General Towbar for a sporting

Currently reading:
General Towbar for a sporting

Mattyk

Established member
anybody here have a towbar on their GP? want one that wont need the bumper cutting out :)

anybody here have a towbar on their GP? want one that wont need the bumper cutting out :)

dont think that can be done due to the shape of the bumper (then again someone had a flange ball fitted without a cut)

but the cut can't be seen this is my brink on the active (is the bumper any different anyway?)

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/142997-you-know-you-want-towbar-gps.html?p=1518820

also be aware it obstructs the rear towing eye point not a problem read my last post in the above (y)

dont think that can be done due to the shape of the bumper (then again someone had a flange ball fitted without a cut)

but the cut can't be seen this is my brink on the active (is the bumper any different anyway?)

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto/142997-you-know-you-want-towbar-gps.html?p=1518820

also be aware it obstructs the rear towing eye point not a problem read my last post in the above (y)

It can be done, you need a swan neck tow bar. (looks a bit weird:eek:) but you wont have to cut the bumper(y), there is a good company near me will sell it and fit it for like £150-200, but dont know where you are, sure there will be similar companys. looks something like this. think most swan necks are detachable too so you wont see any towbar untill you want it and clip it on.

Swan-Neck-Tow-Bar.jpg

I had a Brink detatchable fitted 3 weeks ago. You can barely tell it has been fitted once it is removed - you'd have to be on you hands and knees behind the car to know it had a towbar fitted and following the car on the road you'd never know.

The bumper has to be cut due to the shape of it, but all the cutting is underneath. The fitter who did mine kept the cutting to an absolute minimum, which makes fitting and removing the blanking plate a bit tricky, but he said had he made it easier, then the cut would be visible. It works fine and it looks OK, which is all you need. I'll try and post some pics a bit later on...

I had a Brink detatchable fitted 3 weeks ago. You can barely tell it has been fitted once it is removed - you'd have to be on you hands and knees behind the car to know it had a towbar fitted and following the car on the road you'd never know.

The bumper has to be cut due to the shape of it, but all the cutting is underneath. The fitter who did mine kept the cutting to an absolute minimum, which makes fitting and removing the blanking plate a bit tricky, but he said had he made it easier, then the cut would be visible. It works fine and it looks OK, which is all you need. I'll try and post some pics a bit later on...

IIRC from what i remember the detachable uses the same main frame as mine

(try to get your rear towing eye in ;) )

I'll try the towing eye tomorrow then...:chin:

Not had chance to do the pics yet - tomorrow hopefully.

I'll try the towing eye tomorrow then...:chin:

Not had chance to do the pics yet - tomorrow hopefully.

what it is with the towing eye is, the flange plate that bolts to the chassis rail covers said towing eye hole.....

I got a large shackle with an internal diameter/space of 40mm(ish) so if the worst comes to the worst i can have it pulled out or give someone a tow....

Last edited:
Pics, as promised. OK, the cutting isn't the neatest, but no one can see it. I'm happy with it anyway. Electrics socket drops down on a hinged plate.

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00142.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Re: Towbar for a sporting

what it is with the towing eye is, the flange plate that bolts to the chassis rail covers said towing eye hole.....

I got a large shackle with an internal diameter/space of 40mm(ish) so if the worst comes to the worst i can have it pulled out or give someone a tow....

You dont need your rear towing eye if u have a tow bar fitted. Hence the name!! :D

Back