Technical Exhaust flexi pipe change

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust flexi pipe change

Hi all,

I need to change the dogbone engine mount on my 2008 1.2. On some models it seems possible to change this without removing the exhaust but upon looking at it, I don't have the clearance so the exhaust needs to come off.

After realising this I looked at the exhaust and realised that the flexi pipe is ****ed. I think when I take it off, it's likely to fall apart and be unusable so I want to get a new one before I even attempt to start this job.

I have seen the flexi pipe available, such as this. Is it possible to change only this part or am I better off getting a full centre section, such as this. The price difference isn't that much and the flexi pipe is used while the full centre section is new so I'm already leaning towards a whole new centre section.

I'm also thinking that while it may be possible to change just the flexi pipe, it may be that due to rust, separating that part from the rest of the pipe may not be worth the the effort, if at all possible.

Is there anything else I need to consider here?

Edit:
I also just remembered that there are many parts on this car that are identical to the Ford KA. Upon looking at parts for that I came across this. Would this be a possible solution?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This all depends on your skills and available tools. Besides things as exhaust paste, new gaskets some hardware the FlexPipe for the KA requires an angle grinder and a welder, the used pipe an angle grinder and an additional clamp that slides over both sides.

And for all 3 options you need to be careful not to damage other parts of the exhaust as it becomes brittle over time.

This all depends on your skills and available tools. Besides things as exhaust paste, new gaskets some hardware the FlexPipe for the KA requires an angle grinder and a welder, the used pipe an angle grinder and an additional clamp that slides over both sides.

And for all 3 options you need to be careful not to damage other parts of the exhaust as it becomes brittle over time.
Thank you. I didn't realise the FlexiPipe for the KA required that much work. I'm fine cutting up the old pipe with an angle grinder but unfortunately don't own a welder so that's out of the question.

I think I have some exhaust paste around from when I changed the exhaust on my motorbike.

I may end taking it to a garage for the simple fact that I don't have a lift and doing it on ramps seems like it's going to have me swearing a lot! Especially as you say, some parts are going to be brittle.

Hi again!
i would not bother with just the flexi pipe joint and would recommend doing the centre pipe as a whole piece!( just done it myself bloody fiddly and awkward working under the car on ramps but is possible!) best to take the back box of first! helps if you have one of them exhaust hanger rubber removal tools saves a lot of swearing and cussing! when trying to get em back on as you can pull in the right direction! lots of wd 40 as well!.
I got my pipe from CATS4 U (google it!) online!. be sure to get the one that matches your back box as there is a number of different types! if your back box has the long rear pipe that goes over the rear axle then you need the centre pipe that meets it there! as there is a centre pipe that is longer and joins the back box right at the back as it has just a stubby 4 inch pipe on it! so long back box pipe = shorter centre pipe and short back box pipe = longer centre pipe!
good luck!.

Sorry forgot to mention BM catalists dont have a good reputation for fitting very well based on there customer reviews! just saying!- also tyre and exhaust centres generally use klarius systems that dont last very well and seem to be very expensive!( my local mr exhaust centre asks £177 for the centre pipe i think i paid about £45 from Cats4u for mine!

Back