Technical strange overheating problem

Currently reading:
Technical strange overheating problem

About 5cc. Generally if the compression improves over doing it dry, then the rings are at fault.

Two reasons for honing. First, there's always a wear ridge at the top of the cylinder. If a new ring hits that it is very likely to break. Second, honing is a sort of single use file, which beds the rings in. Otherwise the bore glazes and the rings never seal properly.

Hi folks, some updates of all that what i am doing.

I decided split an engine. Engine head off engine shops, nicely skimed, and tested. all ok.

when i split an engine, i was taken out cylinders, first one i pushed wrong way, and to make it go right way damaged oil ring. ... didnt expect a trouble to get rings, ... any ways... got one set for one cylinder .. 25 euro (around 20 GBP for 3 rings :( )
when i was comparing rings ... the third ring (top one ) was pretty worn ... over 1 mm... id say good 1.5 mm to compare new ring.
Also discoverd scratches on piston ... and bearings ... after yous look on all that, would you suggest change bearings (those half moon like), and other 3 piston rings (each piston have 3 rings), one i changed already.

All pistons and bearings has similar scratches.

In pictures piston with all three new rings.

DSC07386.jpg

DSC07388.jpg

DSC07390.jpg

THANKS

Last edited:
Something fairly nasty has probably gone on there. What does the big end look like?

Big ends looks ok... well, to be honest, i never saw good or bad big end. I suppose it is in average condition.
Engine condition, i would say, at some point oil havent been changed for long time. Oil rings very dirty, also in sump there was kind thick ... like glue oil ish substance..... oil channels very dirty, kind of half blocked.

everything cleaned.

At some stage headgasket been gone, but never done head skimming. could see sandpaper marks on head.

Going put new piston rings, and new big end bearings. today will try assemble everything, tomorrow put in car, and try fire up.

Put everything back. Punto working. Another punto saved from scrapyard..... happy days.

So changed all big end bearings, all piston rings (i didnt know that 1.2 16v have same ,), new gasket from oil pump side and flywheel side, new cranshft seal, o ring from coilpacks side, headgasket, skimmed and tested engine head, gearbox differential bearings and main driveshft bearing and oil seal.
made a video, just seconds, after i started the engine.

http://youtu.be/8D3HMYeP6lM

thanks everyone for help.

Last edited:
Back