Technical STILO 1.6 16v Starting Problem [ECU?]

Currently reading:
Technical STILO 1.6 16v Starting Problem [ECU?]

Could it be this D4 connector?

my battery cover has a screw missing maybe its damaged it in some way? :O

Take a step back and look at what your car is telling you

Lost connection = open circuit ie losing connection
Security Failure= anything in the line from the ignition switch aerial up to and including the ECU

Clues
Relays clicking on and off =bad earth- poor connection- which relays?
Only happens when hot= expansion is causing the lost connection

So now the work,you have to find where the open circuit is occuring. Study wiring diagrams and be methodical

Start at the battery and do earth checks as per the STILO GUIDES
Then check ecu earth is good
Check through all lines from ignition switch to ECU including the D4 connector
Might well be poor quality connections at the ECU

Last edited:
This is what happens when the garage diagnose the ECU as faulty.

They fit a new ECU (which 'cures' the fault because it has clean contacts) but really all they needed to do was clean the contacts on the old one.

Ha! Saudi logic. Tyres wear down , buy a new car:)

I think what Mick could really do with is a skilled auto electrician

RAC cleaned all connections
and checked all the earths around the battery / ecu

everything seems to be connected up fine, auto electrician i spoke to on phone said he'll see me but not today and that i need my spare key which my dads going to post to me 'not tried the spare key'

Although im not convinced it would work but worth a shot

well i just get refused due to only moving to this address 3 month ago lol

retardsssss no wonder car industry is a mess :p

sO IM STUCK with this for another 3 or so month JOY

glad i have a car that just is the most unreliable thing ever

wts next for me to try just the ECU ? :/

RAC are just to get you home. You need a skilled and dedicated auto electrician to narrow down
where the fault lies. As your car works fine at times then the cure will be quick once you've narrowed down just where the fault is.

I asked before, what relays are clicking? Even what panel are the relays on?
Is the security light always on when it won't start?

You need to print out the relevant wiring diags and component position diags and give your electrician as much helpful info as you can so they can narrow down and fix.

Last edited:
Not sure what relays are ticking to be honest the 1 of the red ones on there.

My 2nd key seems to of got lost in the post as it was sent 2 weeks ago now from ireland :/

I'm at witts end with what to do with my car some days its barable some days its not.

Without the 2nd key what are my options to still goto a auto electrician?

The immobiliser light flashes too with all the other error messages, I think its something to do with immobilser.

Anyone had this fault and know who i can take it too around East cheshire / knutsford

Whats best thing for me to try?

Key has been lost in post by looks of things.....

would a new ECU fix it regardless if it costs 400fitted?

Re: Stilo starting problem (Please read techy's!)

Hi All
This is going to sound stupid but it’s true, I had a fault on a car a few years ago that took forever to find, very similar car died when hot started when cooled down.
It turned out to be a porous heater hose, when warmed up it fired a very fine jet of water onto the electronic ignition module causing it to short, once the water pressure dropped the jet of water stopped and the residual heat from the engine dried out the ignition and the car started again.
The jet was almost invisible the only way I found it was when I was poking around the water hit my hand. It wasn’t even enough to drop the water level noticeable.
Anyway that’s the story might be worth a very careful look at the hoses when the engine is hot, maybe around the ecu connections or anywhere the hoses are near the electrics.
Good luck
Thanks, for the message. Mine is a Fiat Stilo 1.6 Active, hopefully 04 or 05 model and immediately after breaking the cambelt, had multiple problems, like revs counter not exceeding 3.5 and speed not exceeding 100 and with an "engine fault" and "spanner" message on and the engine starting only when it is cool and stops when applying breaks and starts after some few minutes but when the engine is hot it never starts. I think i will try to check the water hose when the engine is hot and see if stopping the leak could solve the starting problem.

Thanks, anyway

Back