Technical timing marks on jtd

Currently reading:
Technical timing marks on jtd

diesel dad

hi,does anyone know or have a diagram of the engine timing marks on the stilo 1.9 jtd?..as there is no haynes manual for this model,not willing to give fiat £200+ for fitting timing belt.car was non starter,diagnostic test done..faulty injection pump!..just need timing marks for fitting new belt...

lower part of the timing belt cover and crank pulley (there is a template that fits and lines everything up + holds the crank from rotating) never done a diesel (me experience extends in as far as a 1.8 petrol) but it can't be that much different so you would also need cam locks - you can get a set for around £100 (everything included in a nice box with a tensioner key). My template was off by 2 teeth though (well.. template wasn't but the crank was - so you might need to find TDC using a gauge - that’s another £60… you could use a screwdriver .. depends how good you are – me was hopeless needed to get the gauge :( 200 don't sound that bad actually oh you'll also need a set of gigantic torx keys 45 & 55 - and a flywheel choker as you'll need to remove crank pulley to change the belt and use the template – it should be in the timing set though) oh and a torque wrench to do up cam bolts and cover bolts (mess up cam bolts - might have oil flow problems and grind everything up or snap the bolt - rocker covers are way to easy to snap too) – that’s probably just over £200 in tools …

Last edited:
Hi All
In the past I have always made up my own timing marks with tipex before removing the old cam belt.
I did have a look at my JTD but decided I couldn’t be bothered it all looked a bit tight and fiddly.
I paid £170 all in but the gates cam belt kit was £75 so for the other £95 I let the garage have the agro.
Getting too old to role about under cars now.
Good luck.

Back