less than 450miles but it's all down to the driver and really knowing the engines sweet spots.

The wife tends to drag the mpg down somewhat.

It's down to driving style IMO, I get great millage around town (in the summer as the stop start doesn't like cold ambient air temperatures), generally the problem is how easily the engine rev's or maybe I have the only one that can achieve fiats advertised mpg. I would like to add that mine doesn't use a drop of oil either.

I know what you're saying but as you probably saw in an earlier reply, I drove like an absolute nun over one tankful and the very best I got was 43 mpg. No where near the mpg quoted of 49 for just for urban despite the fact it was not all urban mileage I did. Lots of a and b road included. Even on a long motorway trip, not exceeding 70mph, I couldn't achieve the urban figure of 49, let alone the 61 quoted for extra urban. We sneaked in to 50 territory in the 50 mph limits but only just. Very disappointed......

I know what you're saying but as you probably saw in an earlier reply, I drove like an absolute nun over one tankful and the very best I got was 43 mpg. No where near the mpg quoted of 49 for just for urban despite the fact it was not all urban mileage I did. Lots of a and b road included. Even on a long motorway trip, not exceeding 70mph, I couldn't achieve the urban figure of 49, let alone the 61 quoted for extra urban. We sneaked in to 50 territory in the 50 mph limits but only just. Very disappointed......

CRICKEY, I can get 65mpg with the roof down, :/ I don't know what variances could cause such a difference.
A while back I posted about the mpg of our twinair and included a picture indicating 73mpg. That was a 100 odd mile round trip through villages towns and a - B roads between Diss and Kings Lynn in Norfolk.

We were very gentle during the first 2k miles to allow the engine to bed in.
That's all I can think off they may have made a difference.

CRICKEY, I can get 65mpg with the roof down, :/ I don't know what variances could cause such a difference.
A while back I posted about the mpg of our twinair and included a picture indicating 73mpg. That was a 100 odd mile round trip through villages towns and a - B roads between Diss and Kings Lynn in Norfolk.

We were very gentle during the first 2k miles to allow the engine to bed in.
That's all I can think off they may have made a difference.

It's intersting that there is so much disparity, your mpg seems generally to be an exception. I wonder is there more going on here then just driving style?

It's intersting that there is so much disparity, your mpg seems generally to be an exception. I wonder is there more going on here then just driving style?
Yes, Norfolk is very flat!!!

Don't get me wrong. I can be cruising along at 50mph in sixth and I can get an indicated instant mpg figure of 99.99mpg for short periods, but the reality of measuring over a tankful, both brim to brim and using the actual mpg figures on the computer demonstrate the real miles per gallon on my car.

As I said before, on my diesel Multipla, if i really tried I could get the quoted figures and I bought the TA 500L because the quoted figures were far in excess of the Multiplas. I fully expected to be able to acheive 50mpg in day to day use. But if I drive it normally, not even enthusiastically, I'm getting 38-40 brim to brim, mixed driving. God only knows what I'd get if I cained it everywhere.

The Multipla in general, always returned between 40-45 mpg in everyday use. Only when I thrashed eight bells out of it down the motorway at eighty, on a long journey, would it ever drop below 40mpg, brim to brim.

Maybe Elsie will improve with age, but if this is the best I'm gonna get, I will trade her in for a diesel sooner rather than later. This poor mpg figure has really taken the edge of the ownership of a new car. I know it seems trivial, but I really was expecting to save money on fuel, not cost me more. I don't want to have to tip-toe everywhere to get even acceptable mpg. I am disappointed, I have to be honest. :cry:

Don't get me wrong. I can be cruising along at 50mph in sixth and I can get an indicated instant mpg figure of 99.99mpg for short periods, but the reality of measuring over a tankful, both brim to brim and using the actual mpg figures on the computer demonstrate the real miles per gallon on my car.

As I said before, on my diesel Multipla, if i really tried I could get the quoted figures and I bought the TA 500L because the quoted figures were far in excess of the Multiplas. I fully expected to be able to acheive 50mpg in day to day use. But if I drive it normally, not even enthusiastically, I'm getting 38-40 brim to brim, mixed driving. God only knows what I'd get if I cained it everywhere.

:cry:

when waiting for delivery of my TA I asked a guy who had travelled around 7K miles in his, ( just run-in..) for reference MPG's,
he had just travelled from East Anglia to Newcastle 70mph on Cruise control,
registered 49.9mpg

i'm getting a weekly average of 47 mixed cycle..+ "lifetime" of 46.9,
so NOT fantastic,
but far better than my well cared for Mk2 I had to give-up when needing cruise, = 45MPG absolute best AND less power..!!:rolleyes:
Charlie

Last edited:
My current Doblo 1.6 gets no better mileage than my old JTD 1.9, even though Fiat promises about 10% better. I'm getting between 35 and 44! 55 on a mixed run if the wind is in the right direction.

The same engine, with a variable rate turbo and tweaked for a few more hp and more torque, gave me 59 around town (no jams) and offers nearly 70 at real motorway speeds in the new Suzuki. And that is driving like I stole it.

Reason, better aerodynamics, less frontal area, and a weight saving of over two hundredweight!

I don't pootle, and there is no doubt that the bench figures for the TA bear no relationship to the real mileage. Yes, we can all drive gently and avoid jams, and get decent mileage, but if a small, cleverly engineered engine in a smallish car can't offer better than 45/50 when driven very carefully I reckon it isn't worth the effort.

Fiats need to lose weight and get more powerful engines working less hard I reckon.

Last edited:
Mistake. Sorry, but I use the car's readout for fuel consumption. Brim to brim is all very well, but digital journey read outs average out as accurate enough for me over time, and all cars can be compared. Instant read outs I really see as a gimmick though, too erratic and valuable only as an interest in the moment to see how much acceleration and load affect immediate consumption.

Last edited:
Have you done a brim to brim check?

Based on the tank holding 7 gallons and between files seeing 500miles albeit on some occasions with only a litre of fuel left that works out in the region of 71mpg.
We haven't achieved less than 400miles between fills for a while now which works out at a min of 57mpg.

Sod herby the magical car there needs to be a Hugo the magical car. I sell the franchise to Disney and retire at 35 :)

Based on the tank holding 7 gallons and between files seeing 500miles albeit on some occasions with only a litre of fuel left that works out in the region of 71mpg.
We haven't achieved less than 400miles between fills for a while now which works out at a min of 57mpg.

Sod herby the magical car there needs to be a Hugo the magical car. I sell the franchise to Disney and retire at 35 :)

My lord! Are you sure you have a TA? Someone didn't sneak a diesel in there while Hugo was sleeping did they, lol! :p

when waiting for delivery of my TA I asked a guy who had travelled around 7K miles in his, ( just run-in..) for reference MPG's,
he had just travelled from East Anglia to Newcastle 70mph on Cruise control,
registered 49.9mpg

i'm getting a weekly average of 47 mixed cycle..+ "lifetime" of 46.9,
so NOT fantastic,
but far better than my well cared for Mk2 I had to give-up when needing cruise, = 45MPG absolute best AND less power..!!:rolleyes:
Charlie

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1385968217.743461.jpg
A quick 40mile run as I had to file the car up and thought I would just check I wasn't dreaming.

This is with the wife, baby pram etc in our little 500.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1385968315.700512.jpg

Not the best result but that's with extra weight and town village a and b and duel carriage way driving so IMO a fair test.

Back