General Thinking of a 2012 Panda...

Currently reading:
General Thinking of a 2012 Panda...

Howdy all

Im usually in the Stilo and Bravo sections, but venturing over here!

Our second car, a Y plate 306HDI is nearing the end of its useful life, it has suffered a hit and run (only scrapes) however its leaking diesel on a full tank, front shocks have gone, electrics suffer voltage drops and its thrown a track rod end bush, as well as a leaky oil pipe to the turbo, and oil keeps reading low one minute and max the next, all of which is too costly to repair and the type of car is wrong for the use it gets.

Its used mainly for the mrs self employed work which is local driving, and stop start between patients- not good for a diesel lump thats got age against it.

So the new panda has caught our eye. initially she wanted a mini estate (too big) or a 500 (but the boot too small) the panda seems a right good compromise and the boot is just about big enough for her. What interested us even more is that a new (well pre-reg) panda is not that much more dearer than a 12 month old one. Arnold Clark are knocking out panda 1.2 pops for £6988.

How does that sound for price?

how is the 1.2 pop? anyone got one?

any help would be appreciated

Hello there,

I have a 1.2 Easy as opposed to a Pop, but I can't see any reason why a Pop won't do for your wife if it's used as described.

It is a little bit sparse (IMO) on standard equipment (no aircon, electric windows or six speaker stereo), but if you just need a really basic car that drives well then it is a fantastic choice. The 1.2 is an excellent unit, £30 a year road tax and it will be cheap as chips to run. Not to mention the fact that it can be quite fun to drive too!

Only thing I can think of that may need consideration is the rear seat; these sub 7k Pops are only four seaters and come with a bench seat as opposed to a 50/50 or 60/40 split/fold.

But if that isn't a problem then I really can't see a better car for your wife to purchase (at least at that price anyway).

Citigo/up/mII may be better choice for given segment, though maybe just a bit more pricey (but I'd expect to be able to get citigo for about 7.5K). While tad more expensive than Panda, its cheaper to insure, generally a better platform, with more refinement, and, amazingly more space inside for less outside dimensions. Pandas have much better kit at higher range, but its does not matter for you since you aiming for most basic models.

Last edited:
Citigo/up/mII may be better choice for given segment, though maybe just a bit more pricey (but I'd expect to be able to get citigo for about 7.5K). While tad more expensive than Panda, its cheaper to insure, generally a better platform, with more refinement, and, amazingly more space inside for less outside dimensions. Pandas have much better kit at higher range, but its does not matter for you since you aiming for most basic models.

Well, if you're happy to drive a washing machine on wheels then I quite agree with you....;):D

Well, if you're happy to drive a washing machine on wheels then I quite agree with you....;):D
Sorry, what do you mean by washing machine? I test driven one, and its quite a nice car. I didn't buy it only because automatic models are not good, and no way to get a good kit.

Ah, ok :) Was not sure if you meant looks (which may be questionable), or something bad with the drivetrain/handling (which are flawless in my opinion).
Looks of up! may be somewhat silly, but they have advantages - longer wheelbase I think at least contributes to better feel of comfort, and that short bonnet also gives you space inside and great view, while pushing wheels to the corners makes feeling the dimensions while maneuvering a cakewalk. But as far as pure looks go, Panda obviously is winner. Depends on what if you care more for pure practicality or not.

I've driven the Up and the Panda (TA) too, and the Panda is definitely the better car. The seat is more comfortable, as is the seating position - for me! I found the Up's driving seat didn't support me properly under my thighs. Also, the Up is very low, and one tester bottomed it over a speed bump :eek:. Since speed bumps are proliferating it makes no sense to get a car that can't properly deal with them. The Panda's suspension is slightly firmer than the Up's, but it is very well damped. As for the back seat, I shouldn't worry about not having three seatbelts, because you can't fit three real people across the seat anyway. Two normal size men are a squeeze.

I would miss the A/C, and does the Pop have remote locking, because if your wife is getting in and out all day long the lack of this could be a pain?

The price you mention is very good, but if you can wait a few months there will be other cheap cars along in the new year. But given the state of your Peugeot I would guess not.

The Panda is galvanized, well built, convenient, easy to drive and proven, so it has to be right up there on your list.

The seat is more comfortable, as is the seating position - for me! I found the Up's driving seat didn't support me properly under my thighs
This is the issue that lot of people moving from SUV-like bodied cars encounter. I've also encountered it when moved to Auris from Panda. But its not really fault of the seat - it simply means that seat needs to be moved back (while back needs bending forward).

Also, the Up is very low, and one tester bottomed it over a speed bump
Unless Panda Mk.3 is higher than Mk.2 (didn't look that way to me).
Mk.2 is 140 mm clearance. Unless you meant 4x4 which is higher.
Up! is 144 mm. It may look lower, but its not, it just appears so because of longer wheelbase. But suspension is softer, true. That what makes Panda ride "crisper", you feel road better. Up! doesn't vibrate that much in general driving though, so it depends on what you prefer.

Also, I'd say that Mk.2 is well proven, while Mk.3 is still not. While looking visually similar, Mk.3 is quite different platform, and built in different factory. It still lacks the proven track record of Mk.2

Last edited:
Sitting with your legs stuck out straight in front and with the seat back tilted forward is very bad ergonomically. The Up is one of those cars where, after you raise the seat, the front drops away leaving you unsupported. As for the ground clearance, I haven't checked the new Panda against the Up (the new Panda is higher than the old one by the way), but even if they were similar the Up's softer suspension, combined with the longer wheelbase, would make for easier bottoming out. Which it does seem to. The Panda, because the seats are set higher than the Up's, is far easier to get in and out of, and if you are hopping in and out regularly and having to clamber over curbs this can really matter. It means visibility is better too. The Up has awkwardly placed A pillars, whereas the better view out of the Panda is a plus point. So as far as I am concerned the Panda is far better than the Up ergonomically.

And when I drove the Panda TA I didn't notice any vibration. I did hear a very distinctive engine note though. The Up was very quiet around town, but also curiously unengaging, so just like a VW then :D As for looking like a white good, well, the Up does really, in fact I think it looks more like a paper folding exercise than a car. Not one of Giugiaro's best.

Last edited:
First of all hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum :). I hope that my english is good enough so you can understand me.

So here are my 5 cents. As a happy new owner of the new fiat panda 1.2 here are my thoughts.
I spent about 4 weeks choosing a car to buy, previously had a 1.4 2007 ford fiesta, and sold it because it was the second car in the family and it was too thirsty and a bit old so we decided to buy a new car. We checked out the nissan micra, vw up, skoda citigo, hyundai i20, citroen c3, hyundai i10 and the panda. We only test drove the micra, up, citigo and the panda. All in all i must say that the new panda is overall a more complete car than any of the above. The micra feals trully cheap and i didn`t like the overall ride quality, the vw and citigo both feel like you are just paying too much money for what you get, and the equipment is minimal. The only thing that these cars have beter then the panda is the fuel consumption, but i think it is marginal when you calculate what you get for your money. Also the panda should be cheaper to repair, maintain etc.
But the selling point for me is the smile factor. When you enter the panda, it puts a smile on your face.
So i would say, go for the panda, and i hope you will enjoy it as much as i do.

And when I drove the Panda TA I didn't notice any vibration.
I meant, you feel smallest bumps in the road pretty well, stiff suspension is stiff (well, at least not too bad unless you go for 100HP). But Panda is not really stellar in this respect, its light weight also does not help (too little inertia).
Lot of people think that well-insulating and "cushy" suspension is "dull", but I kind of like the comfort.

Also the panda should be cheaper to repair, maintain etc.
I pretty much doubt this claim, at least in regard to Mk.III. Even the insurance for most basic Panda Mk.III (Pop) is Group 4. While for Up! (and for Panda Mk.II) it is Group 1.

Last edited:
I love a comfortable cushioning ride too, but I don't like bottoming out. The Up needs better ground clearance to work properly on British roads. And I didn't notice small bumps smashing my teeth in the Panda, unlike for example in the Ford Fiesta or Honda Civic, which relay every imperfection directly to the seat and like many new cars are particularly uncomfortable on all but the smoothest roads. The old Panda Sporting, which I also drove, was the worst riding car I had ever driven and I really hated it, and it didn't sell, which didn't surprise me at all.

As for the new Panda, I thought it was very comfortable and particularly well damped and I don't remember being jolted by manholes or drops in the road surface at all. Yes, the car moves over bumps, but in a very well-sprung way. Ride must be very subjective because I am constantly being thrown about and pained when riding in new cars with terrible springing, and I long for the old Citroen DSs and Renault 16s and Fours of my youth. Car makers really have lost the art of making ordinary cars comfortable.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your posts!

As for not having aircon, thats no biggy... the 306's doesnt work anyway and that has leather seats!

The front windows in the one i looked at had electric windows, and as for the stereo, again we aint really fussed as my other half is actually deaf!

The Bravo is our main car anyways so as long as she can get her work stuff in the boot and the weekly shop, it should be ok.

I've heard a couple of horror stories about pandas cutting out when slowing down for roundabouts and traffic lights etc and not getting to the bottom of what causes it.

I pretty much doubt this claim, at least in regard to Mk.III. Even the insurance for most basic Panda Mk.III (Pop) is Group 4. While for Up! (and for Panda Mk.II) it is Group 1.
Look at his flag. He is not from UK. There are different insurance groups in Croatia.
For example here in Slovenia Panda falls into lowest road tax and insurance group. Also Fiat is known for cheapest official maintenance and we get five years warranty for free (new Panda model only).(y)

Thanks everyone for your posts!

As for not having aircon, thats no biggy... the 306's doesnt work anyway and that has leather seats!

The front windows in the one i looked at had electric windows, and as for the stereo, again we aint really fussed as my other half is actually deaf!

The Bravo is our main car anyways so as long as she can get her work stuff in the boot and the weekly shop, it should be ok.

I've heard a couple of horror stories about pandas cutting out when slowing down for roundabouts and traffic lights etc and not getting to the bottom of what causes it.

Not a problem!(y)

Well, based on what you have said here I'd go and see if you can snap up one of these Panda Pops then. I am sure you won't be disappointed with it, it really is a lovely little car to drive, irrespective of the trim level.

As for the cutting out scenarios - I haven't heard of any stories so far with the new model? The basic parts are of course the same as in the 500, and I don't recall ever seeing any similar stories on that section either. In short, I don't think you have anything unduly to worry about:D

Look at his flag. He is not from UK. There are different insurance groups in Croatia.
For example here in Slovenia Panda falls into lowest road tax and insurance group. Also Fiat is known for cheapest official maintenance and we get five years warranty for free (new Panda model only).(y)

Very good point!

A 5 year warranty in Slovenia? Lucky you!:)

We only get two years in the UK, and maybe three if you are lucky to get a fault that is covered...

Well I am not lucky yet as I don`t own a new panda but I am in the process of ordering a new car and Panda is one option. Don`t like the fact I have to wait up to three months for delivery from the factory as I would like a mediterranean blue lounge with some extra options like techno&flex pack but local dealer only has red, white and black in stock at the moment.:(

As for 5 years warranty. It is called extended warranty and you have to pay extra for it. But Panda and now also new 500L get this for free.

Well my Slovenian friend buy the Panda, because you now have a 1 500 euro discount.. I paid my 1.2 easy with extra techno pack (blue&me) 10 400 euro, and i don`t get ESP as standard!!! :bang: and the sadest thing is that your dealer and mine are the same: Autocommerce. And i get 2 years of waranty.

I just configured the same car i got, and in Slovenia it would cost 9 311 euro. If i would put ESP to my car that is 300 euro more.That is a difference of 1 389 euros just because i live 22 km farther from the border. :bang:(n)

Back