Technical Stilo loosing water

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo loosing water

I have been keepping an eye on the Oil and there is no sign of the water mixing, also the water bottle is clean.

I'm hoping it's just the Rad i don't really fancy having the H/G done.

If it is the H/G then i'm afraid the car will have to be put to sleep.

I have been keepping an eye on the Oil and there is no sign of the water mixing, also the water bottle is clean.

You don't always get water in the oil or oil in the water when a head gasket starts to leak.

If it's only a slight leak, water will enter the combustion chamber and immediately turn to steam and come out the exhaust pipe. As the leak gets worse, excess water will emulsify with the oil.

I think the problem is solved (fingers crossed). Today I found a small lake under the car and coolant level has dropped around 1 inch below the minimum mark. Took it straight to my mechanic and we found that one of the brackets holding one of the LPG systems’ hoses was pretty loose and was leaking a small amount of coolant. And it leaks only when the engine is cold, I assume when warm the hose expands and fits tight. So… hoping for the best… will check it first thing in the morning tomorrow…

Can anyone tell me a major leak from the back side of the engine , the side that face to the cabin ,where to look?

Can anyone tell me a major leak from the back side of the engine , the side that face to the cabin ,where to look?

Think yours is a 1.6 Nik ?

This is the only picture I can find of the back. Looks like there are several places a leak could come from:

Head Gasket.
Water pump seal.
Water pump gasket where it fixes to the engine block.
Water pump to metal pipe gasket.
Metal pipe corroded.
One or both rubber pipes to the metal pipe.
One or both of the core plugs.

Attachments

• Stilo 1600 Engine.jpg
    Stilo 1600 Engine.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Davren but I have the 1.2 16v engine

This is the back side

Ip0i1hJ.jpg

What do you think?

There are the hose for the heater radiator going inside the cabin.

Temps are near zero at morning.

This is the case.

I top up with coolant, I drive for 30km, use hot air for cabin and when I stop the car the coolant level is full. After 30min I see water below the car, diameter 70cm and the level is not min, is completely empty.

Then if I drive again with empty level, there is no leak at all and temps are 84-92 C. I never saw high coolant temp.Also the hoses for engine and LPG reducer are full of water and LPG run ok. I have to add 2Lt of coolant to top up and then the leak comes again

Last edited:
I located the coolant leak and it seems that its a common location for 1.2 16v 188A5000 engine.

The leak is from inlet manifold at the temperature sensor and at the plastic joint to the cabin heater hose.

EhTjvZm.jpg

afkjsr0.jpg

LYd6VkS.jpg

Last edited:
Today I repaired the coolant leak

Cost of the parts 70€ (temp sensor+housing 20€, inlet manifold seals 40€, Paraflu 10€

Service cost 40€

Ready to lift

kLXwxgf.jpg

Engine without inlet manifold

oVRyX75.jpg

Inlet manifold with new temp sensor and seals

MSJyfPO.jpg

The replaced part temp sensor and housing

NPAC0dq.jpg

Last edited:
Back