General TW sooty deposits around the tail pipe.

Currently reading:
General TW sooty deposits around the tail pipe.

Bella500

Bella is now four months old and is returning 5.8l/100km (48.7 mpg) according to her display. She is an 85hp TW series three. We have only used Shell V-Power and she has done just over 4500km

Now the problem. There is quite a heavy deposit of soot on the tail pipe. Is this normal? Should we be worried? ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1428477206.769546.jpg

Any help would be gratefully received.

Judging from my car, it's completely normal, same as black deposits on your front wheels after a 15-minute drive after having just washed your car.

I haven't bothered to clean the tailpipe on my car, so not sure how long it would take before it went all black again. Probably not long at all.

Last edited:
Bella is now four months old and is returning 5.8l/100km (48.7 mpg) according to her display. She is an 85hp TW series three. We have only used Shell V-Power and she has done just over 4500km

Now the problem. There is quite a heavy deposit of soot on the tail pipe. Is this normal? Should we be worried?View attachment 152748

Ditto for mine and I use 98 RON exclusively.

You're right Sunsets - it doesn't take long. I clean it when I wash the car but, while most of it just wipes off, there still remains a harder base that needs more aggressive scrubbing.

I'm assuming it's normal and I wonder if the tailpipe tip design makes it more obvious.

Last edited:

Now the problem. There is quite a heavy deposit of soot on the tail pipe. Is this normal? Should we be worried?View attachment 152748

Mine is the same. I too only use Shell V-Power Nitro. I've not been too worried as it comes off with a bit of metal polish.

It seems to me, to be a problem with driving in traffic/towns.

If you go for a long fast sustained run - motorway etc - you'll find that the tail-pipe will be clean, but you must look as soon as you can, because it'll soot up quite soon again as you drive back into traffic.

Quite normal and nothing to worry about.

Cheers,
Mick.

Thanks everybody, seems that we all have the same issue so nothing to worry about.

Back